The future of FA signings in Miami | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The future of FA signings in Miami

huh, thats crazy. i almost feel like the player should forfeit that for that year if they decide to retire (and I'm a proponent of the players getting every penny they can whenever they can)
If Drew Brees retired tomorrow, he has a dead cap hit of over $46M per Spotrac. It's because he has been paid low salaries and incredibly large amounts as signing bonuses (and these should be averaged over the life of his contract). The New Orleans Saints have been working the system for years. To use an analogy, they have been spending big on credit. However, eventually the big debt has to be paid and that occurs when the nearly 42 year old legend, Drew retires. Different teams have different approaches. Saints GM, Mickey Loomis has known for a long time that their dead cap hit on Brees will happen.

Last edited:
Why?

Tua will make a ton of money from endorsements...

Brady always left money on the table to ensure a better team. He married a hot model... he got rings.

Maybe being greedy is counterproductive? Just a thought.

Like Mahomes is making right now?

I love when people bring moral arguments to a money discussion, always implementing their own beliefs onto others.

At least Brady's wings weren't only Victoria Secrets, his were also granted from the heavens for being such a moral good man.

I love when people bring moral arguments to a money discussion, always implementing their own beliefs onto others.

At least Brady's wings weren't only Victoria Secrets, his were also granted from the heavens for being such a moral good man.
It is true that different ppl have different priorities.

When ones income reaches the level of no worries for self and family for their lifetime, and beyond, other things can become factors.

Yes, Brady may have gotten more cash elsewhere, but winning championships was a lot more likely in NE at the time. He chose winning over $.

It is true that different ppl have different priorities.

When ones income reaches the level of no worries for self and family for their lifetime, and beyond, other things can become factors.

Yes, Brady may have gotten more cash elsewhere, but winning championships was a lot more likely in NE at the time. He chose winning over $.

He is still the exception, not the rule.

Rodgers, Brees, Wilson and Big Ben to name a few may have taken alittle less on the margins. But they werent eliminating multiple zeros in that pursuit.

Can't believe this is even a thing in his first year.

Still find it funny when people like playing with other peoples money or possible earnings in the name of some moral virtue.

Moral arguments are always worth making.

He is still the exception, not the rule.

Rodgers, Brees, Wilson and Big Ben to name a few may have taken alittle less on the margins. But they werent eliminating multiple zeros in that pursuit.

Can't believe this is even a thing in his first year.

Still find it funny when people like playing with other peoples money or possible earnings in the name of some moral virtue.
He is definitely the exception, I didn't make the argument to imply judgement on anyone.

Just pointing out that ppl are different.

And yes, it is a pointless exercise at this time. As far as "morality"? It isn't even relavent. A person getting what they can, for whatever reason they choose, is not a moral issue, as long as they aren't knowingly hurting another person.

Last edited:
Moral arguments are always worth making.
There is nothing "immoral" about getting paid what you can.

If ppl think there is, I suggest they divvy up thier wealth among the less fortunate. Otherwise they are hypocritical.

There is nothing "immoral" about getting paid what you can.

If ppl think there is, I suggest they divvy up thier wealth among the less fortunate. Otherwise they are hypocritical.
For the record... I never brought up the word 'moral' in this discussion...

It does remind me of the old joke however...

A corporate tycoon, his employees, and a union negotiator sit down at a table with 12 cookies. The tycoon quickly scoops 11 cookies into his pocket and then says to the employee... that union guy is trying to steal your cookie.

No, but you did make a comment when @DolfanDuBbZ~ correctly pointed out that morality was not relavent to the discussion.
...and I will stand by the idea that morality is relevant in EVERY discussion... even though I had not called leaving money on the table for the building of the team a 'moral' idea... Just a sensible one if you want your team to remain strong.

...and I will stand by the idea that morality is relevant in EVERY discussion... even though I had not called leaving money on the table for the building of the team a 'moral' idea... Just a sensible one if you want your team to remain strong.
I didn't mean it as a personal attack, and my apologies if it came off that way.

It's just that "morality", to me, is a basic good v evil arguement. Not a player taking less out of team loyalty, or not arguement.

Back
Top Bottom