The In Support Of Tua (Only) Thread | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The In Support Of Tua (Only) Thread

As an Alabama football hater, I didn't watch much of Tua until I started scouting him as a potential Miami pick. What surprised me most was how aggressive he was as a passer. When I watch film on a QB, I naturally think where I think he should be looking, going based on my guess on the play design. Tua went with the deeper even when he had a safe throw underneath more often than any QB I've ever scouted. Now this was Alabama so he often had multiple guys open so there really wasn't a bad choice, but his instinct was so consistently to go deep, to go for the throat. He was literally the most aggressive college QB prospect I have ever scouted.

So when media and fans latched on to his low YPA stat last year and claimed he was only a guy who dinked and dunked, it was a clear example of people who scout a stat sheet rather than film or the player. That was obviously the design of Gailey's offense and what he was told to do. His natural instincts are to look deep first. Obviously as a young player his decision-making, grasp of the offense and understanding of NFL defenses will take time to develop. I am excited to see what Tua becomes in say, year 5 in the NFL. I think at that point he could very well be Brady-like. But in the interim I still expect that he will be among the best and most consistent deep passers in the league. There will be game plans and defenses that dictate a more conservative approach at times, but on balance this will be an aggressive offense.

i watched that play several times, don't get me wrong, I love Waddle, but had Waddle come back to that ball the same way MCourty tried to, that might have been a completion. I think Tua tried to put it where the first defender could not get it, but Waddle could. When Waddle makes no play on it,McCourty has a chance
Sounds fair. That kind of stuff has to grow with time too. Waddle’s first game, Tua still essentially in his first season, they’ll watch tape and talk about it of course. Going to be fun watching them grow together.

NE played press (as you can see in the tweet above this post), that resulted in guys being more covered overall. Tua was throwing to NFL-open guys, not Bama-open (another complaint about Tua’s game that has improved).

Our D playing off the ball, coupled with the Pats scheming an easy short target, made Mac look like a surgeon. I’m very confident, given the same scheming, our guys would’ve done just as well if not better. Tua was making the plays (the 5 drops included), Mac was taking what was short and Bama-open, mostly.
Let's also keep in mind that Bellycheat and Jones might have gotten our playbook, or at least scheme from one of the Fins they picked up; while Tua was operating in the dark.

I’m having flashbacks to the 7 years of Tannehill w this board. Had Finheaven existed in 1983 would there have been pro and anti Marino camps?

I don’t want to go through this again but alas it’s inevitable.

Tua - last year did not look like an NFL QB to me - as in NFL ready. Against the Pats he had moments. When he had time he was really good. He made some aggressive plays downfield and Mac Jones didn’t. That was a factor in the game. For me, the best play he made all day was his slant to Parker on 1st and 14 for 13 yards from his own 4 yard line w 3+ min to go. That’s really hard and was simply CLUTCH.

That type of play builds confidence - the guy wins games. As he polishes up more he will only get better.

My only criticism in his entire game yesterday were those 2 horrific throws (1 almost picked and the other picked) where for a moment I thought it was Fitz back there. Can’t do that stuff.

Overall - happy w how he played.

Almost all of his completions Sunday were dead accurate, many allowed for YAC. Those 2 TD drives were absolutely gorgeous…the kind of drives we haven’t seen from this team in a long while (so many so easily forget). Of course the defense adjusted…it’s NE…thats going to happen.

Even his incompletions were mostly good. 5 drops, 4 bad throws (1 of which was also a bad decision…the ball McCourty got hands on), 1 good throwaway and 1 unknown (could fall into either category, the tipped pass that cancelled the PI). Even with jailbreak pressure at times, he was keeping his eyes downfield while evading, I specifically watched for it and saw it.

All-in-all, very good day, even though some of the route concepts were confusing and didn’t fully stress the coverage.

Lastly, I’m very mystified as to why so many fans say his arm strength hasn’t improved over last season. It was glaringly better IMO. The only pass I thought velocity hurt us on was the endzone pass to Wilson that got there a hair short. Whether that was velocity or him getting the throw off a little late, it’s something that should be corrected. Said it 1000 times, he needs game experience and repetition, and he’ll shine…I believe he’s simply wired that way.

The coaches emphasized aggression during camp…it shows.

the pass to Wilson was dead on it was just a fantastic play by the defender.

It was a little under thrown but the mistake made was by Wilson - he didn’t come back and try to high point the ball. Had he done that he could have caught it or drawn a PI. WRs do that all of the time. Wilson wasn’t good on Sunday. Tua was good.

It was a little under thrown but the mistake made was by Wilson - he didn’t come back and try to high point the ball. Had he done that he could have caught it or drawn a PI. WRs do that all of the time. Wilson wasn’t good on Sunday. Tua was good.

I agree with this. Wilson made no effort for it, but then again he is a little rusty.

Disagree…watched it several times full-speed and slow-motion. That ball gets there .2 seconds sooner, paydirt. Was a great play by the defender, my point is he was only able to make it because of the timing of the pass. It is nit-picking to a point, sure. Wilson had to slow up a bit too.

We’ve seen NFL receivers and tight-ends adjust to that pass and make a brilliant catch over the DB, but that’s a very tough ask for Wilson. DVP, Gesicki, Williams, possibly.

Im still very happy with his decision to be agressive and pull the trigger there. Keep at it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom