The Essence Of Kris Richard | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Essence Of Kris Richard

I have a feeling that he is coming to Miami. No way they are going to pay him as much as us. Plus, this is a HC opportunity. LoB 2.0 in South Beach!

Yea I'm starting to feel this way too, and I love it!

I truly believe that if Richard (pronounced Ruh-shard folks, get it right) has the potential to be a great coach in this league for a long time. Would love for it to be here. I really like that he has been around a lot of good coaches:

Played for Holmgren, Saban, Rob Ryan (was his DC in Oakland - great coordinator for a long time)

Coached under Pete Carroll for a very long time (started at USC with him).

The two best coaches of the modern era are Reid and Bellicheat, none of them has intensity, exitement or enthusiasm. They are genius minds. I want a genius. Thats why I wanted Todd Monken, he may not be a genius but having a top 3 offense with the talent and injuries he had looks promising. When you put a motivator as a HC you must pair him with the Monkens, Munchaks and Fangios of the world, or else other coaches will win with brains the heart that the coach inspired. Then the brain will get a coaching job and the magic dissapears, unless the brain Is actually your HC like Kansas or Cheatriots, teams that can loose any coordinator and still be elite because the brain is in charge. Maybe Richard Is the brain also, I hope so, but to be honest that Seattle secondary was talent scary and the Dallas Cowboys have some outstanding young players on defense. A coach like Reid of Bellicheat elevates the talent with his knowledge and inteligence.
Very true.

An example of a motivator coach is Barry Switzer, who was a great college coach because he could recruit and he could motivate. But when he inherited a juggernaut built and honed by Jimmy Johnson, his motivation lasted a year or so, but without the mind to hone their skill or build something new himself or teach/enforce the technique and discipline, it all fell apart in relatively quick fashion.

Motivation is a piece of what you need, yes, but IMHO, motivation is not a hard piece to find. Much harder are people who can reach their players mentally and emotionally to teach them the right things and get them to adopt the sound fundamentals. THEN you get the motivator to have them produce those things on Sunday.

The current Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) has reduced the number of padded practices down to a mere 18 per season or some such--nowhere near the amount needed to effectively teach players how to actually play football well. It has also reduced the total amount of hours a coach can hold practice per week, meaning honing those skills is infinitely more difficult to achieve for a coaching staff. Muscle memory is done by pad less walkthroughs, which is at best a pale imitation of a game. Great players are the ones who willingly do the heavy lifting in the film room like the Zach Thomas and Minkah Fitzpatrick types. It's the guys who make the fundamental commitment to treat their bodies as temples like the Cam Wake types. These guys are rare, even among elite athletes in the NFL. The larger group are people with elite physical ability that lack those things, like Cordrea Tankersley. The trick is finding coaches that can help them see the light and convince them to do the grind needed to be great.

Motivation is part of that, but it isn't as important as an effective teacher. And finding the mastermind tactician like a Bill Arnsparger or Bill Belichick, well that's even harder to find. Finding a true leader who can manage all of those moving parts, morph his systems to fit the personnel's gifts, and constantly adapt his team to the changing coaching staff and players is the rarest of all. That's why there's only one Don Shula … the greatest of all time. Because that skillset is rare.

It has nothing to do with Belichick. I have ex teammates from college who have had first hand experience with Flores.

Maybe once you have any first hand experience with any of the candidates then talk to me about laying off the crack.

It has nothing to do with Belichick. I have ex teammates from college who have had first hand experience with Flores.

Maybe once you have any first hand experience with any of the candidates then talk to me about laying off the crack.

Answer the question, what excoach from the Belichick tree has been successful away from his system. It’s a pretty easy question. And I could give a damn about some college experience. If that was so important why did it take Flores what...14 years to get a coordinator position in the NFL lol. Flores is a bum and an underachiever. He would be a worse hire than Gasy.

Answer the question, what excoach from the Belichick tree has been successful away from his system. It’s a pretty easy question. And I could give a damn about some college experience. If that was so important why did it take Flores what...14 years to get a coordinator position in the NFL lol. Flores is a bum and an underachiever. He would be a worse hire than Gasy.

College experience lol. The guys I am talking about were with the Patriots. Yeah, sorry that doesn't merit any "real info". Playing under Flores means nothing.

Damn sometimes I wonder...

Not a fan of a Flores hire, but I think you have to objectively say that Bill O'Brien has been a success. That's one. One former Belichick lieutenant has turned out to be successful away from the hoodie. We're just talking about head coaches, right? Because former Patriots DC Dean Pees has been quite successful away from Belichick, but he's just been a DC.

