The Five Kinds Of Miami Dolphins Fans

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by finomenal, Jul 12, 2018 at 12:10 PM.

?

What kind of Dolfan are you?

1. The Undefeated Dolphins fan

40.0%
  2. The Ryan Tannehill Dolphins fan

12.9%
  3. The Deserted Island Dolphins fan

37.1%
  4. The Tailgate Dolphins fan

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. The Zombie fan

10.0%
  1. finomenal

finomenal A True Fan

https://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/five-types-of-miami-dolphins-fans-10506759

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018 at 12:16 PM
    fishfanmiami and BobDole like this.
  2. The Goat

The Goat Escape Goat Finheaven VIP

I don't think that link goes where you think it goes.

finomenal likes this.
  3. BobDole

BobDole Suck it Trebek Finheaven VIP

I wasn't sure until 'Now, they laugh during the most miserable moments of Dolphin games and predict missed field goals before they happen'. That encapsulation is so perfect it's borderline creepy.

catzero4, 1 dol fan, ladeback and 5 others like this.
  4. BobDole

It's the article under the top one. Don't worry, ads don't pop up like ninjas while you're scrolling down ...

5. SuperMarksBros.

SuperMarksBros. Formerly Fiedler for MVP

I laughed at this and losses used to ruin their Mondays part.
    I am SO the deserted island fan

finomenal, ladeback, Dajesus and 2 others like this.
  6. Fins1971

Fins1971 C'mon Dolphins Finheaven VIP

7. fishfanmiami

fishfanmiami Grip it and rip it Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

8. Superself

Superself If you want to, we can supply you.

There should be another group. The Dan Marino era Dolphins fan. That is a big group who may not have experienced the domination of the 70's but were there when the Dolphins had the best pure passing QB of all time.

9. NY8123

NY8123 Sophisticated Redneck Administrator Super Donator Finheaven VIP Donator

I started watching the Dolphins in 1980 and then Marino sealed it for me in 83.

I'm a Pisan Fan.

fishfanmiami likes this.
  10. finmann

finmann Pro Bowler

I'm a fan that despite all the disappointments over the years, continues to come back for more like a junkie. I'm a fan that doesn't seem to learn from his mistakes and believes the hype year after year, alas, I'm a fan in bonds. Where does that fall in the category....man I need to get out more.

finomenal and henne7_davis21 like this.
  11. superphin

superphin close your eyes, see that? no your eyes are closed Finheaven VIP

I started really watching during parts of the 2001 season and closely followed during the off season of the Ricky Williams trade. So I was witness to 3 good seasons before our descent into mediocrity. Ricky Williams really ignited my fandom and he is by far my favorite dolphin. As a professional day dreamer I wonder how far we would go if we had Tannehill on that 2002 team. Playoff appearance? Playoff wins? SB win? Any difference in record?

NBP81 and coalesce like this.
  12. Dajesus

Dajesus A True Fan Donator

That’s Deaserted island fan. That’s what I am, sadly.

13. DolfanISS

DolfanISS Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP

My story is this. In 1982 there was a football game on TV, I asked my dad, "Dad which team are you rooting for". He said, "the white team". The white team won the game and it was the Miami Dolphins. I can't imagine what would have happened had my dad said the green team or if the green team had won. The game was the AFC Championship and despite the Super Bowl loss I stuck with the Dolphins. I became a much bigger fan in the Marino era.

My Dad is actually a Pats fan but they sucked back then and he's not the type that hates the rival teams like many of us. I think he roots for Miami when they aren't playing NE although I think he roots for the teams he bets with before Miami.

14. Shoes

Shoes Well-Known Member

I am the fan that has high hopes every summer, watches every single game, roots as hard as I can, hopes we are still in the hunt at Christmas, and just enjoys being around other fans.

And truly believe we will win a Super Bowl before I die and no pessimist can convince me otherwise.

fishfanmiami likes this.
  15. The Ghost

The Ghost Stamos

Oh shoot, out of immediate reaction I voted for Tannehill fan. Didn't see the criteria.

Turns out I am part Desert Island/Zombie fan.

At the end of the day, you're either a 100% Dolphins fan or your not. #StrongerTogether.

