The Dolphins Appear To Have A Plan | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Dolphins Appear To Have A Plan

I absolutely think there is a plan.
I know some people are going to hate on Grier, and I was not in favor of keeping him when Tannenbaum and Gase were fired.
But it is clear that Grier:
1) knows we need a franchise QB and is going to try to find a way to land one.
2) values draft picks vs trading them away. He is looking at having 12 (with comp picks) for next year.
3) He cut the fat and is starting from the ground up. I would say a rebuild job IS a plan. Cut the contracts, add draft picks, create cap room, extend your own(yet to happen) and find a QB.
If that's not a plan, I don't know what is. And while it may seem obvious, how few teams do this? Eagles, Patriots, ....Steelers? It seems so simple, but not always carried out. We'll see if down the road he gets desperate, but for now he is doing things right and I think we should give him credit for doing certain things well.
And I was NOT liking the Rosen trade Friday night; I have since come around to understand it better, as well as seeing Rosen in a better light than I did, my point being I am not some blind Grier homer. He has earned my appreciation for what he has done. I am actually interested in this season now.

There clearly is a plan. Many people complained and didn't understand why the Dolphins acquired Fitzpatrick when they were rebuilding. It looks like they planned all along to acquire a QB via draft or trade this year. I think if Rosen wasn't in play they would have drafted Haskins. When Rosen came into play, I believe he became a better and safer option at QB than all the QBs in the draft except for Murray. Trading down to get Rosen was brillant! Why give them the 48th pick when you can give them a lower pick while picking up a 2nd rounder for next year!

I have been a LONG SUFFERING Dolphin fan for 47 years but I will give this new regime time and the benefit of the doubt. I think they are doing a GREAT job thus far. If Rosen proves to be pedestrian and the Fins suck this year, they can find a QB next year and make Rosen their backup QB on the cheap. If Rosen is the man this year, the Fins can build the team around him with tons of picks in next year's draft and trade down to maintain picks for future drafts just like the Pats. Win-win all the way around and an excellent plan!

They've had a plan since off season started and stuck to it. A lot more confident in them doing well with the strong position we should be in with regards to the draft picks/salary cap next year

Cleveland laid the blueprint for this type of plan. It took them several years to get the right players in place. But they didn't come full circle until the took Mayfield #1 last year. They already had lots of talent there. Mayfield was the final piece to their puzzle. Miami has tons of cap space moving forward, lots of draft picks and a GM determined to add more. He has a lot of option even if Miami, surprises and wins more than expected. This feels like this will be the new norm in Davie. The New England Patriots and Cleveland Browns, they've set the precedent moving forward. Miami was just a tad late to the party. But now are all in.

Not really. The progress started in 2017 when Dorsey took over at GM.
Here is a great article.
https://dawgpounddaily.com/2019/04/...raft-day-trades-cleveland-browns-john-dorsey/

The football gods are finally smiling on our Dolphins. Getting Rosen a year later (and Falk, that’s two highly rated qb’s from the 2018 class) was unthinkable last year, having 12 picks next year in the year of the quarterback derby and not needing one, and a serious rebuild by a current active winning nfl coach and we don’t have Lamar Jackson, or any of the reach prospects we considered. This draft did show the homework that our scouts put in looking at everyone. We found some gems with limited options. I am very happy to jump back in to the Dolphin pool. I was on the verge of not caring. I’m back Ross, good job!

I wasnt a fan of Rosen and didnt want him......... But the way we got him was nothing short of genius. The Dolphins are beginning to act like a grown up franchise..... Also, I have since come around on Rosen. Give him 2 years, if it doesnt work do whatever it takes to get Lawrence.

The plan they laid out by their decision making is to build from the ground up not from the 3rd or 4th floor

I don’t see a significant number of wins after our draft which was meat and potatoes and we need meat and potatoes

I don’t see any change to that plan except that they were floated a possible scratch and win ticket on the relatively cheap with Rosen

This scratch and win ticket may prove to be a find - or we have the draft capital to move around next year

This is a great Catch 22 and it is rare for the Phins to be in this position - like a later said every snap means that much more now

How long has it been since Miami looked like they had a coherent plan to build the roster?

Since Jimmy Johnson was drafting maybe?

The Fins actually look like they know what they are doing for the first time in forever.
I agree and it excites me. No idea whether the plan will work, but the absence of one for so long has been most disconcerting.

For the most part they're following that plan. They prioritized guys who stay healthy, love football and are willing to grind, fit their schemes, and are willing to sacrifice for the good of the team. They've skewed this rebuild so that we have fewer assets in 2019 but more in 2020, so we can tank and get better draft position but stockpile young talent so that the core of the team (2020 and 2021 classes) can grow and develop together. They're implementing their systems and bringing in scheme fits.

If they keep this up, I think it gives us the best chance to succeed that we've seen in years. As long as we don't bring in people who undermine the culture and work ethic, this just might work.

Yet, there are those that want to do whatever it takes to get the #1 pick next year, even if Rosen goes to the pro bowl.

That’s just stupid... people act like there are 4 or 5 sure thing QB’s in the next draft... there are not I assure you.

Rosen is an excellent passer who looks to be perfect to me to run the Tom Brady Patriot offense... lets see if he can pull it off when it counts.

I saw a very accurate QB last year whose entire O-line was on IR by midseason.

Hedging qb bets must be the plan. Which also reads to me like self preservation by Grier

Hedging qb bets must be the plan. Which also reads to me like self preservation by Grier
Wouldn't you hedge your bet with QB's if you can a 1 year first rounder and have ammo to get another the next year if you feel the need. Keep taking one until you have one. That's the way to build and have competition.

Wouldn't you hedge your bet with QB's if you can a 1 year first rounder and have ammo to get another the next year if you feel the need. Keep taking one until you have one. That's the way to build and have competition.

That’s the way to keep a job lol. Can’t say I blame Grier in that regard. Keep pushing back tbe this is my guy I’m gonna ride or die with qb decision

Let's hope the plan includes Offensive Linemen who can protect Rosen or whoever Miami may select, to play QB, over the next 2 seasons. Hopefully they can pass protect like New England, those dudes keep Brady clean!!!

Not only do the Dolphins have a plan, it appears they have a clue!

Back
Top Bottom