The Good thing about jason allen starting..... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Good thing about jason allen starting.....

Still think Sean will be a CB for the Phins long term. Jason Allen has defied the message boards, that's fo sure.

While it would seem Smith has every chance and ability to start, I've had my doubts about him since about mid-season last year. I still think his overall lack of athletecism and limited defensive experience hurt him. For his size he moves very well, but still not as good as he needs to in today's NFL with the 5-yard contact limit and every-increasing speed of offensive players. IMO Smith is just too raw to truly make an impact yet. I could be wrong and I HOPE Smith does indeed prove me wrong, but I feel like his days in Miami might be numbered. I have no proof of this, just a hunch much in the same way that I predicted it would be Davis who would prove to be the better playmaking corner between the two of them (which technically hasn't happened due to Davis' inconsistencies, but he's shown me more flashes of being a 'shutdown' corner than Smith has).

I actually don't believe that Jason Allen is 'only' starting because Sean Smith is stinking up the joint that bad...no, I believe that Sean Smith has been playing so so..according to Sparano's own admission (as he's praised him for progressing...) but I believe that since the beginning of OTAs the coaching staff have noticed Jason Allen's impressive improvement and began to judge Smith's play on Allen's play.

I remember in an interview them talking about how Jason Allen looks more sure out there then previous years...Allen mentions how he finally doesn't feel like he has to think, but that it is coming as second nature to him, especially with Nolan's new defense being more fit for his style...and that he actually feels like the vet out there and is being a leader because of it...and this has impressed the coaching staff.

Last season Sean Smith didn't play all that better than he has in the preseason...I believe its just that they are judging his play on Jason Allen's improved play....JMO

And I don't believe we lose anything with Jason Allen, as he is also provides the tall and fast CB opposite Davis as Smith would...if anything, its better as he is more of a vet out there with Davis than it would be having 'two' second year guys...

Good post MrEd :) You summed up my feelings on Allen very well. I really hope the proverbial lightbulb has finally come on for him and he shows the promise he had in college when he was selected in the 1st round. Some players just take longer to come into their own, and hopefully this is the year Allen finally makes the next step.

It's not just that JA gets the start.... The staff must also feel pretty good about replacing JA's productivity on ST's.... At this point moves like this have nothing to do with motivation.... it's all about best chance to win today. There are so many packages in the NFL right now... opportunities abound for DB's.... this move is not over.
I think motivating Smith is a factor here too. But I also agree that this ove is in the best interest of the team. Any coach will tell you that when a player takes things for granted, doesn't practice hard, and just has an all around bad attitude, they will replace him with someone who wants to be out there. Always better than someone who isn't giving 100%

also in JA's defense, he has been switched from safety to CB and back like six times, all while learning a new scheme every season. Who knows maybe the guy is coming along.

Maybe Allen finally became the right piece to the right puzzle... who knows, the light upstairs might be burning bright for once. We will see come Sunday.

Hasn't the knock on Jason Allen always been that although he had all the physical ability, he was making mental mistakes? If so, then maybe he's finally done some learning and things have slowed down for him

Hasn't the knock on Jason Allen always been that although he had all the physical ability, he was making mental mistakes? If so, then maybe he's finally done some learning and things have slowed down for him

The word is that Allen finally feels comfortable just reacting rather than having to think every little move through. This is one of the biggest signs things have slowed down for him. Hopefully it translates onto gameday :)

IF the "light" has gone on for J ALLEN, then there's going to be a lot of surprised, frustrated and acheing WRs all over the NFL. The question has NEVER been his talent, physicality or size. It's been the mental mistakes, and not having ONE position to concentrate on from Day One. Everyone has been saying how much better he has looked. Well, we'll soon find out. If so, the Defensive backfield just got a lot stronger.

For all we know maybe the light has come on. Do I think so? No. It seems like there are two things I think he does clearly better Smith though. Keeping things in front of him, and minimizing yards after the catch. That doesn't mean he isn't going to get picked on if he countinues to play against the better passing teams (Vikings, Patriots, Packers). But those two things I mentioned above do play to the strenghts of a Mike Nolan defense. And quite frankly, I just can't say I have seen Smith make one play in the preseason that was promising as far as coverage goes. Getting extremely worried about the number two corner any way you look at it.

I share your concern, but it is clear that Smith is not disciplined. Further, I would prefer to have Allen blitzing from the corner. He hits like a strong safety, and I know we are going to be blizing a lot!!!

Has there been an official announcement or is this still based on a twitter post?

i see this more as a 'let's see what smith is really made of' move as well. j allen was forced to be a corner here b/c he's too stupid to man his natural position of FS. people are a little more harsh than they should be with him - it's not his fault saban used a 1st rounder on him - and he's really good on ST - and i thought he was a serviceable safety - but none of that changes the fact that him starting is not good. he'll get used and abused starting at corner on this team. the brass may want to see if this causes smith - who was handed that starting job - to stop being such a mental defective and man the fugg up. i'm sick of hearing about him dragging his feet, hanging his head, and having lost all his confidence.

you can't play football w/o confidence on any level sean. get your head out of your *** and play like i know you can. big boy time, son.

Has there been an official announcement or is this still based on a twitter post?

Sparano's press conference..."Jason allen has tackled well ... Confirms sun sentinel report that allen will start in place of smith"

Watching the youtube highlight that ck made and the one of him against Randy Moss in 2008. For the most part it confirms what I said earlier. The two things he does better than Smith are keeping things in front of him, and tackling after the catch. Not saying he is good, just saying his strenghts appear to suit Mike Nolan's style of defense better. Although conceding a 6 yard out nearly everytime like he seems to do is gonna hurt us against some of the better passers we are going up against.

It's taken J Allen until the end of preseason for the "light to come on" ... after he's been in the league for 4 years??? :confused: Yeah, right.

I think you are putting lipstick on a very ugly pig here. J Allen is only starting because S Smith has been so bad.

Back
Top Bottom