The future of FA signings in Miami | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The future of FA signings in Miami

While it is true, that we 'sniffed' these guys, it is also true that we didn't make ridiculous offers to either.

I'm always willing to take a look... make a reasonable offer... and then fold.

One component of that is the player's agent. With frequency, an agent announces his client is expecting $20mm/yr when every sane fan is thinking $10-12mm. Just MHO, but I suspect it's either delusion or a bargaining position. Miami has, rightly, avoided those negotiations.
I still think Grier/Flo are done with the one-piece-away contracts that seemed to hook TBaum. I think we'll see more of the Ogbah/KVN type

One component of that is the player's agent. With frequency, an agent announces his client is expecting $20mm/yr when every sane fan is thinking $10-12mm. Just MHO, but I suspect it's either delusion or a bargaining position. Miami has, rightly, avoided those negotiations.
I still think Grier/Flo are done with the one-piece-away contracts that seemed to hook TBaum. I think we'll see more of the Ogbah/KVN type
The way they are operating now is intelligent, well thought out and, when it comes right down to it, common sense.

This is diametrically opposed to past regimes. I love it. It's sustainable.

KVN's contract was no different, but in that specific case, I'm sure his relationship with Flo, and a "shared vision" also played a big part of Kyle coming here.

I don't have a problem with them signing the one piece away contracts when they are truly one piece away. The problem with the Tannenbaum era was that this team was never that close and that kind of thinking was delusional. When the Seahawks and Rams did it and made it to the super bowl it was a little easier to justify the pain that came afterwards.

I hope Grier and Flores can inherit some of that disciplined approach from Belichick minus the callousness. I think there's a balance to be struck there and these internal extensions as a reward for hard work are a good start. We're entering a new era of player empowerment that has only begun to take root in the NFL and I don't think the cold hearted approach of viewing all players as assets is going to work out so well going forward.

It would be ideal for Flores and the Phins if guys like Elandon Roberts this offseason and Ogbah and Needham in the next get paid, even if its not from this team. Showing that Miami is a destination spot for free agents to go where the coaching staff will maximize your talent and land you a new contract is invaluable for the franchise going forward. That's what draws players like Ogbah who feel they may have been underutilized on another team or rookie free agents looking to prove they belong.

Like Mahomes is making right now?

I love when people bring moral arguments to a money discussion, always implementing their own beliefs onto others.

At least Brady's wings weren't only Victoria Secrets, his were also granted from the heavens for being such a moral good man.
Ots easy to have those "beliefs" with someone else's money, haha.

That's one way to look at it, but the team has already paid the signing bonus, and has no way to recoup it, should the player retire a day later.

The fact is, spreading that over the life of the contract is already to the teams advantage, as it's better than taking the hit in the first year.

Can't have it both ways. Otherwise, a team could just manipulate a huge signing, and miniscule salary to cheat the system.
Yea, the more I think about it the more it makes sense.

Please, no more Suh signing.
Actually i am glad we did not sign Clowney and L Bell

Last edited:
Anybody else think talented free agents around the league will be now lining up to be a part of this resurgence? Having been through something similar for many years in New England will undoubtably serve us well as we assemble the right pieces moving forward. Between playing for Coach Flo and with one of the youngest rosters in the NFL on the upswing, the future is so bright it makes me feel like 1983 all over again.
Plus no state income tax. Now it’s really on!

Well... that's one theory.

Another one might be to purchase an insurance policy vs. that possibility.... especially if you are talking about 10s of millions of dollars.

I think you are being quite short-sighted... but hey, it's only an opinion.
The team should purchase the insurance policy to mitigate its possible loss. That has nothing to do with how on-field performance should impact earnings.

You aren't making any sense to me and I'm losing interest in explaining my side.

Tua is not:
  1. Tom Brady
  2. Wealthy of healthy enough to give any type of discount (ask Byron Jones or Howard to take a discount).
You may or may not have these grandiose ideas of how to work the salary cap to build a "super team", but in my opinion, you fail to fully understand the definition of "professional", as it pertains to the player.

EasyRider, I couldn't agree more! Mario Williams was a slug that came he for money and laid down like a washed up boxer. We've had some awful FA like David Boston, Greg Jennings and the quick fisted Marc Columbo the original turnstile! What about the great Jake Grove?

EasyRider, I couldn't agree more! Mario Williams was a slug that came he for money and laid down like a washed up boxer. We've had some awful FA like David Boston, Greg Jennings and the quick fisted Marc Columbo the original turnstile! What about the great Jake Grove?

I'm not going to defend any abysmal FA. Most were just bad signings. I will point out though, the HC and scheme can hold back a good FA. Miami isn't the only team to have 'fails' in previously solid FAs.

I'm not going to defend any abysmal FA. Most were just bad signings. I will point out though, the HC and scheme can hold back a good FA. Miami isn't the only team to have 'fails' in previously solid FAs.
I agree that all teams make mistakes. The dolphins of the past, like many dysfunctional franchises, made many more than an acceptable amount.

When the HC and/or front office are either incompetent, or simply not on the "same page", it is a breeding ground for failure.

Fortunately, that seems to be one very important thing that we finally got right.

You are still going to swing and miss, such as with Howard, but most of our FAs are filling their roles at a reasonable cost. A big step for us.

The team should purchase the insurance policy to mitigate its possible loss. That has nothing to do with how on-field performance should impact earnings.

You aren't making any sense to me and I'm losing interest in explaining my side.

Tua is not:
  1. Tom Brady
  2. Wealthy of healthy enough to give any type of discount (ask Byron Jones or Howard to take a discount).
You may or may not have these grandiose ideas of how to work the salary cap to build a "super team", but in my opinion, you fail to fully understand the definition of "professional", as it pertains to the player.
Heh! K

We'll leave it at that.

The way they are operating now is intelligent, well thought out and, when it comes right down to it, common sense.

This is diametrically opposed to past regimes. I love it. It's sustainable.

KVN's contract was no different, but in that specific case, I'm sure his relationship with Flo, and a "shared vision" also played a big part of Kyle coming here.
Mister Grier gets lucky yet again!

>>> oh how I long for the daze of TBum!

I'll have some of that with a side of Ireland!

Back
Top Bottom