The ever fluid first round mock. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The ever fluid first round mock.

KB21

Club Member
Reaction score
This thing definitely isn't in a static state:

01. Chargers - Eli Manning QB Mississippi

Lot's of interesting things will happen here. Eli will be the first pick whether San Diego makes the pick or they trade it to New York.

02. Raiders - Robert Gallery OT Iowa

Gallery has pretty much solidified himself as the second player in this draft, and Cleveland is desperately trying to move up to get him.

03. Cardinals - Larry Fitzgerald WR Pittsburgh

This is probably the surest pick in the draft.

04. Giants - Ben Roethlisberger QB Miami of Ohio

Their top two guys are Manning and Gallery. They may grab Roethlisberger if those two aren't available. The Chargers may move down and take Rivers with this pick.

05. Redskins - Sean Taylor FS Miami

This pick will be either Taylor or Winslow.

06. Lions - Stephen Jackson RB Oregon State

This is a reach, but the Lions love him. They will try to trade down and still get him, but they may take him with this pick anyway.

07. Browns - Kellen Winslow Jr. TE Miami

They want Gallery. Their back up options are Sean Taylor and Kellen Winslow. I still think they could trade with a team that wants Philip Rivers and select Shawn Andrews. Oakland would take Roy Williams here.

08. Falcons - Roy Williams WR Texas

The Falcons haven't taken a wide receiver in the first round since they took Mike Pritchard in 1991. If Williams is gone, they could go with DeAngelo Hall.

09. Jaguars - Kenechi Udeze DE Southern California

It's either Udeze or Smith for the Jags at this point, unless Winslow drops to this spot.

10. Texans - DeAngelo Hall CB Virginia Tech.

They would like to deal up for Sean Taylor, but they will be happy with Hall at 10.

11. Steelers - Philip Rivers QB North Carolina State

They may try to move up to get him.

12. Jets - Dunta Robinson CB South Carolina

This is their guy. If by chance he isn't there, Jonathan Vilma is their second choice.

13. Bills - Reggie Williams WR Washington

They could take Will Smith here, but I think they will go with Williams if they can't move up for Rivers.

14. Bears - Tommie Harris DT Oklahoma

Harris and Smith are the Bears targets. Harris fits the style that Lovie Smith wants to play as a defensive tackle.

15. Buccaneers - Lee Evans WR Wisconsin

Speed demon that will give the Buccaneers some youth in the receiving corps.

16. 49ers - Vince Wilfork DT Miami

A strong contingent in the 49ers front office wants to go with Wilfork at this pick.

17. Broncos - Kevin Jones RB Virginia Tech.

They moved up to get Jackson, but may settle for Jones here. Another possibility is Clayton.

18. Saints - Jonathan Vilma LB Miami

Best player on the board that fills a need.

19. Vikings - Will Smith DE Ohio State

The Vikings prayers are answered and Smith is on the board.

20. Dolphins - Michael Clayton WR LSU

Tough choice for Miami who likes both Andrews and Clayton. Clayton is a player that has really been catching some steam with Miami lately though.

21. Patriots - Chris Gamble CB Ohio State

A cornerback to put some pressure on Ty Law to make a decision.

22. Cowboys - Shawn Andrews OT Arkansas

Too good to pass on, and he fills a need for the 'boys.

23. Seahawks - D.J. Williams LB Miami

They need a DT but feel they can get one in the 2nd. Williams gives them some youth at the linebacker position.

24. Bengals - Marcus Tubbs DT Texas

A big DT in the Tony Siragusa/Sam Adams mold that made Marvin Lewis's defense in Baltimore so great.

25. Packers - Darnell Dockett DT Florida State

26. Rams - Jason Babin DE Western Michigan

27. Titans - Antwan Odom DE Alabama

28. Eagles - Karlos Dansby LB Auburn

29. Colts - Sean Jones FS Georgia

30. Chiefs - Tank Johnson DT Washington

This guy is catching some steam with Kansas City for some reason. Someone knows something that I don't, so who am I to argue?

31. Panthers - Matt Ware DB UCLA

32. Patriots - Justin Smiley OG Alabama

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd rather have Woods or Evans before Clayton.

Clayton does get alot of love though from scouts that don't put much weight on combine stats.

I believe that could be the case if Denver decides to go with Kevin Jones at 17, passing on Clayton.

If both Clayton and Andrews are there, I believe Miami goes with Clayton. Andrews would then drop to Dallas.

If you knock Clayton due to what he runs in the forty, then you are doing the same thing people did last year with Anquan Boldin. You are knocking a guy that has everything you can want in a wide receiver except great straight line speed.

I just checked my INSIDER Sporting NEws site and it has the updated WR rankings.

Mike Williams is not in the rankings because of the ruling.

1.Fitzgerald
2. Roy Williams
3. MICHAEL CLAYTON :eek:
4. Reggie Williams
5. Rashaun Woods :up:
6. Lee Evans
7. Devery Henderson
8. Keary Colbert
9. Michael Jenkins
10. Devard Darling

What's with the sudden jump from Michael Clayton? IMO, Rashaun Woods is the 3rd best WR in this draft. Roy #1, Reggie #4 and Clayton #5.

This is very interesting.

Clayton has been flying under the radar for some strange reason. His first 40 time was slow, and everyone slid him down the value boards. Still, I think he is one of the better all-around WRs in the draft (especially after Roy and Fitz). His downfield blocking would be a huge plus for Ricky as he has consistently been called the best blocker of the bunch.

I still say that a WR at 20 is probably not the best move unless Reggie Williams were to fall to us. We could trade down a bit, grab an extra first day pick, and still end up with Clayton, Evans, or Woods. If the Pats stay where they are, I think we might pull a lot of interest from teams with late picks who want to grab a CB before they do at #21 (IF that is their intention).

Still, I can't say that I've met Michael Clayton or that I have seen his workouts. The Miami FO guys have. If we pick him at #20, I would not be upset. Of course, if we get to midway through next season and realize that our offensive line is no better than in previous years, I might be singing a different story.

Many scouts have Woods on the outside looking in, as far as the first round is concerned. I could easily see Woods dropping into the 2nd, but I value him as a first rounder.

Woods would be an absolute STEAL in the second round. I used to live with a guy who was a big OSU fan so I have seen and heard a lot about him.

Getting back to the mock:

I think there is a good chance we will see a LOT of trades on Day 1. Here's just a few off the top of my head:

Giants/Chargers - no surprise there

Browns/Raiders - Browns want Gallery, Raiders want Roy

Redskins/??? - the Skins have very few picks . . . and while Winslow and Taylor are tempting . . . I can see them moving down a bit to add a pick and go after Wilfork or Harris (the Texans or Patriots could both be interested in Taylor here)

Lions/??? - Again, Winslow or Taylor will be tempting, but I can see them moving down for an extra pick and a shot at Jackson (in a spot where he would not be such a stretch)

???/Jaguars - Everyone is saying DE, but the Udeze injury saga raises questions . . . and I have read that they would be interested in moving up to snag Roy

Jets/??? - People keep saying they love Vilma but would like to draft him a bit later

Then, there's the Broncos, Eagles, and Cowboys all fighting over RBs. The Titans and Bengals both have two 2nd rounders. The Vikings and Niners have expressed interest in moving down. The Pats have about 39 picks they could deal. Anyway, I think you get the picture.

Michael Clayton and Jenkins are probably rated higher than Woods because of the colleges they played in.

Will be interesting to see what happens.

I am now officially pumped for the draft. I have the day off. :D

Woods is a better red zone threat than Clayton as well. Both are identical speed wise.

Back
Top Bottom