The Dolphins Playing Through Adversity | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Dolphins Playing Through Adversity

CA Dolfan

Dolphin fan since '72
Club Member
Reaction score
Will someone help me out here. I was watching ESPN yesterday and they were commenting on the Patriots having a great season despite the fact they have a league leading 42 new players and I think 9 starters lost to injury. Here we are talking about the Phins O-line problems, QB debates, etc. and we are playing mediocre football. Granted they didn't lose there QB but it seems that some teams can overcome adversity and adapt. Are the Phins problems a result of that or is is it that were now coming to heads with a poor draft, the coaching, etc...?

I dont think it was a result of Jay going down. BG may have only gone 2-2 but the 2 losses were against the two best teams in the AFC thus far and have a great pass rush. The reason the team struggled in games has to be coaching. We have the horses and to loose to Houston is inexusable. The loss to the pats could be on Mare's head but it really showed how badly wanny got out coached. The way we lost to indy and tenn spells out the same coaching problem. How they can let the opponents crush BG two weeks in a row with seemingly no adjustment is just silly. I worries me in the Dallas game. If you watched the Pats play dallas it agian shows how good Billichek (sp) is. He kept people in to protect agianst the blitz and the two man rout eventually got open. Lets hope Wanny can at least know enough to watch the film and COPY A GOOD COACH.

Thanks, I wasn't suggesting that it was a result of the qb. Don't want to debate that to the n'th degree. I was just shocked that to have 42 new players and to have the success their having. I must be the coach's ability to motivate them.

Look around the league and count the ones who are that good. You won't need two hands.

Every year there are different teams and different coaches that have exceptional seasons. Each season brings another "great motivator' to the fore front. And more often than not, the following season sees them shrink back into the woodwork. Remember, when Dan Reeves was the man?....Mike Holmgren?.....George Siefert?........Brian Billick?

The point is, The ellusive edge that these guys found for one season, can be found by almost anyone. If all of a sudden we went on a big win streak and won it all....even Wannstedt would become a "great motivator".....

I don't think any of these coaches were actually any better than most of their peers. They just happen to be in the right place at the right time. The combination of injuries and talent and coaching came together. In that case, motivation is easy....'Let's win another one boys!".

I sure would like to have one of those great coaches but, the only way to find one is to find some hidden gem in the coaching ranks because going with a retread is about the same odds we have now and we aren't going to find any GREAT coaches who are out of work.

Originally posted by dreadlockera
...and to loose to Houston is inexusable..

That one still pisses me off. The players said they weren't ready to play. HOW MANY FRIGGIN' INFERIOR OPPONENTS HAVE TO CATCH YOU SLEEPING BEFORE YOU REALIZE THAT THIS IS THE NFL AND YOU CAN'T TAKE ANYONE LIGHTLY? :fire: They've been doing the same thing for years!

"Hang in, they'll fold!" Remember that quote? For some reason, we're not a mentally tought team when it counts the most.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMHO...

Originally posted by CA Dolfan
Will someone help me out here. I was watching ESPN yesterday and they were commenting on the Patriots having a great season despite the fact they have a league leading 42 new players and I think 9 starters lost to injury. Here we are talking about the Phins O-line problems, QB debates, etc. and we are playing mediocre football. Granted they didn't lose there QB but it seems that some teams can overcome adversity and adapt. Are the Phins problems a result of that or is is it that were now coming to heads with a poor draft, the coaching, etc...?

I think it's all of those things. For one no one anticipated Dixon being out the entire season, but hindsight is 20/20 and Miami should've spent the money on Gandy. I think what's more devastating is the overall bad paly of the entire o-line. Considering Wade Smith is a rookie with one year's college experience playing LT, he's doing damn good. Everyone except Clumpy expected Nails to return to his dominant form last season. So I guess Clumpy you were right. I think Ruddy, McKinney, when filling in, Perry and Wade has been very bad which is a big suprise.

Coaching has been a big disapointment as well. But I sincerley believe that Mike Shula's departure had a more adverse affect on our pasing offense and the overall qb development than the staff is realing letting on. JF played great at the begining of last season and played well enough after his return from injury to put us in a position to win, but this year he just looks off. No one expected our Wr's would be that big of a bust especially DT. That's really hurt the offense, and finally Ricky just doesn't look like the ricky last year. he's indecisive, dancing in the back field and going down with the first tackle. Maybe he needs to put back on some weight?

All in all, we should've beat Houston, however remember our defense was still getting use the new zone packages. Those same zone packages have made our defense less predictable and more potent even with the lack of overall pash rush. I don't care what anyone says, NE is a great team, well coached, and even if they were 0-12, as with buffalo or the jets, they would still play us tough. Our division games are always tough, therefore I put that loss squarely on the back of Mare. You get paid 2 mil/year, the teams drives down into your range in overtime. You make the kick...simple. the indy game, was a combination of poor tackling, poor blocking and bg coughing up the ball. tennesse, just outplayed us.

so i think there is a fair amount of blame to go around. and ne has a much better o-line, which is the starting point for any offense.

