The future of FA signings in Miami | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The future of FA signings in Miami

Last year Miami needed to add talent. They needed to fill out the roster with players.

Going into next offseason I highly doubt they'll add multiple FAs, and maybe not ever again.

Can't go that far. Signing 1-2 FAs projected to start wouldn't surprise me at all. And I'd expect 1-2 for backup. Given that, I agree, I don't think fans will see a lot of FA signings.

Anybody else think talented free agents around the league will be now lining up to be a part of this resurgence? Having been through something similar for many years in New England will undoubtably serve us well as we assemble the right pieces moving forward. Between playing for Coach Flo and with one of the youngest rosters in the NFL on the upswing, the future is so bright it makes me feel like 1983 all over again.

I think FA's are glad to have anyone look at them, except for the prima donnas that think they are worth a lot more then they turn out to be.

The FA's that line up at your door may be the most desperate, or ones that have properly analyzed their strengths and weaknesses and see where they could be a good fit, or prima donnas who think every other team is as "smart" as the "Texans" were.

Anybody else think talented free agents around the league will be now lining up to be a part of this resurgence? Having been through something similar for many years in New England will undoubtably serve us well as we assemble the right pieces moving forward. Between playing for Coach Flo and with one of the youngest rosters in the NFL on the upswing, the future is so bright it makes me feel like 1983 all over again.
No, I don't think talented Free Agents will want to come here. Talented free agents want the biggest paycheck they can get for their services. I don't think we are in the business of cutting big checks knowing that one day we may have to back the truck up for Tua, while out two starting CB's make more than the GDP of a 3rd world country.

We can win with good players, coupled with good coaching.

I think the opposite is true.

I don't see us adding/overpaying top tier FAs. It is a recipe for disaster cap wise. I think the big $ Jones signing was the outlier, but it was also key, when paired with Howard, to realizing the vision Flo had for this scheme.

No, I think mid level role fits are more likely, and also the correct way to go.

It is becoming clear to me that GM Grier knows when to take on a more expensive FA and when to be happy with a "middle of the road" FA. He hasn't picked too many FA's that haven't panned out. When he does, they don't seem to last very long!

It's like that song "The Gambler?".

"You've got to know when to hold them and know when to fold them …".

Last year Miami needed to add talent. They needed to fill out the roster with players.

Going into next offseason I highly doubt they'll add multiple FAs, and maybe not ever again.
Hopefully there is no need to, at least in the near future. Between the previous draft, and the next, our stockpile of talent on rookie deals should mitigate the need to do that.

At some point, we will have to resign/extend valuable guys. For all intents and purposes, that is virtually the same thing as signing FAs, with the added benifit of them already knowing, and being comfortable, in the system.

Can't see Miami spending big money on free agents this offseason. Hopefully Miami will continue to build through the draft.

Especially with a lot of high draft picks like we have this upcoming draft.

Once we start wining playoff berths, I see our pick selection dropping, both in number and position.

At that time, and I feel it's coming soon, excellent selections out of the FA market, along with continuous weeding the "regressing" and never "showed up" team members will be a must in order to keep our strength up and still get some significant extra draft choices.

Last edited:
"You've got to know when to hold them and know when to fold them …".
My dear departed father wasn't big on giving advice, but he went out of his way to point out the value of that Kenny Rodgers line as words that would serve me well on my journey.

That and "you are 18 now. You will go to jail for doing that $hit'.

He wasn't one to mince words.

No, I don't think talented Free Agents will want to come here. Talented free agents want the biggest paycheck they can get for their services. I don't think we are in the business of cutting big checks knowing that one day we may have to back the truck up for Tua, while out two starting CB's make more than the GDP of a 3rd world country.

We can win with good players, coupled with good coaching.

Keep in mind that Brady took lower pay raises for 20 years, knowing the money he didn't get was what was keeping him standing and scoring. Even then he wasn't "under paid".

I definitely think so. I mean we finally have a Coach, we have a good upcoming young team, we have draft picks to add talent, and it's Miami/South Beach. What is there not to like.

I definitely think so. I mean we finally have a Coach, we have a good upcoming young team, we have draft picks to add talent, and it's Miami/South Beach. What is there not to like.
Not to mention the tax situation, as compared to a lot of places.

That adds up to millions over the course of any long term deal for even a mid level guy.

Back
Top Bottom