The Fatal Repeat Mistake | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Fatal Repeat Mistake

the Alonzo extension was a year early...should have played at the first round tender...he's not as bad as he's made out to be here given what he plays with around him at lb but he's also not top 5 money worthy

should have played at the tender...cause now Miami unless it's gonna eat his money for a year or bench him on that large number (which they wont do cause they like the player anyways) can't get weak side top 15 pick value in the draft at lb...and roquan smith probably would provide that...although considering how many teams always need lbs there's no guarantee he'd get to us anyways...run in the 4.5s and test well and play every down and that's how you get drafted in the top 15 at lb
The classic Dolphins mistake. Don't draft a potentially better player because we already have a guy we like at the position. The Dolphins front office motto...let's not get better anywhere until we absolutely have to.

And it would be wise for everyone to remember it when the team tries to feed you some bull crap line about taking BPA in the draft.

you don't think they drafted bpa off their board at position of need according to the needs they identified in the last draft? I sure do

The classic Dolphins mistake. Don't draft a potentially better player because we already have a guy we like at the position. The Dolphins front office motto...let's not get better anywhere until we absolutely have to.

that's true but teams do it all the time unless they are contenders and can "afford to" if you get what I mean...that's how teams at times end up with studs late in round 1...cause other teams are forcing needs at positions that are trash...

get tannehill back and a lot of these problems will minimize for Miami...like they do for a lot of teams with competent qbs...

you don't think they drafted bpa off their board at position of need according to the needs they identified in the last draft? I sure do
They drafted for need...not BPA. And I already know their board would not lineup with what I would have.

They drafted for need...not BPA. And I already know their board would not lineup with what I would have.

that's not the point...what you or I would do is irrelevant...I would have taken taco Charlton with my top pick...I give them credit for one thing that a lot of teams struggle with and even evaluators on this board they know how to id scheme fit and personnel skill set match with their draft picks...every one of those top picks and even the dts fit the scheme like a glove

they didn't draft 34 olbs and make em de's they didn't draft undersized mike to force into a poa fill role they drafted scheme fit corner and gap penetrating dts

that's not the point...what you or I would do is irrelevant...I would have taken taco Charlton with my top pick...I give them credit for one thing that a lot of teams struggle with and even evaluators on this board they know how to id scheme fit and personnel skill set match with their draft picks...every one of those top picks and even the dts fit the scheme like a glove

they didn't draft 34 olbs and make em de's they didn't draft undersized mike to force into a poa fill role they drafted scheme fit corner and gap penetrating dts
Pretty sure Charles Harris was identified as a guy that can play OLB in the 3-4 and some even said he was a better fit for 3-4 OLB. He's a tweener...like Vernon but 15 lbs lighter and a lot less strength. These are Bill Parcells front office guys who for some reason like undersized DEs.

Pretty sure Charles Harris was identified as a guy that can play OLB in the 3-4 and some even said he was a better fit for 3-4 OLB. He's a tweener...like Vernon but 15 lbs lighter and a lot less strength. These are Bill Parcells guys who for some reason like undersized DEs.

harris was best on college tape with a hand in the dirt...not in a 2 point

he needs more lead in the pants no doubt...250 isn't gonna do it but that's what the offseason program is for...

come back 260 next year of rock

harris was best on college tape with a hand in the dirt...not in a 2 point

he needs more lead in the pants no doubt...250 isn't gonna do it but that's what the offseason program is for...

come back 260 next year of rock

Weaknesses: Let’s get right into that combine showing. Drills? Good. Testing? Ehhhh. Per MockDraftables, which tracks combine data dating back to 1999, Harris ranked in the 54th percentile with his 40 time (4.82) but was below the 50% line in everything else among edge defenders. His height/weight/arm length combo (6' 2", 256 pounds, 32 3/8") definitely profiles more like a linebacker than a DE.
https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/03/20/nfl-draft-scouting-reports-charles-harris-missouri

