The importance of leg day... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The importance of leg day...

I also think Chase wouldn't get manhandled by DBs like Smith would at the NFL level.
Historically, it's tougher for the physical WRs to adapt to NFL than it is for the quick WRs. And BTW a ton of college DBs tried to be physical with Smith at the line and then abandoned the strategy when he kept getting by them. The oft-repeated worry that Smith will get "man-handled" by DBs is based on nothing more than his weight and completely debunked by the film.

Historically, it's tougher for the physical WRs to adapt to NFL than it is for the quick WRs. And BTW a ton of college DBs tried to be physical with Smith at the line and then abandoned the strategy when he kept getting by them. The oft-repeated worry that Smith will get "man-handled" by DBs is based on nothing more than his weight and completely debunked by the film.
Historically? How so? Chase has the measurables of OBJ with strength like Boldin. I think guys like Dez Bryant, Boldin, Owens, etc... have done fine in the NFL.

Is there a study to back this up? Seems to me the only skinny WR that Smith gets compared to is Marvin Harrison. Is that because there are not that many 6’ 165 lb. that adapt to the NFL?

The kid might be special but let’s not act like Chase isn’t a lot more prototypical than Smith.

It certainly is not 'completely debunked' by the film, not until he manages to do the same things against veteran CBs and Safeties in the NFL....

It certainly is not 'completely debunked' by the film, not until he manages to do the same things against veteran CBs and Safeties in the NFL....
Then that applies to every prospect, including Chase.

Then that applies to every prospect, including Chase.
It does not apply to the same degre. For example. if a WR can bench 220 @ 20 reps, he's going to be stronger and more effective in a physical matchup with a CB than a WR who can only bench 180 @ 10 reps. Strength matters.

It doesnt take a physical exam to see that Chase has a much stronger looking physique than Smith...

It does not apply to the same degre. For example. if a WR can bench 220 @ 20 reps, he's going to be stronger and more effective in a physical matchup with a CB than a WR who can only bench 180 @ 10 reps. Strength matters.

It doesnt take a physical exam to see that Chase has a much stronger looking physique than Smith...
Not more effective. You're looking at what you think should happen and not what actually does happen. The guys who struggle in the transition to the pros against press are the guys who relied on strength in college. The guys who relied on quickness and technique in college have easier transitions against press. I'm not arguing "why". There are many theories. I'm telling you that that's what does happen.

Not more effective. You're looking at what you think should happen and not what actually does happen. The guys who struggle in the transition to the pros against press are the guys who relied on strength in college. The guys who relied on quickness and technique in college have easier transitions against press. I'm not arguing "why". There are many theories. I'm telling you that that's what does happen.
With all due respect, I don't buy into your theory and don't believe that is what happens.

To me, it comes down to production. That can come in different shapes and sizes.

But I think it's a good conversion. Chase and Smith both have different strengths and weaknesses.

I think both can be very success in the NFL.

Looking at that picture a couple of things stick out. As skinny as Smith is I cannot believe how thin Jefferson's legs are and the size of Smiths hands, damn look at those fingers. I still like Chase better but Smith fans have a case after seeing Jefferson.

Something is not right, Jefferson is listed at 200 lbs. and Smith at 175. Looking at that picture Smith looks like the 200 lb. guy not Jefferson.

First time I ever witness someone trying to make a case that bench press reps are more important than speed and technique for WRs... Amazing!

Back
Top Bottom