The Fumble: Tannehill Checked Out of a Run Play | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Fumble: Tannehill Checked Out of a Run Play

Do you think Tannehill should've changed the play to a pass?

• Total voters

Shouright

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel said:
Considering the Dolphins were at mid-field and needed to kill three minutes, why not continue to run the ball? Why exactly were the Dolphins passing on second-and-8 from the 50-yard line with a one-point lead?

Tannehill acknowledged he checked into a pass play after seeing the Bills defense in an eight-man front, which means they were committed to stopping the run.

"It was one of our pass concepts," coach Joe Philbin said. "It was something we'd done a bunch of. It was a base concept, a play we felt we knew and a play we felt we could execute."

Tannehill described the play as "great" and pointed out the Bills have given the same coverage to the formation all game. Hartline was running a comeback route, and Tannehill was waiting for him to stop before throwing the pass.

"If we have another half-second, no one is talking about this," said Tannehill, who has a 83.1 passer rating after six starts.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...phins-1021-20131020,0,4840278.story?track=rss

EDIT: Some more information here:

http://live.advancednflstats.com/index.php?gameid1=2013102006

Based on the chart on that page, the Dolphins were 72% likely to win the game prior to that play, and then after the fumble, they became only 33% likely to win it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Then he is a complete moron. What the hell do you think teams do when you're trying to run out the clock? Also, you have to weight the strong possibility that an eight man front will create disruption against your O/L. Especially when you try to pass on what a 3 step drop from under center?

Apologies to Sherman....

Try as I might I just cant get mad at the play call. It's an unfortunate result but you have to expect the line to hold for a half second more.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a slippery slope because you don't want to handcuff a qb you train him to audible in certain situations. He has to protect the football period the end!

Critical mistake by the QB. No question. I am even more sick now.

Well...Clabo still screwed the pooch no matter what the call was. You still have to block weather it is pass or run and Clabo did not do that plain and simple.

It's a slippery slope because you don't want to handcuff a qb you train him to audible in certain situations. He has to protect the football period the end!

He also needs to be able to FULLY evaluate the situation too.

Honestly, I'm more pissed about ball security than play calling.

Clabo needs to block better. End of discussion.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Stupid check by RT. Run the ball. I do not need the Drew Bledsoe river boat gambler attitude.

He ahould have changed protection, all could see it was a jailbreak.

Back
Top Bottom