The future of FA signings in Miami | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The future of FA signings in Miami

A team like New Orleans is going to be in salary cap hell in 2021 and will have to unload some quality players. If Drew Brees also retires in 2021, the Saints problem is exacerbated because of the big dead cap hit. This will happen when the salary cap declines because of the massive NFL revenue hits resulting from game attendance due to the pandemic. Make no mistake, there will be some terrific opportunities to buy quality at a discount.
Having said all of that, Miami is still pretty fiscally conservative (and I think that's a good thing). Mr Ross is a businessman and the team is run as a business not as a billionaire indulgence. With the minor exception of Jordan Howard, the 2020 Free Agents acquired by the Dolphins appear to have been very successful to date (and when was the last time that we could say that?). In the process Stephen Ross is gaining greater trust in what Grier and Flores are doing. The big difference I see this year is that our Coach and GM are philosophically aligned and they are systematically implementing the plan. Flo has seen first hand in New England the benefits of fiscal prudence and selective key player acquisitions and I expect us to follow suit. I doubt that we splurge but a key acquisition or 2 is likely.

(cough, Michael Thomas, cough, cough).
It counts as dead cap if a player retires? That doesn't make sense.

If he plays up to his abilities, he will make Mahomes contract look silly. And it should. No way you leave millions on the table.
Why?

Tua will make a ton of money from endorsements...

Brady always left money on the table to ensure a better team. He married a hot model... he got rings.

Maybe being greedy is counterproductive? Just a thought.

Yes.

The reason is that all the signing bonus moneys... which would have been averaged over future years of play... are now due in full.

For a star player, who tend to get a LOT of upfront money... it can be a big hit.
huh, thats crazy. i almost feel like the player should forfeit that for that year if they decide to retire (and I'm a proponent of the players getting every penny they can whenever they can)

Why?

Brady always left money on the table to ensure a better team. He married a hot model... he got rings.

Yes and no. Brady was not on the official salary cap. But the patriots were more than generous to pass money through his charities and businesses. Its a loophole most teams still have no clue how to use.

huh, thats crazy. i almost feel like the player should forfeit that for that year if they decide to retire (and I'm a proponent of the players getting every penny they can whenever they can)
Smart agents structure contracts to avoid this...

Back in the day, they didn't. For instance, Barry Sanders retired early and ended up owing the Lions some money... which he only returned to them year by year.

It was ugly... and it changed the way contracts were written.

Yes and no. Brady was not on the official salary cap. But the patriots were more than generous to pass money through his charities and businesses. Its a loophole most teams still have no clue how to use.
The Dolphins just made a 75 million commit to one of the charities... cancer society??

So... maybe we'll be that smart.

Why?

Counterproductive to whom?

The team is supposed to pay you what you are worth to said team. If Tua cracks his bad hip in the 1st year if his second contract, I doubt if the Dolphins are cutting him a multi-million dollar severance/insurance check just because he took a hometown discount.

Get every dime that is owed to you for risking life and limb on that football field.

Defense I trust Flo to pick up FA. Offense, build thur drafts

Dolphins organization is viewed differently now versus the last 10-20 years. Our front office and coaching staff have gotten a lot of good press lately. Winning and no Florida income tax helps as well. Location is also good because Florida produces a ton of talented football players, some of whom would prefer to stay there. I think some overestimate the climate since many NFL cities are desirable and have good climates, eg southern cities. And money will still be the most important factor in most free agent negotiations. But... that being said, you add all of the factors mentioned and Miami is clearly going to be one of the most desired destinations. Gone are the days of having to beg someone to come for a visit!

That's one way to look at it, but the team has already paid the signing bonus, and has no way to recoup it, should the player retire a day later.

The fact is, spreading that over the life of the contract is already to the teams advantage, as it's better than taking the hit in the first year.

Can't have it both ways. Otherwise, a team could just manipulate a huge signing, and miniscule salary to cheat the system.

Counterproductive to whom?

The team is supposed to pay you what you are worth to said team. If Tua cracks his bad hip in the 1st year if his second contract, I doubt if the Dolphins are cutting him a multi-million dollar severance/insurance check just because he took a hometown discount.

Get every dime that is owed to you for risking life and limb on that football field.
Well... that's one theory.

Another one might be to purchase an insurance policy vs. that possibility.... especially if you are talking about 10s of millions of dollars.

I think you are being quite short-sighted... but hey, it's only an opinion.

Smart agents structure contracts to avoid this...

Back in the day, they didn't. For instance, Barry Sanders retired early and ended up owing the Lions some money... which he only returned to them year by year.

It was ugly... and it changed the way contracts were written.
Ricky had the same situation here, albeit different reasons.

Back
Top Bottom