Let's think:

Crennel - failure
Weis - mega failure
McDaniels - spectacular failure
Mangini - yep that's a failure
Al Groh - mega failure. does he count as a parcells guy? not sure. I put him here anyway because **** Belichick.
Nick Saban - sorry folks, he failed in the NFL. I still think he's a great coach, but he was a failure here.
Patricia - too early to tell, but major alarm bells going off
Bill O'Brien - 42-38 in five seasons and a 1-3 playoff record. That was the second playoff win ever for the Texans.

Even if B'OB isn't what I would call a rousing success, he has a winning record and won a playoff game. I'm marking that down as a modest success.

1 out of 7 with the verdict still out on the hobo Patricia. You can't say that all Belichick lieutenants have been failures outside of the Patriots system. At least one of them has a winning record and a playoff win notched on his belt. I don't really know what the point of this is, but I actually just wanted to sit down and look at the Belichick coaching tree. It's interesting.

I think it's especially weird that the failing of several of these guys has been their egos and attitudes. They have moved into their new jobs and acted like they could do whatever they wanted because they were appointed kings of the castle. And it kind of backfired on them. McDaniels, Mangini, and it looks like Patricia is going down that exact same route.

I want to be optimistic but this team has been burned so many times before with coaches and GMs leaving them at the altar that I wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest to see him stay in Dallas with a huge pay raise and better title and take his chances with the HC market in 2020.
If he does then we wouldn’t want him ya know.

An example of a motivator coach is Barry Switzer, who was a great college coach because he could recruit and he could motivate. But when he inherited a juggernaut built and honed by Jimmy Johnson, his motivation lasted a year or so, but without the mind to hone their skill or build something new himself or teach/enforce the technique and discipline, it all fell apart in relatively quick fashion.

Opinion of Barry Switzer is one of the great litmus tests of all time, IMO. My friends and I used it in Las Vegas constantly to judge newcomers to the sports betting scene. Anyone who ranted against Switzer as a nothing coach who merely inherited Jimmy Johnson's player automatically flunked the test.

Barry Switzer had an incredible accomplishment in the NFL: He won a championship with a team that has been dethroned as champ the year prior. That was almost unheard of in professional football at that point. Normally that dethroned champ is in an awful scenario. There had been more than a 20 year period with nary a playoff victory, let alone a title. Switzer was only the second coach to accomplish it, after a George Halas team in the early '40s. It never happened in the NFL. Then after Halas and Switzer, the only other coach in NFL history to do it has been Belichick twice (2001 then 2003, 2014 then 2016). Belichick has a chance to do it a third time this season.

How long was that Dallas run supposed to last? We have been spoiled by New England and lost perspective. Six straight seasons with at least one playoff victory including four straight trips to at least the NFC Championship Game was an excellent run. Once Dallas won its third Super Bowl of the '90s you had Brett Favre and Steve Young in their prime. I didn't know anybody who thought the Cowboys would be able to maintain

Opinion of Barry Switzer is one of the great litmus tests of all time, IMO. My friends and I used it in Las Vegas constantly to judge newcomers to the sports betting scene. Anyone who ranted against Switzer as a nothing coach who merely inherited Jimmy Johnson's player automatically flunked the test.

Barry Switzer had an incredible accomplishment in the NFL: He won a championship with a team that has been dethroned as champ the year prior. That was almost unheard of in professional football at that point. Normally that dethroned champ is in an awful scenario. There had been more than a 20 year period with nary a playoff victory, let alone a title. Switzer was only the second coach to accomplish it, after a George Halas team in the early '40s. It never happened in the NFL. Then after Halas and Switzer, the only other coach in NFL history to do it has been Belichick twice (2001 then 2003, 2014 then 2016). Belichick has a chance to do it a third time this season.

How long was that Dallas run supposed to last? We have been spoiled by New England and lost perspective. Six straight seasons with at least one playoff victory including four straight trips to at least the NFC Championship Game was an excellent run. Once Dallas won its third Super Bowl of the '90s you had Brett Favre and Steve Young in their prime. I didn't know anybody who thought the Cowboys would be able to maintain

None of that is all that supportive of Switzer being a good coach. In fact, it does point more to him winning because he inherited the roster that Jimmy Johnson built than anything else-because that is exactly what happened. Switzer was a lousy coach from a game planning/strategy standpoint. The '94 Cowboys would have won the SB if it hadn't been for the all-star team the Niners assembled that year. Those Cowboys teams during that run would have won with a pee wee coach at that point.

It's completely plausible that a coach can be a good motivator and still have a gifted football mind. It's not binary, and it doesn't necessarily come jumping at you from an interview.

Game-planning is just that, developing a strategy against your opponent. You don't need to be a genius to do it. You just need to understand football.

Gase was a genius, and he couldn't gameplan his way out of a paper bag.

What the hell did I just watch? I just don't see this guy being "the guy" in Miami. But the fans a pretty dumb so I guess this is what they deserve.

Back
Top Bottom