the indicator | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

the indicator

IronChef

Club Member
Reaction score
The true indicator as to what saban has planned will be unveiled on draft day... If he doesn't draft a running back then you can bet your bottom dollar that #34 will be in our backfield this year... My gut feeling is that saban is going to draft Braylon..... Just think about it.... Ricky, Chambers,braylon, mcmichael,and booker as the 3rd.. Now I don't care who you are.... That would make any DC lose sleep.....

I think there is zero chance Miami goes through the draft without taking a RB, and they will almost definitely take one on the first day whether Ricky is here or not. Even if Ricky is coming back he won't be back to normal right away and will probably be suspended for a few games. We also have no clue if he will ever be the same because if he does come back his head could be out of it, and you never know when he could quit again. You have to have a contigency plan and I think Saban knows that.

sports24/7 said:
I think there is zero chance Miami goes through the draft without taking a RB, and they will almost definitely take one on the first day whether Ricky is here or not. Even if Ricky is coming back he won't be back to normal right away and will probably be suspended for a few games. We also have no clue if he will ever be the same because if he does come back his head could be out of it, and you never know when he could quit again. You have to have a contigency plan and I think Saban knows that.
Absolutely, well said.

sports24/7 said:

I'm pretty sure Saban will draft a RB in either 3rd round or 2nd round if we get one. It's common sense and valuable insurance. To me, I think Saban likes Alex Smith and he's not bad of a pickup. He's not a Ryan Leaf or Tim Couch at least judging by his off field behavior and on field leadership. The last two first round QB's we drafted were Marino and Bob Griese (I was hoping Miami would've drafted Brian Griesea while back as backup for Marino and possible successor with proper grooming). Hopefully the trend can continue and Smith can even wait a year or two before starting to get proper experience and learning.

I don't know what kind of RB we'd get in the 3rd round that we don't already have in Gordon and Minor. We just traded a 3rd rounder for Gordon last year and he was supposed to be a pretty good back...and then he got hurt.

Who in the 3rd round would provide an upgrade over either of these 2....? Why waste a 3rd pick on a RB if it's not considered an upgrade?

We'll either draft a RB in the 1st or not at all IMHO. There's no point otherwise. Personally....I don't think we're getting on at all in the draft this year....but that's just my gut feeling which has been wrong before.

I'd look for Cedrick Houston on day 2. I remember him torching the 'canes defense two seasons ago on a long run.

jbond said:
I don't know what kind of RB we'd get in the 3rd round that we don't already have in Gordon and Minor. We just traded a 3rd rounder for Gordon last year and he was supposed to be a pretty good back...and then he got hurt.

Who in the 3rd round would provide an upgrade over either of these 2....? Why waste a 3rd pick on a RB if it's not considered an upgrade?

We'll either draft a RB in the 1st or not at all IMHO. There's no point otherwise. Personally....I don't think we're getting on at all in the draft this year....but that's just my gut feeling which has been wrong before.

There are plenty of RBs like Fason and Morency that will probably slip there.

jbond said:

There are some guys that will be around in the third that have way more potential than Gordon and Minor. This draft is absolutely loaded at RB and most teams don't need one which means they will slip. It is not out of the realm of possibility to draft a RB in as low as the 4th round that is capable of starting for the Dolphins. But even if you are getting someone with equal ability as Gordon (I don't think Minor is anything special) you can get a back to compliment him like the Vikings do. You could find more of a scat-back type to use as a nice combo with Gordon like maybe a Sprowles. There are also a few guys with big potential, but question marks about durability like Gore and McLendon that will be around in the third.

sports24/7 said:
There are some guys that will be around in the third that have way more potential than Gordon and Minor. This draft is absolutely loaded at RB and most teams don't need one which means they will slip. It is not out of the realm of possibility to draft a RB in as low as the 4th round that is capable of starting for the Dolphins. But even if you are getting someone with equal ability as Gordon (I don't think Minor is anything special) you can get a back to compliment him like the Vikings do. You could find more of a scat-back type to use as a nice combo with Gordon like maybe a Sprowles. There are also a few guys with big potential, but question marks about durability like Gore and McLendon that will be around in the third.

Wait till the 4th/5th for those guys...

