**The Fire Larry Coker Thread** | Page 15 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

**The Fire Larry Coker Thread**

If Shannon leaves Miami any word on him being up for other head coaching jobs? Or will he be looking for a coordinator job at another school?

DonShula84 said:
If Shannon leaves Miami any word on him being up for other head coaching jobs? Or will he be looking for a coordinator job at another school?
Shannon was mentioned at Alabama on the radio down here but i doubt that..I saw his name on a list for Texas as the DC and the FIU HC job

Leach may have interest

Texas Tech coach Mike Leach, known for his innovative offense, is said to be intrigued by UM's opening.

Though many coaches nationwide have spent this week denying interest in the head-coaching jobs at Miami, Alabama and North Carolina State, it appears Texas Tech coach Mike Leach is intrigued by the Miami opening -- and likely has strong interest.

Leach, who spends several days a year in Key West with his assistant coaches, declined an interview request by The Miami Herald this week. But one person in the UM football program said Leach has made it clear within the college coaching community that he is extremely interested in pursuing the job. Another person who is close to Leach indicated he would be receptive to contact by UM

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/16146916.htm

260709347978-1.jpg

:refuse:

305TillIDie said:
Leach may have interest

He's an intriguing choice, but I doubt we will actually pick him. I think we'd pick Shannon over him because Shannon doesn't set our program back in recruiting (which I believe Leach would), he has a better knowledge of the program and history of the U, and I also think he's more qualified. I'd be extremely interested in Leach as an OC, but it makes no sense for him to take a step back, because he's done some pretty good things as a head coach. The one knock I have against Shannon is that I'm not sure how much he'd try to change the offensive schemes, which are the one thing holding our program back. With a wide open offense, there's absolutely no reason we can't run the table. Our only bad loss this year was Louisville, but I think if Baby J started that game, there would have been a different outcome. All I'm saying is, we're close to being a top team again, we just need the right coaches.

well, if you had leach running the offense and shannon running the defense....could anyone stop miami?

No, but I don't think Shannon stays, now that he is a viable candidate for the HC job.

I put together a hypothetical staff under Shannon over at Canesheaven, though I'd share it here too.

HC-Randy Shannon- would also assist 1st-year coach Michael Barrow with LB's. (current DC)

DC/Assistant DL-John Palermo- an extremely accomplished and respected coach brings experience to an otherwise young staff. Will also assist Jeff Popovich with ST. (current DL coach)

OC/QB-Jeff Brohm- An up-and-coming young coach brings fire and a proven system to a lackluster unit. (current QB coach-Louisville)

OL/TE/Assistant HC-Mario Cristobal- Mario continues his work with a young O-line as well as taking over his old spot as TE coach, which flourished under him and stumbled this year when he moved to OL. Also receives AHC title to keep him happy(He's being courted as a HC by some schools). (current OL coach)

WR-Marquis Mosely- Mosely is retained due to good recruiting and the fairly good job he's done with the receivers. (current WR coach)

RB-Ron Gould- The guy that's mentored guys like JJ Arrington and Marshawn Lynch is brought in to work with our RB talent. (current RB coach-Cal)

DL/Recruiting Coordinator-Clint Hurtt- One of our best recruiters becomes the full-fledged DL coach as well as RC. (current Assistant DL coach)

LB-Michael Barrow- A UM great comes home to be a coach for the first time. (1st time Coach)

DB-Tim Walton- Tim is retained due to his good work. (current DB coach)

ST-Jeff Popovich- former UM walk-on turned DB and special teams ace tries to restore a unit to it's former greatness. (current GA-Defense)

Fired- Rich Olsen(OC), Todd Berry(QB), Joe Pannunzio(ST/TE).

Caps said:
I put together a hypothetical staff under Shannon over at Canesheaven, though I'd share it here too.

HC-Randy Shannon- would also assist 1st-year coach Michael Barrow with LB's. (current DC)

DC/Assistant DL-John Palermo- an extremely accomplished and respected coach brings experience to an otherwise young staff. Will also assist Jeff Popovich with ST. (current DL coach)

OC/QB-Jeff Brohm- An up-and-coming young coach brings fire and a proven system to a lackluster unit. (current QB coach-Louisville)

OL/TE/Assistant HC-Mario Cristobal- Mario continues his work with a young O-line as well as taking over his old spot as TE coach, which flourished under him and stumbled this year when he moved to OL. Also receives AHC title to keep him happy(He's being courted as a HC by some schools). (current OL coach)

WR-Marquis Mosely- Mosely is retained due to good recruiting and the fairly good job he's done with the receivers. (current WR coach)

RB-Ron Gould- The guy that's mentored guys like JJ Arrington and Marshawn Lynch is brought in to work with our RB talent. (current RB coach-Cal)

DL/Recruiting Coordinator-Clint Hurtt- One of our best recruiters becomes the full-fledged DL coach as well as RC. (current Assistant DL coach)

LB-Michael Barrow- A UM great comes home to be a coach for the first time. (1st time Coach)

DB-Tim Walton- Tim is retained due to his good work. (current DB coach)

ST-Jeff Popovich- former UM walk-on turned DB and special teams ace tries to restore a unit to it's former greatness. (current GA-Defense)

Fired- Rich Olsen(OC), Todd Berry(QB), Joe Pannunzio(ST/TE).

Are all those coaches available or did you just put together a dream staff :lol:

Anyway that looks like a good staff.

I just saw a commercial 'Hi Im Larry Coker, Head Coach of your Miami Hurricanes' Not for much longer he isnt

Alex44 said:
Are all those coaches available or did you just put together a dream staff :lol:

Anyway that looks like a good staff.

I just saw a commercial 'Hi Im Larry Coker, Head Coach of your Miami Hurricanes' Not for much longer he isnt
Nah that staff is very realistic, 7 of the 10 coaches are already here. We'd just have to convince Brohm and Gould to come join us, and word is that now that Barrow is done playing, he wants to come back to the U in some capacity.

Caps said:
Nah that staff is very realistic, 7 of the 10 coaches are already here. We'd just have to convince Brohm and Gould to come join us, and word is that now that Barrow is done playing, he wants to come back to the U in some capacity.

How about Michael Irvin coaching WR's?

Caps said:

Yeah thats the part I meant about realistic, is there any indication they would want to leave their school? I cant see Bromh leaving until his brother graduates...seeing as how hos brother is the QB. So of Brian stays another year I dont think he is an option

Alex44 said:
Yeah thats the part I meant about realistic, is there any indication they would want to leave their school? I cant see Bromh leaving until his brother graduates...seeing as how hos brother is the QB. So of Brian stays another year I dont think he is an option

Well, I obviously can't speak for Brohm, but from a business standpoint, I'm sure he recognizes one very important fact. Bobby Petrino is the head coach, and isn't going anywhere for a long time. The offensive coordinator, the position I'm sure he wants some day if he has any ambition whatsoever, is Petrino's brother, Paul. He obviously is going nowhere any time soon either.

So if Jeff wants to climb the ladder, so to speak, he has to leave Louisville. I'm $ure there are a few more reason$ why we may be able to per$uade him a$ well a$ Gould to come, but I can't think of any other$ right now.:wink:

Back
Top Bottom