4/26/17: For the NFL, Harris is a speed edge rusher could fit best as a 3-4 outside linebacker. Harris is fast off the edge with a functional ability to fight off blockers. He isn't a great fit for a 4-3 defense, but could add weight to be a right defensive end. Team sources say that he has excellent football character, work ethic, leadership and competitiveness.
https://walterfootball.com/draft2017OLB3-4.php

Bottom Line High-cut pass rusher with good athleticism but concerns regarding his ability to drop anchor against the run. Ironically, Harris might be best suited as a penetrator which is something he fought against this season. His hands can be improved as pass rush weapons, but he has agility and footwork that can't be taught. Harris can play on the edge in a 4-3 or 3-4 front and should be the next in a line of early contributing defensive ends coming out of Missouri.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/charles-harris?id=2558001

Threats: Charles Harris has no threats. He's one of the safer prospects, but I think he'd do better on a 3-4 team at outside linebacker than a 4-3 team at defensive end.
Read more at http://www.draftutopia.com/outsidelinebackerrankings.html#o7YIUeSKAh9IMDs2.99

The problem that still continues to be a problem, is the inability to defend the middle of the field. It’s reared it’s head once again this season. Miami may be in prime position to address this short coming by drafting a LB or FS that can cover the TE or RB at #12. I’m watching Florida State play it’s bowl game and can’t help thinking what Darwin James could do as the FS in a Dolphins uniform. In spite of his subpar season this year, which may be due to his recovery from his injury last year, he’s still the type of player who’d fit the defense and give the team what it lacks. But I’m not sure they value his talent they way I do or many others do. This F/O needs to fix this issue, if 5he defense is going to improve.

yeah I don't agree with those assessments that harris would make a better 34 olb...his hand belongs in the dirt in a 3 or 4 point

I think cause of how he moved in lb drills at the combine people started running with 34 olb...I just didn't see it on tape...

The problem that still continues to be a problem, is the inability to defend the middle of the field. It’s reared it’s head once again this season. Miami may be in prime position to address this short coming by drafting a LB or FS that can cover the TE or RB at #12. I’m watching Florida State play it’s bowl game and can’t help thinking what Darwin James could do as the FS in a Dolphins uniform. In spite of his subpar season this year, which may be due to his recovery from his injury last year, he’s still the type of player who’d fit the defense and give the team what it lacks. But I’m not sure they value his talent they way I do or many others do. This F/O needs to fix this issue, if 5he defense is going to improve.
1- He'll be most likely gone before our pick
2-our FO/Coaching staff seems to like playing two SS than one and one and with the money invested already I don't see them drafting a FS unless they trade Jones

That's our FO for you

Ozzy rules!!

BTW, we probably would have been better off with two FS's then with two SS in there. Will all the cover problems we've had over the middle taking the FS out of the euqation was not a bright move at all. With two FS's in there you'll lose that run support but at least you might be able to cover better. But I'd prefer we had a SS and a FS like every freaking that has won the super bowl ever did.

Ozzy rules!!

It horrifies me that we have these delusional halfwits running the team. Either they actually believe the crap they're selling and don't belong anywhere near the NFL, or they're just feeding Ross these lies to convince him that the problem is solely with Gase for not achieving anything with their "talented" roster so they deserve to keep their jobs longer.

Tannenbaum is a cancer and the longer he is here, the harder it will be to fix the team when he is finally excised from the organization.

BTW, we probably would have been better off with two FS's then with two SS in there. Will all the cover problems we've had over the middle taking the FS out of the euqation was not a bright move at all. With two FS's in there you'll lose that run support but at least you might be able to cover better. But I'd prefer we had a SS and a FS like every freaking that has won the super bowl ever did.

Ozzy rules!!
Your right. But to add to your point, ideally you’d want a true FS/Centerfielder, who can cover, along with at least one possibly two LB’s who can drop into coverage and cover TE’s and RB’s. This would take away the advantage every team who faces Miami has. But teams like NE and KC who feature the TE could still present issues for a defense, just look at the final NE drive against Pittsburgh and what Gronk did on that drive, hard to stop.

Back
Top Bottom