Re: IMHO...

Originally posted by rhadaddy

I think it's all of those things. For one no one anticipated Dixon being out the entire season, but hindsight is 20/20 and Miami should've spent the money on Gandy. I think what's more devastating is the overall bad paly of the entire o-line. Considering Wade Smith is a rookie with one year's college experience playing LT, he's doing damn good. Everyone except Clumpy expected Nails to return to his dominant form last season. So I guess Clumpy you were right. I think Ruddy, McKinney, when filling in, Perry and Wade has been very bad which is a big suprise.

Coaching has been a big disapointment as well. But I sincerley believe that Mike Shula's departure had a more adverse affect on our pasing offense and the overall qb development than the staff is realing letting on. JF played great at the begining of last season and played well enough after his return from injury to put us in a position to win, but this year he just looks off. No one expected our Wr's would be that big of a bust especially DT. That's really hurt the offense, and finally Ricky just doesn't look like the ricky last year. he's indecisive, dancing in the back field and going down with the first tackle. Maybe he needs to put back on some weight?

All in all, we should've beat Houston, however remember our defense was still getting use the new zone packages. Those same zone packages have made our defense less predictable and more potent even with the lack of overall pash rush. I don't care what anyone says, NE is a great team, well coached, and even if they were 0-12, as with buffalo or the jets, they would still play us tough. Our division games are always tough, therefore I put that loss squarely on the back of Mare. You get paid 2 mil/year, the teams drives down into your range in overtime. You make the kick...simple. the indy game, was a combination of poor tackling, poor blocking and bg coughing up the ball. tennesse, just outplayed us.

so i think there is a fair amount of blame to go around. and ne has a much better o-line, which is the starting point for any offense.

Good points...interestingly enough this piece on motivation and the '72 dolphins was just posted on thier website..I like the part about "Supreme Inner Confidence" I think it's something the team has lost..They talked about the humiliation of Super Bowl VI being a launching pad for the undefeated season...I thought our launching pad would have been after that ugly loss to the Raiders in the playoffs..

http://www.miamidolphins.com/home/home_index.asp

We all know the Patriots have excellent in-game coaching and game planning....but

It's the other stuff that we don't see that makes a huge difference. We've been very good with contract decisions, drafting, player development, etc.

We have character guys that aren't a distraction. We have rookies and backups that have filled in wonderfully. We have a gem in Scott Pioli that works well with Belichick on making those player decisions.

Plus, our owner Bob Kraft is among the best.

I think Belichick, Parcells, and Vermeil are in a class by themselves for implementing systems that work. Shanahan is right there too.

As a Pats fan I'd hate to see a guy like Joe Gibbs come back to coach the Fins. I don't think it''ll ever happen, but you could hand the reins to a guy like that.

Originally posted by DENVERDOLFAN
Jimmy Johnson was supposed to be the master motivator. Remember him?

Great point. That's what I say all the time. When a coach is docile, people say we need a guy w/ fire, etc. Jimmy had so much fire he turned pink and red :lol: "Great motivators" are overrated. These are grown men who are millionaire professionals hired to do a job. This isn't rah rah high school and college ball. What they really need besides OL help and a legit #2 WR is a field trip to the Wizard of Oz to get some heart.

I think it's a matter of depth/ drafting. Our drafting has been awful and therefore we don't have the depth to cover in times of injury.

Absolutely

Originally posted by hdaddy
I think it's a matter of depth/ drafting. Our drafting has been awful and therefore we don't have the depth to cover in times of injury.

Our drafting is less to be desired. To think your non-first round rookie LT is gonna come in and dominate, is rediculous, but they didn't expect him to play this year. I do think Wade will be very dominant in the near future, but Wanny and co, don't have the future. The Eddie Moore pick was from left field and considering we needed wr's, more, I still don't see the logic in that pick. But hey maybe he'll be our next great starting Storng or Weak Linebacker, but it did little to address this year's more pressing needs. you would think with the plethora of Ol we drafted, at least one of them besides Smith, would crack the starting lineup with the way the overall ol has been playing. But hey I can't call it. Hopefully Tolver can step up and he's a better in game reciever than practice receiver. Either way, our darft this year wasn't great but it isn't a bust yet. Last year we only had like 4 picks or so, and we got MchMicheal (steal), Mckinney (the jury is still out) but a potential starter, Henry (the jury is still out) but already trade bait, Sam Simmons (jury is still out, but servicable returner, possibly good slot guy), Omare Lowe (No longer with the team). So last year's draft so far was excellent, especailly if Simmons and Mckinney step up their play, 3 out of 5 isn't bad. It's just when you think of the Anquan Boldins and the Tyrone Calico's compared to Eddie Moore......IT"S FUSTRATING

Back
Top Bottom