TheJetsBlow likes this.
  16. tay0365

tay0365 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I am am undefeated Dolphins fan, that also happens to be a huge Tannehill fan.

joeylats, coalesce and fishfanmiami like this.
  17. BahamaFinFan78

BahamaFinFan78 A True Fan

Definitely deserted island aka Marino fan

TheJetsBlow likes this.
  18. where's th'fish

where's th'fish Scout Team Donator

You must be planning to live for a long, long time, good for you! :laugh

superphin likes this.
  19. rent this space

rent this space Starter Finheaven VIP

I remember the undefeated season(barely) but more of tailgater at heart

20. Pitbull13

Pitbull13 Pitbull13

That's where I belong

Superself likes this.
  21. where's th'fish

where's th'fish Scout Team Donator

Same here. So happy to say I'm not nearly as invested in sports in general anymore. If someone's going to ruin my Monday, it's gonna be me. Would still be happy if we turned into a good team, though

SuperMarksBros. likes this.
  22. Ren

Ren Rookie

I'm a deserted island fan, but not the way this article described it. It's because, living in Dallas, I feel so alone during game days.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018 at 3:27 PM
  23. fansinceGWilson

fansinceGWilson FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I don't have to explain how long I've been a fan. I'll say I'm a Dolphin fan just like I'm a fan of my High School. I was a fan when they won the state championship, I was a fan when the went 1-9, I'm still a fan. I didn't like the Sparano pick, didn't like the Philbin pick, and have been critical of a number of drafts/FAs. Doesn't mean I'm not a fan. I can think Nannee sucks, and Martin sucks, but still a fan. In this case, I think this roster has more talent than any in a long time (not saying much, I know). In spite of the purported logic of some, I can be optimistic, but still see all the questions and hype others see. Regardless what group any of us are in, fans can see reality AND be optimistic at the same time. I can hope it won't rain on my wedding, but still pay attention to the weather report.

24. John813

John813 Well-Known Member

Definitely the deserted Dolphin fan.

Before Parkey I felt every kick would go wide right.

WCUPUNK likes this.
  25. NyPhan23

NyPhan23 Starter

Eh, no offense, but I feel like there should be a lot more than 10% of zombie fans around here. At least this time of year.

26. TheJetsBlow

TheJetsBlow A True Fan

The New Times publishes this same article every summer. And I’m totally the deserted island Dolphins fan.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018 at 3:24 PM
  27. fansinceGWilson

fansinceGWilson FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I'm surprised there are ANY zombie fans here. Of the most optimistic fans here, it seems they all couch there optimism with 'if's' or "I think.' 10 wins predicted by some still leaves 6 losses. I doubt any liked EVERY draft pick. I see a lot of optimism here - a lot more optimism than I have, but I don't see blind optimism. No zombies.

28. coalesce

coalesce Dolphin Fan since 1974

Been a fan since theirs since their last Super Bowl victory. Will I ever learn?

29. Ray R

Ray R FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

While I disagree with the anti-optimistic term "Zombie" and the presumptuous, looking down their nose at the optimistic point of view for category attitude, I do find myself in the camp of optimistic fans, so I voted zombie.

I wish the poster showed some more logical thought for the categories. Where is the Dan Marino fan, or The Adam Gase fan (that would best describe my position) or the Pessimistic fan, or the Extra Whiney Pessimistic fan or better yet, the New Dolphin Dynasty fan of which I am one?

More reasonable and accurate descriptions for segments of the fan base to identify with would make this a much better thread, IMNSHO!

HeyHoLet'sGo and Superself like this.
  30. DolfanISS

What would we call the fans who make a point that doesn't come to fruition for months and then when it does for one bad game they come out of the woodwork to gloat about how they were right? We have lots of those here.

What do we call the fans who are all about the draft pick to the point where they think you're an idiot for not rooting against the team as if you're rooting interest affects the outcome of the games? These are my absolute favorite posters, the ones that say, "I guess I don't love meaningless wins" as if the fans who were cheering for the team willed them to victory.

What do we call the fans in the game thread who are ready to give up on the game after the opponent puts together one good drive as if they are expecting us to pitch a shutout or score on every possession every week?

These are 3 of my personal favorites.

