The disappearance of the play action pass? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The disappearance of the play action pass?

ZOD

Ruler of the Universe
Reaction score
I'm still reading information on the Bill Walsh offense and I came across an article he wrote for American Football Monthly. I have not even finished the article because I wanted to throw this observation out.

Could Wade Smith be responsible for the disappearance of the play action pass? I don't know if he has been "selling" it well because I have not been looking for it but it is interesting to note that Walsh points out that Smith's job is an integral part of the play action.

Bill Walsh - "Unfortunately, the necessity for fundamentals of ball handling and play-faking are sometimes overlooked by coaching staffs. These staffs will not take the time to make sure that the entire team understands what they are trying to do with a play-pass (For example, the back-side tackle must understand that he could be the critical factor in the tell-tale recognition by the defense that the play is a play-pass.) The coaches have the responsibility to make certain that everyone understands what the team is attempting to accomplish with any given play and how each individual player's execution factors into the entire equation of that particular play.

Preparing to run the play-pass as part of an offensive package requires that it be given a specific period time in practice. One facet of this would be to schedule sessions before practice or after practice with the running backs, the quarterback and a center-you must have a center at all times. The coach will go through the drills. These sessions do not require being performed at full-speed. However, the techniques have to be detailed and repeated so the physical part of running the play will become second nature for each player. Often, after practicing this way and becoming accustomed to the philosophy of the play-pass, a second or third-year player will become very adept at play-pass faking. Whereas, during a game or a pressure situation, the freshman or rookie will revert to other things because he just does not have the poise to sustain the fake-poise is essential. Developing an effective play-passing game requires isolated sessions before and after practice, in spring ball, pre-season and during the season."

The line coach will not necessarily like the play-pass because his linemen must make contact at the line of scrimmage at least to the side being attacked. On the back side of the play, conceivably you could drop people back; but even in that case it can be immediately noted and read by an alert and well-coached defense. It is not so much that the defender will say, "I saw that tackle do something, therefore, I need to this...", but it is more of a feel they can get for how the play is unfolding-the play just does not look right if you do a poor job in technique and the defenders can sense it.

If your opposing team scouts you, as they inevitably will, they can determine that you are a play-pass team. They are going to look for the indicators-such as the tackle drops on his play-pass and he attacks on the run. The more sophisticated defensive coaches and teams will look for indicators of play-passes by any player that will give them a chance to make the initial determination and recognition of the play.

The offensive line can be an easy place for defenses to find indicators. One of the easy reads for the defense, is if a lineman's helmet pops up. The helmets and pads of offensive linemen have to stay at the same level as on a run play. The secondary defenders, corners or safeties. will see those helmets pop up or the tackle drop back and they know immediately that it is a pass. (For example, if the corner to the open side of the field is looking through an offensive tackle right to the quarterback and he sees that tackle's helmet pop up and step back-he will not care what the fake is, unless it is a fake draw-he will automatically know that the play is a play-pass.)"

Last edited by a moderator:
Then again, it could be a combination as displayed by this question to Walsh at the end of the article.

AFQ: What is the biggest potential obstacle to a successful play-pass?

BW: Play-passing gives up or concedes the ability to effectively deal with wide stunts and some blitzes. What you are looking for is a very base defense to run play-passes against. You are taking a calculated risk when you run a play-pass that the defense could be running some sort of stunt or something that you cannot block effectively. The quarter-back must understand this and be prepared to get rid of the ball or take a hit if necessary.

John Ritchie as a blocker and Konrad for your team can help his, getting blitz men. Ritchie blocks good enough to switch outside edge blockers men so they can downblock and help your guards, which forces LB and SS to sink and fill a run gap.
Your Guards tend to cheat up more...playing hurt does not help technique though. Use it to your advantage start early by showing presnap something they expect. The Eagles love to blitz so the play pass is risky but a must do with Ricky and Norv's system.
Mcnabb's mobility will challenge your speed rush guys if they get upfield too far he can break a play. Focus more on contain gap early and force him to be patient and find the third read. He usually runs on the second read and having no gap space will force him to go lateral to the line and give your D time run him down with speed. Phins DE have tremednous recovery speed also look for Taylor to make plays downfield after his initial upfield step. Mcnabb tends to let the ball get compromised when he runs in open space as contact nears he covers up.
Ritchie vs. Seau/Zach is a great matchup, the best runblock FB meets the legend LB's in a throw-down. Bruise brothers showdown at the second level for each team with these men, espicially if the D line penetrates since JR and RK can each knock heads with the best of them.
Norv has used more pullguard leads of late, perhaps when does go play pass he will pull a guard to fake the run motion. This would make safeties bite the read while the tackle fade step can be a good way to invete/influence the weakside speed rush on the counter.
Ricky's counter play forces teams to respect weakside T read for play pass when the other OL maintain that runleverage as Walsh noted.
I will try to get this other post promised for tonight's game , other duties called previous... good luck. Two great playoff caliber D's will meet. After this game is anything left from the brutal snow game last week? This fan thinks so, Ricky is the ride with a full tank and then some. All those summer bikefests between Miami-St.Pete there and back will show. His stamina should be no question now!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom