The Dolphins’ surprising release of Kyle Van Noy isn’t so surprising — it’s ice-cold smart | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Dolphins’ surprising release of Kyle Van Noy isn’t so surprising — it’s ice-cold smart

No doubt. For me, personally, I struggle with the fact that I am just a number at work. They don't really care. It's plug-and-play. I try to accept it, go in, do my job, and go home, but for some reason, I can't. I want more from my job, but the reality is it's just a business, and everything will run fine and continue whether I am there or not.
I hear you. I've been in situations where I've been treated like a valuable member of a team, and others where you are just a number and reminded that you are easily replaced.

Sometimes it's more than just the money.

I'm sure players feel the same way. I certainly would want to be on a team with a good culture that had a chance to win big.

Football being such a team game I'm not sure that individual accomplishments would matter that much.

I'm curious... what is there to fix?

A player has two options, he can (like Van Noy) opt for a lot of money up-front, with no job security... or to take more guaranteed years (like Lawson and Flowers) and a bit less money.

Isn't this a good thing? Each player looks for the sort of contract that works best for them?
I'm saying that all these other leagues have gone through hard negotiations with players opting to sit portions of the season to ensure they get the guaranteed contract no matter of years and amount.

The reason the deal is bad for van noy is because he is out of a job and doesn't see the money he signed for. It's a big issue for the players side either way.

It only seems like the best option because the NFLPA is the worst of all player organizations among major sports. Until the union figures out what to do about the issue the players are forced to make tough choices most sports don't have to.

I'm saying that all these other leagues have gone through hard negotiations with players opting to sit portions of the season to ensure they get the guaranteed contract no matter of years and amount.

The reason the deal is bad for van noy is because he is out of a job and doesn't see the money he signed for. It's a big issue for the players side either way.

It only seems like the best option because the NFLPA is the worst of all player organizations among major sports. Until the union figures out what to do about the issue the players are forced to make tough choices most sports don't have to.
The guaranteed contract does nothing for the health of the game.

The NFL players association has opted for getting a percentage of the overall take... which is then split up between the players who are playing. It's a very good deal, and it does the more for keeping the league balanced and competitive compared to the other sports.

Leagues without a salary cap are not even worth watching. I gave up on beisbol in the 80s; 75% of the teams have zero chance under their system.

Back
Top Bottom