The Great Debate- Draft an OL or a RB | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Great Debate- Draft an OL or a RB

Marino1983

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
I know that this has been discussed since the playoffs,and on various draftniks web pages,, but what is really needed for the the Dolphins to get to the S-B? Do the Phins draft an O-Lineman or a R-Back ? Or does this hinge on who we can trade or who Miami can sign off free agency? With the addition of Turner as the O-C the offense is most assuredly going to take on his personality, which means the conservative gameplanning that haunted Miami last season will drastically change to a multiple formation, run the ball, pass on first down, and attack the opponents defensive scheme ( not the Gailey - take what the defense give you game plan). With Norvs title being Assistant Head Coach, will that mean he will have more control over the offense (than just the x's & o's) with player decisions , freeagent picks and draft picks?? IMOP , Miami needs to concentrate more so on the O line than at any other position !!!! Marino1983:eat: :cool:

particularly if you look at the Spriggs signing and how that affected our draft last year, this does "hinge on who we can trade or who Miami can sign off free agency?". Especially since we are talking about trading for a RW.

Originally posted by inFINSible
I have a question for you folks......What if Harrington continues to fall and suddenly he is sitting there at #25, Do you take him?(assuming the rest of the draft stays the same)

Good question, but, lets spice it up a bit. McKinnie and Harrington fall to us-----then what?

BB

I would take McKinnie at 3, let alone 25. I wouldn't take Harrington, we already have Cade.:):)

Has Mckinnie failed a drug test or something? How could he drop to #25? Just a few weeks ago TSN had him going #1 overall.

Originally posted by booyeah_
Has Mckinnie failed a drug test or something? How could he drop to #25? Just a few weeks ago TSN had him going #1 overall.

:lol: He didn't. We were saying what would we do if he did.

The Dolphins would be fools to not take Joey Harrington if he fell to him. He's got the complete package, which is one reason there is no chance in hell that he will fall that far. He's got the height, arm strength, drop back ability, pocket awareness, and instincts that every QB needs to have. He's a tremendous leader on the field as well.

Do the phins draft an offensive lineman or a running back? Depends on which would make the most impact. I personally feel a good RB would make the most impact, but I'm not sold on many of the RB prospects in this draft. I have Duckett projected to the Dolphins on my website, but I'm not at all sold on him.

I'd lean more towards offensive linemen. This is the best crop of offensive guard talent I've seen in my time doing the draft. There are legitimately 5 offensive guards that can come in and start right away in this draft. You've got Andre Gurode who is a complete beast inside and can play both center and guard. You've got Kendall Simmons, who has shown the ability to play left tackle as well as guard and is a very powerful, low built blocker. He's extremely quick off the snap as well. Terrence Metcalf is similar to Simmons, though I don't think he is near the pass blocker Simmons is. Toniu Fonoti is overrated, but he is a devestating run blocker with freakish strength. His problem will be that he can't pass block a lick and struggles getting down the field to make blocks. Fred Weary is another powerful blocker who should be starting early in his career, and he can play center as well.

I'd take either Gurode or Simmons with that pick, but I do believe the Dolphins will go with a RB. Either TJ Duckett or DeShaun Foster.

I wouldn't spend a first round pick on a guard who is a one dimensional run blocker. You can get those in the 4th and 5th rounds. Give me a complete lineman.

I really don't see where Fonoti is any different from the Wiegarts and Zatechkas that have come from Nebraska. He's probably as good of a run blocker as Will Shields, but Shields was much better at getting down the field to make blocks.

Originally posted by KB21
The Dolphins would be fools to not take Joey Harrington if he fell to him. He's got the complete package, which is one reason there is no chance in hell that he will fall that far. He's got the height, arm strength, drop back ability, pocket awareness, and instincts that every QB needs to have. He's a tremendous leader on the field as well.

but I do believe the Dolphins will go with a RB. Either TJ Duckett or DeShaun Foster.

Well now, we finally agree on something. Ofcourse I would not use the word "fool" as it is often misunderstood. And to make it official Im VERY high on Foster.
Hell ya, I'd take Harrington in 1/1000000th of a heart beat.:D

BB

I like Foster more than I like Duckett, but Foster's fumblitis could be a problem.

Actually, I've been back and forth between Duckett and Foster as my projected pick for the Dolphins. I think Foster fits Norv's system better, but his fumble problems may make Miami go in a different direction. I have heard that Miami has Foster high on their draft board. The guy would be a top 15 lock had he played the entire season without getting suspended. He had almost 1,200 yards in only 6 games, averaged about 5.4 yards per pop, and he's got one of the best stiff arms since Walter Payton. He carries the ball like a loaf of bread though.

Originally posted by KB21
1,200 yards in only 6 games, averaged about 5.4 yards per pop, and he's got one of the best stiff arms since Walter Payton. He carries the ball like a loaf of bread though. [/B]

All true, but thats why there are college coaches and pro coaches. They will solve the fumble problem. I guy like Foster was trying so hard to impress that he often left the football where he should'nt. Now lets get Harrington AND Foster on the Dolphins;)

BB

Back
Top Bottom