The future of FA signings in Miami | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The future of FA signings in Miami

I didn't mean it as a personal attack, and my apologies if it came off that way.

It's just that "morality", to me, is a basic good v evil arguement. Not a player taking less out of team loyalty, or not arguement.
Not at all...

The semantics of debate always amuses me. Dubbz used the word 'moral' as a straw man argument, putting those words in someone else's mouth... even though no one else had argued that this was a moral argument... and the discussion then followed this straw-man, agreeing with dubbz that this fictional argument was incorrect... thus muddying the waters and changing the argument that HAD been made.

As long as you don't chase a straw man... he collapses under his own weight.

No expensive FAs. NONE. That's not Flo. But, yeah, quality guys who are flexible in skill set
This. I’m so “over” the big FA thing. Ok trying to think of one team that won a SB doing that. It’s probably happened but I don’t recall it. W one exception - Denver signing Peyton Manning but that hardly counts.

But we do have recent data points with regard to chasing big name FA. Did not the Dolphins sniff at both Javeon Clowney and Leveon Bell? Neither ended up here, but we can duke it out here in the forums whether trying to sign them was Want or Scheme Fit and how that projects with this weird upcoming salary cap.

This. I’m so “over” the big FA thing. Ok trying to think of one team that won a SB doing that. It’s probably happened but I don’t recall it. W one exception - Denver signing Peyton Manning but that hardly counts.
The Byron Jones signing made PERFECT sense... and that's rare. I can't think of another FA signing that the Dolphins have EVER made that made as much sense as signing a second shut-down corner.

This said, I agree with you. Signing free agents for book value is almost always a mistake unless you are on the cusp of a Super Bowl.

I liked what the Patriots have done. They've always let these guys walk and then loaded up on awarded draft picks. It stopped working only because the Patriots have drafted so poorly.

But we do have recent data points with regard to chasing big name FA. Did not the Dolphins sniff at both Javeon Clowney and Leveon Bell? Neither ended up here, but we can duke it out here in the forums whether trying to sign them was Want or Scheme Fit and how that projects with this weird upcoming salary cap.
While it is true, that we 'sniffed' these guys, it is also true that we didn't make ridiculous offers to either.

I'm always willing to take a look... make a reasonable offer... and then fold.

The Byron Jones signing made PERFECT sense... and that's rare. I can't think of another FA signing that the Dolphins have EVER made that made as much sense as signing a second shut-down corner.

This said, I agree with you. Signing free agents for book value is almost always a mistake unless you are on the cusp of a Super Bowl.

I liked what the Patriots have done. They've always let these guys walk and then loaded up on awarded draft picks. It stopped working only because the Patriots have drafted so poorly.
Right. And Jones was quietly one the best CBs in the league. The signings of guys like Wallace and Suh. And even when the Pats draft poorly they get A++ from all of the pundits. K’Neal Harry - what a disaster

One more thought that fits here.

TAKK MCKINLEYDL, UNSIGNED FREE AGENT

The Athletic's Matt Barrows reports DE Takk McKinley failed his physical with the 49ers.​

It's the second physical he's failed in the last 72 hours, reverting back to waivers both times. McKinley's groin injury clearly isn't right at this time, keeping him on the market until he's fully healed. Coach Kyle Shanahan said the team is open to signing the former first-rounder again once he's healthy.

This guy... signed for a year or two... at below book cost... could be interesting. I'd be willing to offer a prove-it sort of offer here. I wouldn't pay full price.

Even better, since he is a street free agent, he wouldn't be held against us when compensatory draft picks are awarded.

While it is true, that we 'sniffed' these guys, it is also true that we didn't make ridiculous offers to either.

I'm always willing to take a look... make a reasonable offer... and then fold.
Exactly this.

Always take a look at talented players. If they aren't amicable to a reasonable offer, move on.

I wouldn't read too much into the fact that we made a couple phone calls.

I think the covid/cap ramifications are probably overblown.

The projected cap is just a formula, defined by ownership and the CBA, that can be adjusted.

It isn't really in the best interests of most owners, and none of the players to have a drastically reduced cap from one year to the next.

Yes, profits will drop for this season, but these owners aren't hanging on by a shoesting financially, to the point that they want to destroy thier franchise. They have made decisions, and given contracts based on past projections.

