The Good Old Days Of Marino To Moore | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Good Old Days Of Marino To Moore

I don’t remember that. I seem to recall their running sweeps all day long and we couldn’t run them down.

It was actually 6 turnovers.....5 fumbles losing 4 of them and 2 interceptions.

Not gonna win too many games turning the ball over that many times.

The total yards were pretty close... but New England ran the ball and controlled the clock... getting 6 turnovers helps that immensely... funny thing Is Miami averaged more per carry running than they did.

Without the fumbles I think Miami prevails...Marino was less than on as well!

Last edited:

The total yards were pretty close... but New England ran the ball and controlled the clock... getting 6 turnovers helps that immensely... funny thing Is Miami averaged more per carry running than they did.
Well considering they only ran the ball for 69 yards on 13 carries, that stat is pretty meaningless.

NE dominated Miami that day. And it would take years before the defense was even back to average. That’s why Marino in 1986 is a first team All Pro who leads the league in passing and TDs and the team can’t even get to 9 wins.

Well considering they only ran the ball for 69 yards on 13 carries, that stat is pretty meaningless.

NE dominated Miami that day. And it would take years before the defense was even back to average. That’s why Marino in 1986 is a first team All Pro who leads the league in passing and TDs and the team can’t even get to 9 wins.

Not really....and you name me another team winning turning the ball over 6 times?

I remember that game very well.

Whether they turned over the ball or not, the Patriots shredded their defense. Would they have won had they not turned the ball over? Who knows? They may also won had they not let NE run all over them, or if Marino had had a better day. But that wasn’t what happened.

What happened was a preview of the next several years where the defense was as bad as possible and even having Marino is his prime just guaranteed an 8-8 finish.

Yeah we had no answer for Tony Collins and Craig James attacking the edges w our hideously slow LB Corp.
I remember the Pats had a third and 8 at pivotable part of the game, and damn if they didn't run it for the first down.
I knew it was over then.

Without the fumbles I think Miami prevails...Marino was less than on as well!
IIR it was a rain slogged field too. And no, can’t win w 6 turnovers. 262 rushing yards against is disgusting too. Crazy thing is, the week prior when Marino led that sick 3 TD, 4th quarter comeback down 20-3 vs Cleveland, they had two backs over 100 (Bryner and Mack) and another (Curtis Dicky) w 65 or so - they must have hit near 300 on the ground and we stole that game due to Marino 4th quarter heroics. The Pats game played out the same way w the run defense sucking beyond belief but there would be no heroics that day - I suppose due to all the fumbles. I hated watching our defense those years. Got gashed by runners in sickening fashion.

44 TD passes and we don’t make the playoffs That’s on the D 100%. Our entire offense hasn’t scored 44 total TDs in forever in today’s offense - friendly NFL.

I remember the Pats had a third and 8 at pivotable part of the game, and damn if they didn't run it for the first down.
I knew it was over then.
Those were the days of mastermind John Olividotti and our “read and react” (too slow) defenses.

Those were the days of mastermind John Olividotti and our “read and react” (too slow) defenses.
Shula shouldn’t escape blame either. He was the man in charge. The second half of the 80s were the worst years of his career by far.

When I was a kid, I thought this was normal … only now do I realize how lucky I was to witness Dan Marino. If only we could find another top notch QB … not asking for another Marino, I realize that's not possible … just someone good like Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady or Peyton Manning.

Actually, it was Chuck Studley. Tom Olivadotti didn't arrive until 1987. Then things really hit the fan for a couple of seasons before we became a good but not great defense for a couple of seasons.

Actually, it was Chuck Studley. Tom Olivadotti didn't arrive until 1987. Then things really hit the fan for a couple of seasons before we became a good but not great defense for a couple of seasons.
The early 90s defenses were the Purple People Eaters compared to the defenses of 86-89. Of course, by then Marino, and especially his pass catchers, were several years older and the offense wasn’t as potent as it was during the wasted years. And no running game to be found— ever.

Lots of bad team building and coaching in the Dolphins’ post- Super Bowl era.

As much as I loved Shula, he had some horrible drafts in the mid to late 80's and into the 90's too. Not going to look it up now cause I've done it in the past but there was a spam of 8 years where we got nothing from our first round picks.

I'll do it anyway
84-Shipp
85-Hampton
86-None
87-Bosa
88-Kumerow
89-Sammie Smith

you noticed Bosa & kUMEROW back to back........they're both related to Tony Accardo.....was Shula muscled into drafting them?....lol

Back
Top Bottom