The Draft Network - Fins Mock | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Draft Network - Fins Mock

Overpaying mediocre players isn't getting you to a Super Bowl either, so I really don't know what your point is.

The point is you don’t let serviceable players go and use high draft picks to replace them until you’re already a perennial playoff team. Now we have to replace our RT while still having holes all over the roster. How do you fill out the DL and 4/5 of the OL now? Nevermind that we have no QB and need another corner, need upgrades at LB, and need an infusion of talent at WR and RB.

It’s idiocy.

The point is you don’t let serviceable players go and use high draft picks to replace them until you’re already a perennial playoff team. Now we have to replace our RT while still having holes all over the roster. How do you fill out the DL and 4/5 of the OL now? Nevermind that we have no QB and need another corner, need upgrades at LB, and need an infusion of talent at WR and RB.

It’s idiocy.

Idiocy is paying a just solid player insane amount of money. I am not sure you understand how salary cap works and the ramifications that can have on you long term.....I agree you dont take a replacement RT in round 1. We aren't close to the super bowl here. This isn't a case of, we needed to keep our RT and add one piece and we are ready.

The QBWINZ crowd should follow professional darts, then they wouldn't have those other pesky 21 players to block their view

It’s idiocy.
I think your understanding of the draft is a little off. The goal there isn't to draft super studs, it's to find starters. James was a starter, then left for a stupid contract that Denver will soon regret, and now we need to replace him. What does it matter HOW we replace him? Are we not allowed to use another 1st rounder years later just because we lost him? Obviously according to you that first rounder on a RT was worth it because you wanted to extend that player, right? So draft another one and then spend that money you didn't waste on someone better than James. There's an opportunity cost savings there.

Draft picks are just capital, just like free agency dollars. You're going to lose players to ridiculous contract offers sometimes like James, Vernon, or Landry. It happens and it sucks when it does, but it is what it is. Your philosophy bloats our cap without any real talent to show for it.

Make smart decisions, not desperate ones.

I think your understanding of the draft is a little off. The goal there isn't to draft super studs, it's to find starters. James was a starter, then left for a stupid contract that Denver will soon regret, and now we need to replace him. What does it matter HOW we replace him? Are we not allowed to use another 1st rounder years later just because we lost him? Obviously according to you that first rounder on a RT was worth it because you wanted to extend that player, right? So draft another one and then spend that money you didn't waste on someone better than James. There's an opportunity cost savings there.

Draft picks are just capital, just like free agency dollars. You're going to lose players to ridiculous contract offers sometimes like James, Vernon, or Landry. It happens and it sucks when it does, but it is what it is. Your philosophy bloats our cap without any real talent to show for it.

Nailed it. Getting a HOFr is a bonus, not the goal

Is this a thing? When someone disagrees with you, you just claim they don’t understand the topic? What a load of nonsense.

The cap rises every year. As long as we aren’t constantly restructuring contracts and accelerating the cap, there won’t be any salary cap issues. You guys worry too much about the cap when it is easily managed with a responsible front office. When Dawn Aponte was running the cap, this team always had the cap in control while still giving big contracts to these players. The problems started when T-Baum showed up and started restructuring everything.

If Finheaven had its way, the only players who’d ever get new contracts would be the ones who took huge discounts. That isn’t realistic. The market value for a player is set by what his peers are paid, not what a message board thinks his value is.

Well we are where we are. Either pay James as the top rated RT in the league or replace him. Dumpster diving for oline shouldn't be the prescription going forward. Spinning your wheels in the mud would be bringing in 32 yr old tackles to play guard and calling it a day.

I dont care if it oline or DLINE, both need rebuilt and both will matter for the foreseeable future.
Bingo!

Is this a thing? When someone disagrees with you, you just claim they don’t understand the topic? What a load of nonsense.

The cap rises every year. As long as we aren’t constantly restructuring contracts and accelerating the cap, there won’t be any salary cap issues. You guys worry too much about the cap when it is easily managed with a responsible front office. When Dawn Aponte was running the cap, this team always had the cap in control while still giving big contracts to these players. The problems started when T-Baum showed up and started restructuring everything.

If Finheaven had its way, the only players who’d ever get new contracts would be the ones who took huge discounts. That isn’t realistic. The market value for a player is set by what his peers are paid, not what a message board thinks his value is.
Not asking for discounts. Asking for a fair contract for a mediocre player. Just because somebody else overpaid doesn't mean we should have just to save a pick.

What is the difference between signing James to a terrible contract and then using our 1st round pick on another position and using our first round pick on a RT and using that saved cap space on another position? The difference is that the latter gives us an opportunity to get better value for those dollars than using them on Ju'Wuan James.

They could've paid James. There was money. But there are other tackles in FA, Tj Clemmings for example. Donald Penn is still a free agent. They can fill that position with half the money and contract duration that James received. It's not a big deal. The big deal is that they are not doing it. They are fkn around.

Did anyone read the article talking about how the edge position has been devalued thanks to the quick passing game? I sort of agree with it to an extent. We have had pass rushers in the past but how much did it really affect the win total? It never helps against Brady.

I can see a point for building that OL but it would still come down to draft grades for me. I am not taking an above average OT when there may be an elite DT or DE in that spot. Most of the top teams in the playoffs every year are top offenses.

I also read an article a few years ago that talked about how hard it is to maintain an elite defense for any period of time. Not too many teams have been able to do it for more than a year or two.

I'm all for building a great offense but not sure I would take a Ja'Wuan James level player at 13 just because....

I would trade down and do it though. Lots of value from 15 to 50!

Did anyone read the article talking about how the edge position has been devalued thanks to the quick passing game? I sort of agree with it to an extent. We have had pass rushers in the past but how much did it really affect the win total? It never helps against Brady.
We had the best record against Brady for awhile because of Jason Taylor and our pass rush. The Giants beat Brady twice in a Super Bowl precisely because of their pass rush.

You can't run an offense doing 3 step drops. No matter how fast and short you want your offense to be, it's not a magic bullet. You give up stuff to do that. It's going to get you and rattle you eventually.

People are stupid.

Patriots and Eagles invest heavily in their OL.

Fans want flash.

I want a trade down but if I can get another Tunsil like prospect, my arm doesn’t need to be twisted.

What rounds are the patriots OL drafted? seeems like they get away with a low investment into that position group.

What rounds are the patriots OL drafted? seeems like they get away with a low investment into that position group.

Belichek value's the group enough that he picks them all over the place when talent is available. As evidenced by the fact that he took Isiah Wynn with his first pick in 2018. Thankfully he's not nearly the drafter that he is the defensive master mind. They've had a lot of extra draft picks in the last 10 years and have failed on a large % or we'd have been royally screwed.

New England never stops taking OL and DB's, because you need to play 5-6 of them a game.

This is part of what makes football so awesome, you can build a team so many different ways and be successful at each of those styles. How you build a team with the 5th overall pick would be completely different then how you would build a team with the 13th pick so it's important to be adaptive during the draft process.

Keep an open mind and score value. Don't over think it. That would be my simple advice to this new front office dynamic.

You can't build a team and not build an OL. Those guys are literally building blocks in themselves.

All that said, I'd rather take a DE, DT or CB2 at 13 than an OL (non LT). I do believe in the strength in numbers philosophy so I am always looking to trade down.

Back
Top Bottom