The Draft, or so they call it..... | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Draft, or so they call it.....

rickeyrunsover said:
Aikman, Brady were all on teams that stunk teh year before. Bledsoe had not played well, the team hadnt won and he was replaced because he was hurt. Dallas stunk until JJ came to them. Diff circumstances, We were a 10-6 team with Jay, veterans will stick behind a qb that they have played with for 4 years and had won with. Jay was tough, and he was a great teammate, Feeley came in and showed some ****iness in TC and turned some guys off, as the incumbent was a winning qb and their friend. It would have been diff for Aj had we come off 3 losing seasons like 04. He won tjose teammates over, he didnt just develop those skills over teh season, he had them from teh get go. Leadership takes many forms as well, there are those that lead by mouth, lead by example, lead thru living it, getting in their and proving themselves. I am sorry if you dont buy it, but he did win overthe players, did call receivers out to them, but never in teh media. he never once criticized teh o-line or receivers and backs to teh media, he praised them, said they were working really hard and getting better each week. This was after getting beaten and battered because of missed line calls and blitz pickups. That to me shows leadership, he stands up for the team, and they recognized it and acknowledged it. You would see him on teh field yelling and gesturing to receivers.

I understand teh concerns with AJ, they are real. But to me everyone wants a guy like Smith simply because it is a new "name" that isnt AJ. Like I said before, I believe we need to draft a qb, I really, really like McPherson, and even more after Boomers thread of his ind workout. The troubles he had also could be a silver lining in that he had to wake up and mature. Now he is coming in focused and hungry. He has all teh tools that Rogers and Smith do, cept maybe some of teh intangibles, but from what I have read, he is a leader and could be a very good qb and a steal in the third or fourth. I also like Walter and Campbell. Also Fitzgerald could be a sleeper. I just dont want to draft a qb simply because he is teh new face in the fans eyes. Smith to me is as much as a project as some others with the diff being he is a slightly less risk of bust. Yes I know I could be wrong, but then I have a 50% chance of being right. Rogers is teh better of teh qbs and if he slips to us then I am all over him, but he is close to a cant miss as it gets this year.

I dont knoiw how to show my basis any better than that. AJ had difficulties, no denying it, but the circumstances have to be factored in. When comparing intangibles with other qbs, teh comaprisons and teh factors have to be the same.

This is a good post. BUT, we're not comparing stats for "first year as starter." We're comparing leadership. You're right, Feeley did not call out players - o-linemen specifically. But the reason he didn't was more because he hadn't EARNED the right than because he was being a nice team-oriented guy.
As far as drafting a QB...I'm not on the Smith or Rodgers bandwagon at all. McPherson would be a good one to take a look at.

SCall13 said:
This is a good post. BUT, we're not comparing stats for "first year as starter." We're comparing leadership. You're right, Feeley did not call out players - o-linemen specifically. But the reason he didn't was more because he hadn't EARNED the right than because he was being a nice team-oriented guy.
As far as drafting a QB...I'm not on the Smith or Rodgers bandwagon at all. McPherson would be a good one to take a look at.

I wasnt talking stats either, I dont use stats, as you can tell haha. I was talking about Brady and Aikman being leaders from day 1. Aikman was teh #1 overall, so that commands respect in it of itself, he comes with a built in rep. The Cowboys stunk so there wasnt a controversy. Brady came in because of injury and played well and earned teh respect. Feeley came in on a team that hadnt posted a losing record in 15+ years, to take teh job of a guy many vets of teh winning team liked. Totally diff scenarios which made it more difficult for AJ to win over teammatess. There is a diff mentality when you are trying to replace a qb that had won. Say what you want but we never finshed 500 or worse under Jay, the vets didnt want to step back and go thru growing pains with an inexperienced qb, they still had thoughts of competing early. The fact that Aj won over those teammates shows leadership.

Back
Top Bottom