31. BobDole

I think the negative connotation comes from the Dolphins being mediocre for a long time. Could you call a Patriot fan a zombie if they constantly agree with moves that end up working out? Perspective matters in this instance ... plus the author's bias lent itself to the comedic purposes of the article.

Ray R and TheJetsBlow like this.
  32. DolfanISS

Funny thing is I hear pats fans complaining about the moves they make every year.

33. 1 dol fan

1 dol fan Super Donator Super Donator Donator

I’m mostly deserted with a touch of zombie. It’s a tough balancing act. I’ve accepted mediocrity to the point of cynicism yet still allow the team to fool me into believing come training camp. If this situation doesn’t cause psychological trauma if sustained, then I’m not sure what will.

TheJetsBlow likes this.
  34. TheJetsBlow

TheJetsBlow A True Fan

That’s just a right of passage for fans of all sports teams lol- good, bad, or hopelessly mediocre.

35. Ray R

Ray R FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Possibly, I've known a lot of bad comics in my time and that includes myself. Once an NFL team makes a change in ownership or the head coach, it's a new ballgame. These changes occur at a much slower rate than with the players where there is some change every year. Two or three years after a leadership change, the teams roster is usually mostly new faces. Clinging on to complaints from previous leaderships teams is, at its best, very limiting with regards to predicting a teams future performance.

I started following the Dolphins when Adam Gase came and I remember my reaction to the fans on this forum which was what a bunch of whiners. They said we had the toughest schedule in the NFL in 2016. A year later after we had gone 10-6 they said we had had the easiest schedule that year. We weren't going to win 4 games. A year later they are making excuses for why we won. Now don't get me wrong. Those posters weren't as crucificational about the team and its players as the fans were in Chicago the previous year when I had just started to follow Adam Gase. It was just that a new coach came in, took control and had this team in the playoffs, made it competitive and was juggling players due to their poor performance, injury and incompetence. This accomplishment was largely ignored. Instead the same folks that had been predicting a subpar year were now complaining we didn't advance deep enough into the playoffs. This kind of hypocritical whining really turned me off concerning this forum.

Do to lack of meaningful alternatives (I tried ALL the other forums but they were either non-functional, less than current and offered limited insight into the team) I came back here. After following this forum for a while I started to see some good and occasionally great analysis of the team and its on field performance. Once I started interacting with some of the posters I began to see broader viewpoints showing up, even if it did take some lengthy threads for a lot of the information to emerge. I'm glad I stayed.

I still grit my teeth at some of the posts I see, but I have begun to see a change in the direction of the general attitudes about the team on this thread. I see an unwilling optimism occurring in this forum. Considering what I had seen, this is a breath of fresh air. The complaints now seem to center on how long it will take to get to the Superbowl. In my opinion it may be this year or it may not be this year. Whoops, have I become a realist or am I still a "zombie"?

Superself and BobDole like this.
  36. NBP81

NBP81 Yippi ka yay mother******! Finheaven VIP Donator

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018 at 8:49 PM
    1 dol fan likes this.
  37. Goin` Deep

Goin` Deep "Pick your guy...and let it fly." Finheaven VIP Donator

Became a fan at 5, watching the playoff win vs KC Christmas Day 1971. Saw the SB wins, the end of the dynasty, the Marino years, Shula getting replaced by Jimmy, and the mediocrity bs since. I've seen it all! I live and die with this team. I'm not abandoning them now, that's for sure!

38. finomenal

finomenal A True Fan

Wrong article. Funny story though. They held a conference to ask the Papa Johns guy to be less racist. What does he do? He responds by being racist.

IMG_4455.PNG

Gotta appreciate the audacity though. Honesty is the best policy. I prefer to know who my enemies are. Good on the Marlins for booting Papa Johns. Pretty good PR move at least. They can use it.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018 at 8:42 PM
    coalesce and NBP81 like this.
  39. NBP81

NBP81 Yippi ka yay mother******! Finheaven VIP Donator

Thanks for the heads up, just fixed it!

finomenal likes this.
  40. DKphin

DKphin A True Fan Donator

I am a combination of The Undefeated Dolphins fan and The Deserted Island Dolphins fan