The Good Old Days Of Marino To Moore | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Good Old Days Of Marino To Moore

Chicago had no answer to Nat Moore. Always will wonder if Miami could have beaten the Bears in the Super Bowl. I really think the Dolphins style matched up well against the Bears and Chicago would have had to come up with an entirely different game plan.

Nat Moore’s career was basically done in 1982 when he caught just 9 balls all year from Woodley. Then Marino comes along and Moore has an unbelievable resurgence and becomes the best 3rd down player for us for another 3-4 seasons. I think he got about 40% of his career receptions playing w Marino and he was already an accomplished All Pro WR in the 70’s. Loved Nat Moore. One of my favorite Dolphins of all time. As for the Bears that night - match up nightmare that I believe would have played out the same way in the SB. Marino just got rid of it too quick for their pass rush. Want to run Walter Payton a lot? Ok, all that’s going to do is keep it a low scoring game. Miami didn’t lose those games - they stole them back then even when they had no business. A good parallel for you younger guys would be the way we lost to Peyton Manning and the Colts in that primetime game where we controlled the clock for 46-47 minutes but still lost 17-14. We did things similar to that to people in the mid 80’s.

Y
Chicago had no answer to Nat Moore. Always will wonder if Miami could have beaten the Bears in the Super Bowl. I really think the Dolphins style matched up well against the Bears and Chicago would have had to come up with an entirely different game plan.
Yes.... I think they would have beaten the Bears the next time around.
I don't believe Moore would have been used as in the first game, but rather we would have had to get TEs a little more involved. Nevertheless, the Fins had the formula to beat that defense, and NO ONE else did that year.

Y

Yes.... I think they would have beaten the Bears the next time around.
I don't believe Moore would have been used as in the first game, but rather we would have had to get TEs a little more involved. Nevertheless, the Fins had the formula to beat that defense, and NO ONE else did that year.
Maybe. What is clear, however, is that the Patriots had the formula to beat the Dolphins that year since they won 2 out of 3, culminating in beating the Dolphins at home in the championship game (shades of things to come as the 1992 Bills also took 2 of 3 from the Dolphins, including the AFC championship game in Miami).

Maybe. What is clear, however, is that the Patriots had the formula to beat the Dolphins that year since they won 2 out of 3, culminating in beating the Dolphins at home in the championship game (shades of things to come as the 1992 Bills also took 2 of 3 from the Dolphins, including the AFC championship game in Miami).
Yeah we had no answer for Tony Collins and Craig James attacking the edges w our hideously slow LB Corp.

It sucks we didn’t get that chance....5 or 6 fumbles in the orange bowl in the AFC championship game...against of all teams a Patriot team we should have crushed in the orange bowl...probably the most disappointing game in Dolphin history for me...right up there with the “sea of hands “ game that ended our dynasty .

You know we were in Chicago’s head!

Am I asking for too much? I don't want for someone to be the next Dan Marino, because that will never happen, but give me 60% and that should be more than enough.:biggrin

Last edited:
It sucks we didn’t get that chance....5 or 6 fumbles in the orange bowl in the AFC championship game...against of all teams a Patriot team we should have crushed in the orange bowl...probably the most disappointing game in Dolphin history for me...right up there with the “sea of hands “ game that ended our dynasty .

You know we were in Chicago’s head!
It was the fumbles.....
I don’t remember that. I seem to recall their running sweeps all day long and we couldn’t run them down.

Obviously the fumbles didn’t help, but the defense was destroyed that game which was a foreshadowing of the way it would completely fall apart in 1986 and for several years afterwards.

The Patriots had 262 yards rushing that day at over 4.5 yards per carry.

Back
Top Bottom