The future of FA signings in Miami | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The future of FA signings in Miami

Agreed, but that's one out of how many FA signings?

Your original statement implied a general direction. That has not been the reality, nor do I expect it to be going forward.

One move out of ten does not support a general philosophy.
I can appreciate the thought here but your logic is flawed. Your model assesses procurement of players as equals. They aren’t! To explain

It isn’t so much “1 out of 10 players!!” that dictates the strategy employed by Flores, it’s the amount of money they spend.

If you have $10,000,000 to spend and spend 5mm on one player, 2mm on one player and 1mm on 3 players, you’re clearly expressing your desire for “blue chip” players. We clearly will add them as time goes on but only if they are scheme fits.

FA's may want to come here more but its still about the paycheck.

I believe the Dolphins will be in the market for losing home-grown players who value themselves (ie: Godchaux) more than the team believes they are worth. Thus we will be losing some talent but hopefully acquiring more draft picks (trade or compensation). Unless there is a Flo connection, I don't see the organization paying anyone top 5 money.

Next year will be an interesting one to watch with the cap ceiling unknown at this time.

Could be aggressive in signing guys that got squeezed out due to cap issues on previous team that maybe usually would of never hit FA.

Think they will attack FA depending on who hits and the fit.

Doubt moving forward they will throw money at big names cause they are big names. Has to make sense

I can appreciate the thought here but your logic is flawed. Your model assesses procurement of players as equals. They aren’t! To explain

It isn’t so much “1 out of 10 players!!” that dictates the strategy employed by Flores, it’s the amount of money they spend.

If you have $10,000,000 to spend and spend 5mm on one player, 2mm on one player and 1mm on 3 players, you’re clearly expressing your desire for “blue chip” players. We clearly will add them as time goes on but only if they are scheme fits.
We shall see what happens, but Grier has openly stated his philosophy, and it is contrary to your premise.

Jones signing was a move that advanced us in the team rebuild. With the unknown of where the cap will be, I think you will see more 2nd tier FA signings that fit our foundation. The draft is where this team is going to restock the teams talent in the future. If there is a key piece to the foundation that is available during FA then they may take a look at it, but those days of where we stood on pins and needles for the Dolphins FA signings is a thing of the past I believe.

I believe the Dolphins will be in the market for losing home-grown players who value themselves (ie: Godchaux) more than the team believes they are worth. Thus we will be losing some talent but hopefully acquiring more draft picks (trade or compensation). Unless there is a Flo connection, I don't see the organization paying anyone top 5 money.
Jones would disagree, and if Ogbah continues his tear, he will get paid big as well.

DG is, at best, a rotational piece in this scheme.

He is probably correct, in that he may have more value to another team. One that doesn't/didn't have seven hundred draft picks to fill holes.

Also, I see Tua not demanding the top contract in the NFL..

His demeanor isn't that of a guy that wants that..

Maybe I'm wrong.
That's what agents are for. He may not be that type of guy, but he isnt stupid either. He probably (assuming he pans out) would be a guy that is loyal and gives the "home town discount" but I doubt he leaves 10s of millions on the table.

Agree. But, if two offers are Miami and NYJ and NYJ's offer is 1mm more, playing for Flo and a team with a good shot at consistent playoff appearances, Miami can win that

A team like New Orleans is going to be in salary cap hell in 2021 and will have to unload some quality players. If Drew Brees also retires in 2021, the Saints problem is exacerbated because of the big dead cap hit. This will happen when the salary cap declines because of the massive NFL revenue hits resulting from game attendance due to the pandemic. Make no mistake, there will be some terrific opportunities to buy quality at a discount.
Having said all of that, Miami is still pretty fiscally conservative (and I think that's a good thing). Mr Ross is a businessman and the team is run as a business not as a billionaire indulgence. With the minor exception of Jordan Howard, the 2020 Free Agents acquired by the Dolphins appear to have been very successful to date and when was the last time that we could say that? In the process Stephen Ross is gaining greater trust in what Grier and Flores are doing. The big difference I see this year is that our Coach and GM are philosophically aligned and they are systematically implementing the plan. Flo has seen first hand in New England the benefits of fiscal prudence and selective key player acquisitions and I expect us to follow suit. I doubt that we splurge but a key acquisition or 2 is likely.

(cough, Michael Thomas, cough, cough). Just clearing my throat - I better get tested.

Last edited:
Teams like New Orleans and Minnesota are going to be in salary cap hell in 2021 and will have to unload some quality players. If Drew Brees also retires in 2021, the Saints problem is exacerbated because of the big dead cap hit. This will happen when the salary cap declines because of the massive NFL revenue hits resulting from game attendance due to the pandemic. Make no mistake, there will be some terrific opportunities to buy quality at a discount.
Having said all of that, Miami is still pretty fiscally conservative. Mr Ross is a businessman and the team is run as a business not as a billionaire indulgence. With the minor exception of Jordan Howard, the 2020 Free Agents acquired by the Dolphins appear to have been very successful to date (and when was the last time that we could say that?). In the process Stephen Ross is gaining greater trust in what Grier and Flores are doing. The big difference I see this year is that our Coach and GM are philosophically aligned and they are systematically implementing the plan. Flo has seen first hand in New England the benefits of fiscal prudence and selective key player acquisitions and I expect us to follow suit.
Minnesota is actually in not terrible shape for 2021. The Eagles and Saints are going to have to do total teardowns. Pittsburgh and Atlanta are also in a world of hurt, and Kansas City will have some work to do. Those are some pretty good free agents to peruse.

Back
Top Bottom