The Key to 2007 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Key to 2007

YBell37

Banned
☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
We have to have a fast start in free agency and bring in two of the following players:

A Thomas
N Clements
TGonzalez
L Briggs

If Gonzalez is snagged you can concentrate or corner or biggest defensive need in round 1. If Clements or the three other defenders are signed Miami should draft the biggest impact offensive they can like Teddy Ginn Jr. or Duane Jarrett.

Forget O-line unless they are late rounders or cheap free agents, Miami has invested enough high picks, a coach and free agent dollars to form a good line, which they have.

We need a WR,OLB and CB and all other impact offensive players we can get.

Booyacasha

We have to have a fast start in free agency and bring in two of the following players:

A Thomas
N Clements
TGonzalez
L Briggs

If Gonzalez is snagged you can concentrate or corner or biggest defensive need in round 1. If Clements or the three other defenders are signed Miami should draft the biggest impact offensive they can like Teddy Ginn Jr. or Duane Jarrett.

Forget O-line unless they are late rounders or cheap free agents, Miami has invested enough high picks, a coach and free agent dollars to form a good line, which they have.

Booyacasha

You'll have to explain this one to me. Forget the O-Line and what have they done to convince you that they are good?

You'll have to explain this one to me. Forget the O-Line and what have they done to convince you that they are good?

Yes, sir. I will.

Over the past 10 or so games the o line has proved that we have talent and that Houck is a great coach. You don't see the jail break sacks we had under Culpepper and there is a running game, especially off the right side

Hadnot and Carey have improved greatly. Shelton is a natural at RG. Jeno James is serviceable as is DMac. When healthy Jeno James is better than adequate. We also have Anthony Alabi and Joe Toledo to compete for jobs.

My point is that o lines benefit from continuity from knowing what the guy next to you is going to do. Bringing in, especially drafting, a bunch of new linemen would be a waste. If Joe Thomas is there fine. If not, no other lineman is worth a first round, or maybe even a first day pick.

How is any prospect outside of Thomas going to give us the value that a better CB, OLB or WR would?

They're not.

Yes, sir. I will.

Over the past 10 or so games the o line has proved that we have talent and that Houck is a great coach. You don't see the jail break sacks we had under Culpepper and there is a running game, especially off the right side

Hadnot and Carey have improved greatly. Shelton is a natural at RG. Jeno James is serviceable as is DMac. When healthy Jeno James is better than adequate. We also have Anthony Alabi and Joe Toledo to compete for jobs.

My point is that o lines benefit from continuity from knowing what the guy next to you is going to do. Bringing in, especially drafting, a bunch of new linemen would be a waste. If Joe Thomas is there fine. If not, no other lineman is worth a first round, or maybe even a first day pick.

How is any prospect outside of Thomas going to give us the value that a better CB, OLB or WR would?

They're not.

minus rushing yards ain't so good...

how are you going to pay for Gonzo or Nate...they will both be wanting really big money

Yes, sir. I will.

They're not.

The only thing they have really proved in the past 10 games is that they are less inconsistent than in the previous four. IMO the biggest reasons for the lack of sacks given up is the change in passing philosophy. We run more 3-step and 5-step drops with Harrington to take advantage of what was supposed to be his strengths and limit the time the linemen have to hold their blocks.
Drafting an offensive linemen in the first two rounds is something we haven't done in five years. Jeno James has not been the standout he was brought in to be. Nor has anyone else for that matter. Shelton has improved since moving to RG but that's not the position he was brought in to solidify. We are still looking for a LT to stabilize the O-Line.
I am a big believer in continuity but I also believe that we need an upgrade, especially on the left side. If a Levi Brown, Ben Grubbs or Joe Staley is there in the 2nd round, you have to take a chance and draft one of them.
I think drafting an offensive linemen in the first round will bring just as much value as a WR will. Why? Because it is rare that a WR produces much in their first year.

You smokin Ricky's stash?

A Thomas
N Clements
TGonzalez
L Briggs

Booyacasha

I'd love to know what team's OL you've been watching this year, certainly not OURS! Our BIGGEST PROBLEM is OL, without a good OL we fail, and if we don't build a decdent OL this offseason, we shall fail again. Our problem is we have NOT spent a reasonable number of high picks on the OL.

What about the draft?

We need to trust Mueller, take some chances, and get some luck too. Or else we'll just be harvesting butt hairs again.

