The Games People Play | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Games People Play

FinFan57

Practice Squad
Reaction score
You have to admire Saban. He has learned the game of Draft Day deception very quickly. Even though Ricky is absolutely not going to be a factor this year for the Dolphins, or any other NFL team, and we desperately need a quality RB, Saban has focused on Edwards and Smith as our top targets at the #2 spot. He has shifted everyone away from thinking Ronnie Brown or one of the top 3 RB's are in the Dolphin's crosshairs. Why Edwards and Smith?

Although both players would probably be good picks for us, clearly Saban wants to acquire more draft picks and shining the spotlight on Edwards and Smith is exactly what it took to bring Tampa and Minnesota out of the dark closet and into the trading discussions we are hearing about now. I personally think that Saban isn't interested in any player at the #2 spot, he just wants extra picks and he will do whatever it takes to acquire more of them.

The only problem is that Mike Nolan, Head Coach of the 49'ers, picked up on the charade and is now getting in the game also. He has backed off on Aaron Rodgers, who I think is still his first choice, just to cut off Saban and draw attention from the Bucs and Vikes. Give Nolan credit....it's working.

This is a great chess match to watch. It will go down to Saturday afternoon at about 12:15, before we know who had the best strategy. I like Saban's chances. I think people know that SF is starving for a QB and that Nolan is bluffing. Saban, on the other hand, has played his cards well and is holding the best hand right now.

Good post. Made me think that Ricky really could have just been a smokescreen, the least Ricky could do for us.

I can't freakin' wait until Saturday though!!

FinFan57 said:
You have to admire Saban. He has learned the game of Draft Day deception very quickly. Even though Ricky is absolutely not going to be a factor this year for the Dolphins, or any other NFL team, and we desperately need a quality RB, Saban has focused on Edwards and Smith as our top targets at the #2 spot. He has shifted everyone away from thinking Ronnie Brown or one of the top 3 RB's are in the Dolphin's crosshairs. Why Edwards and Smith?

Although both players would probably be good picks for us, clearly Saban wants to acquire more draft picks and shining the spotlight on Edwards and Smith is exactly what it took to bring Tampa and Minnesota out of the dark closet and into the trading discussions we are hearing about now. I personally think that Saban isn't interested in any player at the #2 spot, he just wants extra picks and he will do whatever it takes to acquire more of them.

The only problem is that Mike Nolan, Head Coach of the 49'ers, picked up on the charade and is now getting in the game also. He has backed off on Aaron Rodgers, who I think is still his first choice, just to cut off Saban and draw attention from the Bucs and Vikes. Give Nolan credit....it's working.

This is a great chess match to watch. It will go down to Saturday afternoon at about 12:15, before we know who had the best strategy. I like Saban's chances. I think people know that SF is starving for a QB and that Nolan is bluffing. Saban, on the other hand, has played his cards well and is holding the best hand right now.

i think the team with the best pick and the most needs holds the best hand. however it's the way you play your cards that makes all the difference.

Nolan is only bluffing about the WR part...he'll still take a QB. He saw Saban getting trade-down talks for the #2 due to Smith and that's what he figured he could use to his advantage. Kind of the way SD drafted Eli on purpose although they wanted Rivers....just to say "this is the guy you want?....I have him...you want him it's going to cost you....." Kind of like a kid who doesn't really know what he wants so he takes what someone elses wants and basically blackmails the person into giving up alot to get it.

Perfect quote.......exactly what I was talking about. He doesn't necessarily want Smith or Braylong....he just wants to be in control of what the "value" of his #1 pick is so he is going to try to scare everyone he is going to take whatever person any other team wants and make them cough up all the picks to get the #1 spot to get their man.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/content/sports/epaper/2005/04/19/a3c_fins_0419.html

"It's important that we keep all of our options open," 49ers coach Mike Nolan told NFL Network. "It does maintain a position of power and value with the pick. And as long as we can maintain that until the end, we can make the most of the selection. Once we have said who it's going to be, then it goes to Miami's power of selection. And we don't owe Miami anything. So I don't care to give them anything."

saban learned the chess match a long while back. While with Cleveland in the mid-90s working with BB, BB trusted him more than anyone to do scouting work and to help him formulate a plan for the draft. And while in college it was Saban who BB confided in and asked his opinion because he respected it as any. The fact that Saban is doing what hes doing comes as no surprise if youre familar with his work. That said I agree with the original post and I think we have a real gem as head coach. By draft time next year I think we'll be talking about a MUCH improved team.

Back
Top Bottom