The Dolphins have #5, #18 and #26 in the first round | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Dolphins have #5, #18 and #26 in the first round

I agree that long term success is built through the draft, but long term success right now means keeping Tua upright so if we spent on that portion, we'd still just be able to use that opportunity cost pick on a different position instead. I also want to draft Olineman as well. Basically I want a top 5 Oline, I guess.

I just look at 09 to 18 and the FAs Davie has brought in on the oline. Over 30, former PBs or All Pros...all seemed to struggle to play a full season.

I may be wrong but I think the last big signing we made on the OL was Branden Albert and that was in 2014 under Dennis Hickey. The problem Hickey and Ireland made too many times was signing free agents and expecting them to be something they have never been or haven't been for a long time. healthy, young, play a new position, etc.

Albert was 30 when we signed him.

There are teams who make successful FA OL acquisitions. Mitchell Schwartz to KC at age 27. Rodney Hudson to the Raiders at age 26. Brandon Brooks to Philly at age 27.

You just have to sign players who have been relatively healthy, have proven success and those that are coming off the rookie contracts or are still at least two years away from 30....and also players that fit the scheme. Not projected to fit but have proven they fit.

I just look at 09 to 18 and the FAs Davie has brought in on the oline. Over 30, former PBs or All Pros...all seemed to struggle to play a full season.
Conklin's only 25 right now and he should be available after Tennessee blows all their tags on Tannehill/Henry.

If Tua is taken, sit him for a year. Allow Fitzpatrick another year while you develop your line. Allow Tua time to rehab and build up his body for the NFL.

I had no problems in the drafting of Tunsil, Pouncey and James. I further would have loved if trick to be the QB next year. in Dallas had went Manziel instead of Martin and Davie had went Whitehair instead of Howard. Both would have set this franchise up for a long time.
If they draft Tua with the idea of letting him sit and fully heal for the year then I would not want Kilpatrick to come back and be the starter. I would much rather Rosen be the starter so they can see what they have in him. If he vastly improves and they decide to go with Tua in 2021, they will at least be able to trade Rosen.

If Rosen just doesn’t have what it takes to play in the NFl, they can cut him loose after the season and find a backup quarterback in the draft or in free agency for the 2021 season. I see absolutely no reason for Fitzpatrick to be the starter in 2020 because the Dolphins are at least 2 years from being a good team and they will win no more than 5 or 6 games next year whether Fitzpatrick is the QB or not.

If they draft Tua with the idea of letting him sit and fully heal for the year then I would not want Kilpatrick to come back and be the starter. I would much rather Rosen be the starter so they can see what they have in him. If he vastly improves and they decide to go with Tua in 2021, they will at least be able to trade Rosen.

If Rosen just doesn’t have what it takes to play in the NFl, they can cut him loose after the season and find a backup quarterback in the draft or in free agency for the 2021 season. I see absolutely no reason for Fitzpatrick to be the starter in 2020 because the Dolphins are at least 2 years from being a good team and they will win no more than 5 or 6 games next year whether Fitzpatrick is the QB or not.

I agree with your premise. And it's why I too believed Rosen should have been given the reigns for a majority of the year.

With that said, I do not blame the CS for keeping Fitzpatrick as starter. He allowed for a honest assessment of players and growth of those players in such a crappy dynamic.

I'm beginning to think they regret Rosen and are not quite sure what to do with him cut, keep as 2nd or 3rd, trade (might need a case of IPA)...hope i'm wrong
Wonder if we trade
I'm beginning to think they regret Rosen and are not quite sure what to do with him cut, keep as 2nd or 3rd, trade (might need a case of IPA)...hope i'm wrong
I wonder if Rosen gets traded on draft day for a couple 7th round picks or sum

Fitzpatrick can play behind a terrible line. Rosen cannot. Fitz knows multiple systems and has been around long enough that when things break down he can improvise. Rosen cannot at this point. When that line isn't working, it basically becomes back yard football.

Rosen has played 20 games in the NFL. All of them behind atrocious lines. He has never had a game better than a 88.9 QB rating and that was last year vs the Chargers. He has only 3 games in which he reached an 80 QB rating. Out of those 20 games, he has a 60% completion rate in just 5 games. His career comp % is 54.8% with a career rating of 52.

By way of comparison, as a rookie Tannehill had QB ratings of 112, 123, 93.7, 90.9, 92.3, 91 & 97.1. (7) games above 90.

Take the numbers however way you want but what it tells me is Rosen was over-drafted and not ready to play in the NFL. That does not mean he cannot be a good QB someday but he definitely needs some major coaching to get there. For all we know Aaron Rodgers would have started the same way but he got to sit for 3 years and learn. You just never know.

Conklin's only 25 right now and he should be available after Tennessee blows all their tags on Tannehill/Henry.
I'm hearing a lot of rumors tenny tags thill. You think they do? That's a steep price. But to me it kinda makes sense. If he can't duplicate this year then your not locked into him. If he does give him his 4 year deal.

For the #5 I hope we don't trade up. We should play the board. Top 3 players who we could sign are:
1. Tua Tagovailoa
2. Derrick Brown
3. Isaiah Simmons

If we end up with any of these 3 i'll be happy with our #5 pick

For the #5 I hope we don't trade up. We should play the board. Top 3 players who we could sign are:
1. Tua Tagovailoa
2. Derrick Brown
3. Isaiah Simmons

If we end up with any of these 3 i'll be happy with our #5 pick
Agree 1,000% with this except I prefer the defensive players to Tua. I'm not giving up on 22 year-old QB with a cannon. Watch Rosen UCLA highlights. He's not a joke, even if not ready yet.

Agree 1,000% with this except I prefer the defensive players to Tua. I'm not giving up on 22 year-old QB with a cannon. Watch Rosen UCLA highlights. He's not a joke, even if not ready yet.
You're right for sure. If we traded up I hope it would be to get Chase Young and not Joe Burrow

If we dont draft a QB with our first pick I'm gonna take a break from the NFL for a while.

Back
Top Bottom