The Dolphins Had A Plan At Tight End, Then Life Intervened. Here’s What’s Next. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Dolphins Had A Plan At Tight End, Then Life Intervened. Here’s What’s Next.

I have a ton of faith in Gisecki. He needs some more experience like every other rookie TE. I'm certain that it took most of the greats a year or two to light it up. In the meantime O'Leary is a very good find. I always hated him when he was a Nole! I'm a U of M fan!! But, O'Leary can play.

O'Leary was a very good player at FSU, never great at anything, but good at a lot of things. I was surprised that he was cut as he seems like the player who would have a role on most teams because he can do so many things. Either way, I am glad we have picked him up.

As far a Gesicki, I was big on him, but the more I watch him the more I feel like he is never going to develop. The guy tests above everyone else at the position, yet when he runs and moves on the field, he doesn't look athletic which is weird because he seems to have all the numbers...explosive, fast, and strong, but to see him move it is like doing football things or making cuts is the most unnatural thing he has ever done.

Sorry, that is a rather poor sentence, but it is difficult to explain. I guess I am trying to say that while he seems like a freak athlete, he is not a naturally gifted move player, not smooth and almost awkward on the field.

I doubt I am making sense, but yeah.
The biggest knock on O'leary coming into the draft was his speed. He ran a 4.93 at the combine. I don't think anybody is going to mistake him as the second coming of Travis Kelce or the reincarnation of Tony Gonzalez, but the kid has heart and intelligence. I think how he is being used as an H-Back fits him perfectly.

The biggest knock on O'leary coming into the draft was his speed. He ran a 4.93 at the combine. I don't think anybody is going to mistake him as the second coming of Travis Kelce or the reincarnation of Tony Gonzalez, but the kid has heart and intelligence. I think how he is being used as an H-Back fits him perfectly.

Yes, he is a very good role player...3rd TE type who will contribute.

I have a ton of faith in Gisecki. He needs some more experience like every other rookie TE. I'm certain that it took most of the greats a year or two to light it up. In the meantime O'Leary is a very good find. I always hated him when he was a Nole! I'm a U of M fan!! But, O'Leary can play.

Agreed. Some see AMAZING rookie TEs and think that's the norm. It isn't. My problem is it looked to me like Gase had decided 'until Gesicki proves he can block well we won't target him.' No evidence, just opinion. I think he needs experience and a year in an NFL weight room. He may never be All-Pro. That's OK. He needs to be productive.

Agreed. Some see AMAZING rookie TEs and think that's the norm. It isn't. My problem is it looked to me like Gase had decided 'until Gesicki proves he can block well we won't target him.' No evidence, just opinion. I think he needs experience and a year in an NFL weight room. He may never be All-Pro. That's OK. He needs to be productive.

I get the same feeling as well. I would seriously feel more comfortable splitting him out wide instead of Parker, at least he can make a contested catch and fights for the ball. But it is odd that everyone knew he couldn't block coming out of college, so if it is a requirement in Gase's offense that all TE's are good blockers why bother drafting him?

I get the same feeling as well. I would seriously feel more comfortable splitting him out wide instead of Parker, at least he can make a contested catch and fights for the ball. But it is odd that everyone knew he couldn't block coming out of college, so if it is a requirement in Gase's offense that all TE's are good blockers why bother drafting him?

I've wondered the same thing. Not sure about feeling "more comfortable," but, IIRC, not much difference in the 40, and, if nothing else, would give Gesicki competition for for the 'big receiver' snaps. May be the catalyst he needs. And, as you say, at least he'll fight contested balls.

I really wanted us to draft Goedert but was ok with Gesicki. We need to use him thought. He's not going to get better unless we go to him. I still think they've been using him the wrong way. Throw it to him high in the middle of the field and he will go get it. Instead we're trying to make him a blocker and going to him outside which is not what he does best.

I really wanted us to draft Goedert but was ok with Gesicki. We need to use him thought. He's not going to get better unless we go to him. I still think they've been using him the wrong way. Throw it to him high in the middle of the field and he will go get it. Instead we're trying to make him a blocker and going to him outside which is not what he does best.
He has actually really improved his blocking and I like how they are improving him. The problem I have is that you have to expect both rookie tight ends need a lot of development, so you should plan for that. Having only Derby and Gray in front of him is certainly not a proven veteran. It was just terrible roster management at a position we have sucked at since Charles Clay left.

For comparison, who a lot of us wanted instead- Dallas Goedert has 13 catches, 113 yds, and 1 td. Not much better, though he does have Zach Ertz right in front of him.

Gesicki has been an interesting "case study" in development... Obviously a pass catching TE vs. bulldozer yet we seemingly have him focused on blocking more than spread out running down the seam / attacking the deep middle etc. (where you'd assume he's athletic chops might shine).

He's a long strider who doesn't appear "quick" and as other have noted -- not the most natural fluid footballer. I do think his blocking has marginally improved tho I don't ever see him being a stud in that area. So I assume the coaching staff is trying to build his overall game with a focus on positional basics and techniques -- counting on the fact his athleticism will kick in after that.

Last, it's way too early to project what the finished product is gonna look like -- tho I have to admit I anticipated more immediate impact from the kid. But I think part of "that" relates to the way the staff is bringing him along...

BNF.

Back
Top Bottom