The Fins need a good/great draft...... | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Fins need a good/great draft......

I see in another post that Miami is looking to trade up to #1. Is this fact or another writer's conspiracy theory?

A beast for another team and crap with ours still serves us no real progress.

After a reasonable amount of time I'd expect a qualified coaching staff to evaluate the success rate well enough to make the proper decision and expect in some time our guys will be more efficient. Truthfully due to his cost hit $291.500 and dead money 3+m hit doesn't hurt to keep him. But judging from watching his play on the field see that having little to do with that decision.

But hey Parker did it so I guess it can be done although truthfully even Parker I hate to say it cause the walls are going to come crashing down only has 1/2 to 3/4 of one seasons to base that success on.... Not saying he wont be, but truthfully to be fair we have to see with more playing time. JMO
Besides that, with Parker you saw "flashes". You could see the possibilities, if he were ever able to be healthy for extended periods.

Not the case with Harris. He hasn't been injured. He just isn't good for whatever reason.

LT was a top 5 talent coming out. Not really apples to apples comparison. He also had a pro bowl caliber guy next to him.

I know. It's why I said I get the point he was pushing.

Tunsil despite the echo chamber nonsense of him being over valued, is a young healthy man. His career might end up being more productive than the last LT they took in the draft.

Right, NFL GM's grow on trees. Fire a guy that has been groomed to succeed now that we have the support staff he needs to succeed.(coaches and A-GM's). He's been in charge of 1 draft so far....

In charge? Really?
It's probably pointless debating someone who doesn't even know that Chris Grier has been the guy calling the shots during the NFL draft for the past three years, with input from the coaching staff just like with every NFL franchise, but I'll give it a shot. Let's assume you were right and he was in charge of only the last draft. What about that draft has you so excited that you would jump to Grier's defense? I hated his last draft. He selected a good player who I like (Christian Wilkens) at a low priority position with a top 15 pick. I would have much rather have seen him trade back or take an offensive lineman, or better yet, do both. He should have been prioritizing building the offensive line knowing that at some point soon he would be bringing in a young QB to build around. There was nothing so special about Wilkins that couldn't be passed over for the overall betterment of a rebuilding roster. Then in the second round he pissed away a second round pick, which no other team in the league was willing to pay that price, for a QB that has been a total bust so far. Then in the third round he took a guard that many scouting services and people on here that I trust wholeheartedly didn't even have a draftable grade on. So far Deiter doesn't look like he may be more than just serviceable. He also took another complete stiff un-draftable offensive lineman, Isaiah Prince, later in the draft. Chris Grier went into this season's free agency period with arguably the least talented roster in the whole NFL. So, what has Chris Grier done, in your mind, to deserve the benefit of the doubt?

It's probably pointless debating someone who doesn't even know that Chris Grier has been the guy calling the shots during the NFL draft for the past three years, with input from the coaching staff just like with every NFL franchise, but I'll give it a shot. Let's assume you were right and he was in charge of only the last draft. What about that draft has you so excited that you would jump to Grier's defense? I hated his last draft. He selected a good player who I like (Christian Wilkens) at a low priority position with a top 15 pick. I would have much rather have seen him trade back or take an offensive lineman, or better yet, do both. He should have been prioritizing building the offensive line knowing that at some point soon he would be bringing in a young QB to build around. There was nothing so special about Wilkins that couldn't be passed over for the overall betterment of a rebuilding roster. Then in the second round he pissed away a second round pick, which no other team in the league was willing to pay that price, for a QB that has been a total bust so far. Then in the third round he took a guard that many scouting services and people on here that I trust wholeheartedly didn't even have a draftable grade on. So far Deiter doesn't look like he may be more than just serviceable. He also took another complete stiff un-draftable offensive lineman, Isaiah Prince, later in the draft. Chris Grier went into this season's free agency period with arguably the least talented roster in the whole NFL. So, what has Chris Grier done, in your mind, to deserve the benefit of the doubt?

Let's accept the draft was bad. Don't discount Grier saw the problem and brought in scouts/evaluators with solid/ successful careers. He saw the problem and made changes. These may or may not work, but lest's not pretend this is the same organization.

Let's accept the draft was bad. Don't discount Grier saw the problem and brought in scouts/evaluators with solid/ successful careers. He saw the problem and made changes. These may or may not work, but lest's not pretend this is the same organization.
To me, it's the same organization until they prove that they are not. That's why I said Grier needs to nail this draft. He can not squander all this draft capital he has acquired. The biggest part of that equation is finding a franchise QB even if he has to part with some of that said draft capital.

To me, it's the same organization until they prove that they are not. That's why I said Grier needs to nail this draft. He can not squander all this draft capital he has acquired. The biggest part of that equation is finding a franchise QB even if he has to part with some of that said draft capital.

We disagree. I think his replacing the previous scouts is a good indication and gives some benefit of the doubt.

Okay, we acknowledge Grier is not Bobby Bethard or Ron Wolfe. No more defending him just because he's all we have right now. I liked the purge, it was necessary and the aqusition of draft capitol it brought. Wilkins, meh needs more talent around him. I think he's a DE in this system but without an anchor at NT and weak LB's, we had to play a hybrid 4-3. Rosen probably won't work out but you almost had to take the chance that you steal a franchise QB for a late 2nd. 3rd round Guard incomplete. Prince a low risk gamble? Those picks rarely make the active roster. He has been in place for awhile but IMHO not the final say until this past draft. Just my opinion. If he wanks this draft, like trading up for Tua, fire him and hire Percy Lipshitz for all I care. He hired a coach that seems to be switched on. I think working with him and drafting his kind of players, as opposed to Gases' pud pullers, might be enough to make the team measurably better. Like Rosen I can't see replacing him yet without a suitable replacement. I also think the debate of who was calling the shots except for last year is not as cut and dried as you might think, despite what Mando say's. Think that POS TBum.

But we have a LOT more invested in THIS draft than any other team.
So what? All the teams are in the same predicament. No team as an advantage over any other. It's like two teams playing in bad weather and one team complaining about it but both teams are dealing with the same circumstances.

So what? All the teams are in the same predicament. No team as an advantage over any other. It's like two teams playing in bad weather and one team complaining about it but both teams are dealing with the same circumstances.
It's nothing like that.

I don't know how else to explain it to you, sorry.

I'm starting to feel optimistic about the draft. The key is the first moments when Burrow's fate is decided. If we move up and get him then we can stop sweating. If Cinci snags him our worries are just starting. But I have a positive feeling that this FO has a specific plan to roll out.

Back
Top Bottom