The Dolphins have #5, #18 and #26 in the first round | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Dolphins have #5, #18 and #26 in the first round

If the oline was somewhat viable, I would normally agree. Not this year, not with a talent thin roster. And throwing money at it wont solve anything.
Yes it will, I don't trust putting our franchise QB's behind pure Rookies and UDFA's.. We are going to sign a few Olinemen this offseason of that you can be certain.. You have to have veterans for these rookie Linemen to learn the ropes from so I do think we draft 2 maybe 3 linemen but we will sign at least 2 top tier free agent Olinemen as well if we are smart.

Yes it will, I don't trust putting our franchise QB's behind pure Rookies and UDFA's.. We are going to sign a few Olinemen this offseason of that you can be certain.. You have to have veterans for these rookie Linemen to learn the ropes from so I do think we draft 2 maybe 3 linemen but we will sign at least 2 top tier free agent Olinemen as well if we are smart.

2 top tier? I guess some haven't learned. The rest is just typical cliches.

My draft picks in the first round

#5 Simmons
# 18 Kinlaw - if he is already off the board draft the best OL prospect on their board.
#26 Austin Jackson

2 top tier? I guess some haven't learned. The rest is just typical cliches.
I think overpaying for short-term deals for 2 top tier o lineman would be a smart move. Maybe 2 year deals. It wouldn't tie up your future cap space, and as Gonzofinfan said it would solidify the line in the short term and allow the drafted linemen to develop and learn.

I think overpaying for short-term deals for 2 top tier o lineman would be a smart move. Maybe 2 year deals. It wouldn't tie up your future cap space, and as Gonzofinfan said it would solidify the line in the short term and allow the drafted linemen to develop and learn.

Ok, what type of FA is going to sign 2 year deals? The wrong side of 30 and injury concerns. Still haven't learned a thing.

I want the oline fixed, but you do it through the draft. Maybe grab 1 young vet FA on a top end deal.

You develop and learn on the line by getting reps. Some may not be ready, but you dont bring in guys with injury concerns over 30 and expect to gain much from the situation.

Ok, what type of FA is going to sign 2 year deals? The wrong side of 30 and injury concerns. Still haven't learned a thing.

I want the oline fixed, but you do it through the draft. Maybe grab 1 young vet FA on a top end deal.

You develop and learn on the line by getting reps. Some may not be ready, but you dont bring in guys with injury concerns over 30 and expect to gain much from the situation.
You missed the key word. Overpay. Yes, it might be someone around 30, but it doesn't mean they are injury prone. You offer them perhaps $3-5 million more per year understanding they are on short term deals and perhaps not on a team that will win immediately. They have $100 million in cap space. They can't spend it all on bargain players ... they either don't spend the excess or they overpay for a few linemen. You use that to keep cap space open for the future. By the time our young developing players are ready to get paid, there will be money for them freeing up from these linemen. It's been done regularly in the NBA. Don't act like you know all of the answers. By your logic they would have played Rosen all year instead of Fitz.

So the idea is to bite the bullet and take the chance on Tua with his injury concerns... and then cheap out on the Oline or rely on rookies who could be busts and get your QBs killed?

Makes sense.

I'd imagine we'll spend the money on Olineman just for the guarantee that you know what you're going to get. Makes no sense to risk your entire future on your ability to project a few young Olineman. I'd sign Conklin and trade one of my 2nd rounders for Trent Williams right now just to check those two positions off my list and wouldn't hesitate doing so whatsoever.

You missed the key word. Overpay. Yes, it might be someone around 30, but it doesn't mean they are injury prone. You offer them perhaps $3-5 million more per year understanding they are on short term deals and perhaps not on a team that will win immediately. They have $100 million in cap space. They can't spend it all on bargain players ... they either don't spend the excess or they overpay for a few linemen. You use that to keep cap space open for the future. By the time our young developing players are ready to get paid, there will be money for them freeing up from these linemen. It's been done regularly in the NBA. Don't act like you know all of the answers. By your logic they would have played Rosen all year instead of Fitz.