Forget O-line unless they are late rounders or cheap free agents, Miami has invested enough high picks, a coach and free agent dollars to form a good line, which they have.....
:shakeno:

This is absolutely the most incorrect and false statement I have ever read on this board. Our OL is atrocious, that's the primary reason for the offensive struggles.

:shakeno:

This is absolutely the most incorrect and false statement I have ever read on this board. Our OL is atrocious, that's the primary reason for the offensive struggles.

How is the OL atrocious? Its the lack of playmakers on O that make the Offense stink, not the line.

Guess you haven't been watching the QB and receiver play lately.

There's been running room for Brown and Morris and time for Joey to throw it, just no playmakers out there to do anything with the ball.

I'd love to know what team's OL you've been watching this year, certainly not OURS! Our BIGGEST PROBLEM is OL, without a good OL we fail, and if we don't build a decdent OL this offseason, we shall fail again. Our problem is we have NOT spent a reasonable number of high picks on the OL.

Why repeat a falsehood, that's so easily proven wrong, PhinsRock? Just because you guys so naturally and wrongly fall into lockstep on most topics doesn't make you even close to right. Here's the proof:

Last few drafts on OL:
Vernon Carey-1st
Joe Toledo-4th
Wade Smith-spent a 2 and a 3 for him
Taylor Whitley3rd
Seth McKinney- 3rd

That's six high round picks in about 6 drafts. UNDENIABLE, PhinsRock. You
're wrong. I'd say OL has been a priority for the Dolphins. At least 2 of these picks have been complete busts, with McKinney teetering on the edge of being a wasted pick, given the centers we could have signed in his place.

Our draft results show that we're better off not taking OL early. I would still argue that the combo of vets and young players on the OL playing well and getting better gives us a much better chance of fielding a good OL next year.

Last few drafts on OL:
Vernon Carey-1st
Joe Toledo-4th
Wade Smith-spent a 2 and a 3 for him
Taylor Whitley3rd
Seth McKinney- 3rd

Our draft results show that we're better off not taking OL early. I would still argue that the combo of vets and young players on the OL playing well and getting better gives us a much better chance of fielding a good OL next year.

How do you figure?

The only thing they have really proved in the past 10 games is that they are less inconsistent than in the previous four. IMO the biggest reasons for the lack of sacks given up is the change in passing philosophy. We run more 3-step and 5-step drops with Harrington to take advantage of what was supposed to be his strengths and limit the time the linemen have to hold their blocks.
Drafting an offensive linemen in the first two rounds is something we haven't done in five years. Jeno James has not been the standout he was brought in to be. Nor has anyone else for that matter. Shelton has improved since moving to RG but that's not the position he was brought in to solidify. We are still looking for a LT to stabilize the O-Line.
I am a big believer in continuity but I also believe that we need an upgrade, especially on the left side. If a Levi Brown, Ben Grubbs or Joe Staley is there in the 2nd round, you have to take a chance and draft one of them.
I think drafting an offensive linemen in the first round will bring just as much value as a WR will. Why? Because it is rare that a WR produces much in their first year.

We drafted Carey in the first 3 years ago.

I think Alabi has a far better chance of being a good LT than any player we could get in the second round. Levi Brown looks more like a RT and we're good there. Team has high hopes for Toledo as well who could compete for either G spot.

In other words the OL is in better shape than other areas of the team.

We have no playmakers at corner.
No tight ends who can stretch the field or hang onto the ball
2 #2 WR's in Chambers and Booker, a solid 3 in Welker and ??? with Hagan/Vick
No SLB, Spragan is a nothing player, no real pass rushers outside of JT
An aging defense, especially on the front seven
No sure thing at QB

I could see drafting a QB with one of the first two picks more than OL.

The point is that you guys have blinders on when it comes to certain things and the OL looks like one of them.

We have far bigger needs.

i think our o-line could be better, but a revamp will effect the chemistry..AGAIN..and we'll see another slow start in 2007..
the o-line has given us some 100+ yd rushing games with both brown and morris..and they sure can't be blamed for all the dropped passes..i'd take a qb and a wr any day of the week over major ol changes..

Miami will draft Levi Brown if he is still available during the draft unless Houck wants Alabi to be the starter because Miami needs a left tackle desperately. I would like to see Miami sign 2 of these 3: Eric Steinbach, Lance Briggs, or Nate Clements.

Back
Top Bottom