The Dolphins Appear To Have A Plan | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Dolphins Appear To Have A Plan

jimthefin

Club Member
Reaction score
How long has it been since Miami looked like they had a coherent plan to build the roster?

Since Jimmy Johnson was drafting maybe?

The Fins actually look like they know what they are doing for the first time in forever.

There's no real plan other than just a rebuild job. I'm not going to give Chris Grier that much credit. He's just been given a clean slate, and has no pressure to win currently from his owner.

I absolutely think there is a plan.
I know some people are going to hate on Grier, and I was not in favor of keeping him when Tannenbaum and Gase were fired.
But it is clear that Grier:
1) knows we need a franchise QB and is going to try to find a way to land one.
2) values draft picks vs trading them away. He is looking at having 12 (with comp picks) for next year.
3) He cut the fat and is starting from the ground up. I would say a rebuild job IS a plan. Cut the contracts, add draft picks, create cap room, extend your own(yet to happen) and find a QB.
If that's not a plan, I don't know what is. And while it may seem obvious, how few teams do this? Eagles, Patriots, ....Steelers? It seems so simple, but not always carried out. We'll see if down the road he gets desperate, but for now he is doing things right and I think we should give him credit for doing certain things well.
And I was NOT liking the Rosen trade Friday night; I have since come around to understand it better, as well as seeing Rosen in a better light than I did, my point being I am not some blind Grier homer. He has earned my appreciation for what he has done. I am actually interested in this season now.

I like the fact that there's not only a plan, but we are set up well with options if things don't work out.

For instance if Rosen doesn't show much this next year, we have the firepower to go after a QB next year. Or, if he does show that he was worth the 1st round last year, we can use those picks to build around him. We also have the option to give him 2 yrs and then go after a QB in 2021.

Bottom line - smart moves have put us in great position to turn this thing around without having to rely on cheap-ass tanking tactics.

There's no real plan other than just a rebuild job. I'm not going to give Chris Grier that much credit. He's just been given a clean slate, and has no pressure to win currently from his owner.

Which means there's a plan.

Having a plan doesn't make a GM good or even bad. Some of you try too hard to insult players/staff that you don't like.
Like admitting Grier has a plan suddenly means he's the best GM in the league lol.

How long has it been since Miami looked like they had a coherent plan to build the roster?

Since Jimmy Johnson was drafting maybe?

The Fins actually look like they know what they are doing for the first time in forever.

Totally agree... come the 2020 draft we are loaded with picks to put this roster together...if Rosen balls out...we don’t have to draft a 1st round QB next year!

There is a plan, and to me it looks long term. We haven't seen that for a while. Ross hit the nail on the head when he said they were wrong for thinking they were one player away for all those years. That causes Dion Jordans, Suhs, and Davante Parker's. Players that weren't needed for the capital it took to acquire them.

This FO seems to understand a build needs to start from the roots and develop. They were smart with their draft picks and are making moves to help them be smart with money.

If all this doesn't pan out and in 2021, 2022 we are 8-8, 9-7 again then I can't say I'll be pissed. They had a plan, worked it, and it didn't work out. At least that's better than what they've been doing the last decade.

ermmm..hes been given a clean slate? or he cleaned the slate and then acted on his plan?

I think there's a plan on defense. Flores knows what he wants on defense. I don't know about the offense until I see it. I imagine it's going to be similar to NE, but I don't know what that means in terms of personnel.

They are off to a great start so far.

Totally agree... come the 2020 draft we are loaded with picks to put this roster together...if Rosen balls out...we don’t have to draft a 1st round QB next year!

Yet, there are those that want to do whatever it takes to get the #1 pick next year, even if Rosen goes to the pro bowl.

Lots of posts cheering the Patriots way. Need to be careful there as what the Patriots do is aquire lots of draft picks via trading around in the draft and miss on their fair share. It's going to take next year's draft to determine if we are really that good as a 2nd rounder next year is what we gained with a net of 6 picks instead of 7 picks this year.

Cleveland laid the blueprint for this type of plan. It took them several years to get the right players in place. But they didn't come full circle until the took Mayfield #1 last year. They already had lots of talent there. Mayfield was the final piece to their puzzle. Miami has tons of cap space moving forward, lots of draft picks and a GM determined to add more. He has a lot of option even if Miami, surprises and wins more than expected. This feels like this will be the new norm in Davie. The New England Patriots and Cleveland Browns, they've set the precedent moving forward. Miami was just a tad late to the party. But now are all in.

Back
Top Bottom