This isnt the NBA, and using that logic furthers my argument. And I'm not acting like anything, I'm giving sound reason based on history and current dynamics.

2 year contracts in the NFL for vets lead to over 30 players and usually have a history of injury.

To test your theory. Name 2 potential FAs Miami should target.

As for Rosen, he should have played so any questions that existed....were answered. But I also understood why he was pulled. Fitzpatrick allowed for a honest evaluation of everyone else around him. I do think Rosen would have delivered a top 3 pick.

The Titans did not pick up Conklin's 5th year option which is a bit telling. He is the highest-drafted player of the 2016 draft class to not receive the fifth-year option. An 8th OA pick they could have under contract for 12.5M.

Everything I hear about him is he is not good in pass protection. I read that he was helped by the TE or RB in pass pro more than any tackle in the NFL.

So the idea is to bite the bullet and take the chance on Tua with his injury concerns... and then cheap out on the Oline or rely on rookies who could be busts and get your QBs killed?

Makes sense.

I'd imagine we'll spend the money on Olineman just for the guarantee that you know what you're going to get. Makes no sense to risk your entire future on your ability to project a few young Olineman. I'd sign Conklin and trade one of my 2nd rounders for Trent Williams right now just to check those two positions off my list and wouldn't hesitate doing so whatsoever.

If Tua is taken, sit him for a year. Allow Fitzpatrick another year while you develop your line. Allow Tua time to rehab and build up his body for the NFL.

I had no problems in the drafting of Tunsil, Pouncey and James. I further would have loved if Jerrah in Dallas had went Manziel instead of Martin and Davie had went Whitehair instead of Howard. Both would have set this franchise up for a long time.

The Titans did not pick up Conklin's 5th year option which is a bit telling. He is the highest-drafted player of the 2016 draft class to not receive the fifth-year option. An 8th OA pick they could have under contract for 12.5M.

Everything I hear about him is he is not good in pass protection. I read that he was helped by the TE or RB in pass pro more than any tackle in the NFL.

If you go back and watch the KC game, you will see it.

The man is a bruising run blocking RT. I love it. But he becomes quite mortal once they fall behind the sticks. In that regard he is more guard than tackle.

I have been a fan of that oline for years. The numbers DeMarco Murray put up in Tennessee was because of a healthy Lewan and Conklin.

I have a feeling there will be several more OL'men making their names know before the draft. I have been seeing many IOL that are not really being talked about my the mainstream media. 1st and 2nd round round should be some really good OL.

If Tua is taken, sit him for a year. Allow Fitzpatrick another year while you develop your line. Allow Tua time to rehab and build up his body for the NFL.

I had no problems in the drafting of Tunsil, Pouncey and James. I further would have loved if Jerrah in Dallas had went Manziel instead of Martin and Davie had went Whitehair instead of Howard. Both would have set this franchise up for a long time.
Oh, I fully intend for him to sit for a year no matter what, even if he's killing it in camp. I just want to make sure that the lineman I get are almost guaranteed to be good so I lean towards free agency with that part.

Oh, I fully intend for him to sit for a year no matter what, even if he's killing it in camp. I just want to make sure that the lineman I get are almost guaranteed to be good so I lean towards free agency with that part.

I have zero issues getting 1 top tier lineman in FA. But I remain steadfast in my belief that long term success is built through the draft. Since 09, with Smiley and Grove, FA lineman have jaded me.

The only one I had grown to love was Incognito. Loved watching him in Oakland this year.

I have zero issues getting 1 top tier lineman in FA. But I remain steadfast in my belief that long term success is built through the draft. Since 09, with Smiley and Grove, FA lineman have jaded me.

The only one I had grown to love was Incognito. Loved watching him in Oakland this year.
I agree that long term success is built through the draft, but long term success right now means keeping Tua upright so if we spent on that portion, we'd still just be able to use that opportunity cost pick on a different position instead. I also want to draft Olineman as well. Basically I want a top 5 Oline, I guess.

Back
Top Bottom