IronChef said:
The true indicator as to what saban has planned will be unveiled on draft day... If he doesn't draft a running back then you can bet your bottom dollar that #34 will be in our backfield this year... My gut feeling is that saban is going to draft Braylon..... Just think about it.... Ricky, Chambers,braylon, mcmichael,and booker as the 3rd.. Now I don't care who you are.... That would make any DC lose sleep.....
I don't think Ricky will have any influence on this draft at all. He is too much of a ?

If Ronnie is there and Saban likes him, then he is ours.

As for Braylon, I can appreciate his talent, but I have my concerns. He drops stupid passes and that kind of inconsistency will kill him in the pros. I wouldn't be gutted if we drafted him, but wouldn't be doing cartwheels. IMO Mike Williams is a better option for us if we decided to draft a WR.

Jaj said:
Wait till the 4th/5th for those guys...
Right, I wasn't saying I would take them in the 3rd, but rather that there was still talent after the first two rounds.

jbond said:

Arrington is better...alot better.

If you take Saban at his word....he hasn't talked to Ricky and Ricky isn't in the country...so I wouldn't be counting on him for anything.

just as a comparison

8th rank back on nfldraftcountdown.com

Height: 5-87/8
Weight: 214
40-Yard: 4.45

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2005/arrington_jj

ANALYSIS
Positives: Has a compact, but muscular frame with good upper body thickness, good bubble, thick thighs and wide hips … Has a good initial burst, above-average stop-and-go action and change-of-direction agility … Has the vision to recognize coverage and very good acceleration off the perimeter … Anticipates running lanes well, quickly seeing the creases and defenders to instinctively burst and elude … Slides and hits the seams with urgency and quickness … Has good balance and despite his size, can jump cut and power through the small crease … Shows good patience waiting for blocks to develop on outside runs … Has enough leg strength to burst through arm tackles and the second gear needed to separate when in the open … Usually more than a one-miss type and he can quickly accelerate after stopping and shows good hip swerve and juke ability … Carries the ball in either arm and has improved his ball security in 2004 … Not used much in a variety of roles in the passing game, but is adequate on flares and screens.

Negatives: A little indecisive at times when he attacks the inside holes … Has had ball security issues in the past, but made steady improvement there in 2004 … Because of his size, his weight room strength does not always translate to the field … Can get crumpled by solid contact, and gets tripped too easily … Marginal route runner who rounds his cuts and struggles to track the ball over his head … More of a body catcher who leaves his feet to catch high and low balls … Mostly aligned deep as a tailback, so he can accelerate before attacking the hole, but he will need to line up closer to scrimmage at the pro level … Steps up aggressively to pass block, but his size allows defenders to simply run over him … He tries to pick up and cut in the open, but lacks the strength to be effective there.
=======================================================
=======================================================
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2002/profiles/gordon_lamar.htm

Lamar Gordon - 84th pick in 2002
Backup to Marshall Faulk until being traded to the phins and injured

Prospect Profile

Lamar Gordon
Position: Tailback
College: North Dakota State
Height: 6-1
Weight: 214 (now 228)
Hometown: Milwaukee, Wis.

Career Notes | Agility | High School | Personal | Stats

ANALYSIS
Positives: Has an exceptional athletic physique, with a well-defined upper body, tight waist and hips, and low body fat … Hits the holes instantly and does not need to gear down when cutting … Instinctive in his movements, displaying the vision to see threats … Uses his blocks well … Can find the inside hole, despite running a little upright … Easily breaks arm tackles and rarely gets knocked back … Can turn the corner and has the speed to elude at the second level … Shows good ball security and the hands to effectively handle pitchouts … Adequate receiver on flares and screens … Can snatch the ball away from the body's framework … Has the hip snap needed to face up vs. the blitz.
Negatives: Has to learn to run at a lower pad level … Needs route running refinement, as he tends to round his cuts … Will get a piece of his man as a blocker, but does not overpower in this area … Understands football, but has struggled with academics.

CAREER NOTES
One of the most decorated athletes in school history … First two-time All-American Bison in over a decade … Holds every school game, season and career rushing records … Ranks second in North Central Conference annals with 4,700 yards on 783 carries (6.0 avg), topped only by North Dakota's Phillip Moore (4,892 yards, 1995-98) … His 62 touchdowns on the ground topped the previous conference record of 52 by former Bison QB Jeff Bentrim (1983-86) … His 384 points scored broke Bentrim's old NCC mark of 312 … Added 462 yards and a pair of touchdowns on 44 receptions (10.5 avg) while playing in 41 games.

Back
Top Bottom