If the cap drops by 25 percent, so do player incomes, and they aren't going to like it either.

I envision some type of prorated cap, spreading the losses over a period of time. The league will address the problem in the offseason, during the owners meetings.
Mach2 - you are often correct and I always enjoy reading your comments. However, what you don't get is that the NFL has lost multiple $ billions from the massive decline in attendance revenue and the ancillary revenue streams of food, drink, parking, clothing sales, etc, while their costs associated with implementing the covid protocols, testing, etc have soared. This isn't just a little blip - it's a massive whack and with the pandemic still raging out of control, there is no guarantee that this is just for one season. The owners announced months ago that the shortfall in revenue would be addressed by reducing player costs (ie a reduction in the salary cap) and they announced that their decision would take effect for the 2021 season.
The owners are all billionaires but they are businessmen first and each one of their cash cows is currently bleeding and they know it. As businessmen they are definitely not just going to sit on their hands and say let's just trim it a little. I honestly expect that the salary cap will drop by $30M+ in 2021. Time will tell, but hoping for a little trimming is frankly fanciful. Businessmen faced with a business problem will not be driven by any compassion for the players. They will address the problem by slashing the salary cap.

Last edited:
Mach2 - you are often correct and I always enjoy reading your comments. However, what you don't get is that the NFL has lost multiple $ billions from the the massive decline in attendance revenue and the ancillary revenue streams of food, drink, parking, clothing sales, etc, while their costs associated with the covid protocols, testing, etc have probably soared. This isn't just a little blip - it's a massive hit and with the pandemic still raging out of control, there is no guarantee that this is just a one season hit. The owners announced months ago that the shortfall in revenue will be addressed by reducing player costs (ie a reduction in the salary cap) and they announced that their decision would take effect for the 2021 season.
The owners are all billionaires but they are businessmen first and each one of their cash cows is currently bleeding and they know it. As businessmen they are definitely not just going to sit on their hands and say let's just trim it a little. I honestly expect that the salary cap will drop by $30M+ in 2021. Time will tell, but hoping for a little trimming is frankly fanciful. Businessmen faced with a business problem will not be driven by compassion for the players. They will address the problem by slashing the salary cap.
I get all of that.

I also get that the league can not unilaterally do anything without agreement with the NFLPA.

I'm certainly not an expert in the subject. All I'm saying is the proposed floor is not a done deal.

Not at all...

The semantics of debate always amuses me. Dubbz used the word 'moral' as a straw man argument, putting those words in someone else's mouth... even though no one else had argued that this was a moral argument... and the discussion then followed this straw-man, agreeing with dubbz that this fictional argument was incorrect... thus muddying the waters and changing the argument that HAD been made.

As long as you don't chase a straw man... he collapses under his own weight.

Actually the argument itself was based on your terms.

I understand all the arguments on cap distribution. I also understand today's athletes are about branding and longevity. And those $ signs matter.

But hey, I only dislike contracts for failures. Those that succeed, deserve the ability w/o judgment on their worth.

I hope you have a good night.

Actually the argument itself was based on your terms.

I understand all the arguments on cap distribution. I also understand today's athletes are about branding and longevity. And those $ signs matter.

But hey, I only dislike contracts for failures. Those that succeed, deserve the ability w/o judgment on their worth.

I hope you have a good night.
Where you jumped the shark was in your use of the word, 'moral'. It had absolutely nothing to do with my position.

I had used the word 'greedy', and you responded by calling this a 'moral' argument.

Greed can be a moral problem, but it also can be an allocation issue, which is (and was) my point about a player who demands too much of his team's cap. In general, these Suh type players get rich, but don't play for a lot of winners. ...and if your goal is to get rich, but in so doing, reduce your chances of playing on winning teams, by all means... go for it. I won't call you immoral... just... not much of a team guy.

Miami is now back to being in position where nothing is counteracting against the positives of playing in this awesome city.
Who wouldnt want to be here? It's freakin MIAMI FLA!
No clownshoes coach or idiot FO. No 'bad blood'.
Just a team on the rise in the best location in the country.
We actually get to say 'NO' to good players cuz better ones are coming.
Aw Yeah!
No state income tax in Florida is another big plus.

Back
Top Bottom