The Killers Bees vs our defence now, who's better? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Killers Bees vs our defence now, who's better?

Danny

Finheaven VIP
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Since is slow right now I was wondering which defence do you guys think is/was better, the killers bees of the early 80's or our defence now? First, we can only talk about what our defence has done till last year and then speculate as to what they'll do this year.I think is closer than some people might think.Keep on mind that we used a 3-4 defence back then and a 4-3 defence now so we'll have to go by unit and not so much by player. Here's my take.

D-line,
Betters, Boumhower and Bokamper
O-gun,Bowens,Chester and JT
JT is better than anyone on both list but I think that the killers bees were a little more consisten overall as far as rushing the passer. they both played the run well.

edge-even

LB-Brusinski(sp?),Rhones,Duhe and Bowser
Greenwood/Moore,Zack and Seau
I love AJ and Rhones was very good playing the run. Bowser was a good blitser but Zack and Seau in the same unit should be something to watch.
edge-2003

DB-Mckneal and Small were the corners and the blackwood brothers the safeties
Sam,Pat,Marion and Knight
The blackwood brothers were 2 of the smartest and most fun to watch players we ever had but you're talking 4 probowlers in 2003.
edge-2003
coaching-2003-Bates
Killer bees-the great Bill Arnsparger
edge-Killer bees.

summary, no doubt that our defence now has more talent but as a group the killer bees played great under a great DC and a great HC(Shula) wether they were at home or on the road. Our defence now has played great at home but not even close to that on the road(hopefuly that will change this year.
I'll say that our defence now gets the edge but not by much till they prove they can play on the road.

So what do you guys think?

I agree on the Killer Bee's. While they didn't have all of these big names, they simply got it done. There was not slack and no excuses from that squad. If an ass whoopin was due, someone always stepped up to provide the effort.

Definetly the Killer Bees..How do you think they got the name..Killer..They certainly didn't play with teams..They definetly wouldn't have lost an 11 point lead with 5 minutes left..They had the heart and soul this present D lacks..If this D can stay focus and know that their good, instead of only think they are, they can be a force to reckon with...then I'll call them Dolphin's Force or DForce for short...until then they don't deserve a name and that's probably why they don't have one yet.

Two Different styles of defense. Plus, Football has evolved bit since then. In those days there where maybe 10 300lbs. players in the league, now theres 10 on each team.

Overall I like the spead of the 2003 defense, but I love the mental toughness of the B's.

My 2 pennies.

well, the game has change and the players have gotten bigger but I'm just trying to compare how they did at their time.I wanted to say that I liked the killer bees better but was afraid I'd have been the only one. I wonder how this defence would do with Arnsparger as the DC.

What could BA do with 2003? What's he doing lately anyway. Maybe we can send out an SOD (instead of SOS) to him.

I think this team has a better defense on paper, but until they get to a Superbowl, and prove they can win a big game I'm going with the Killer Bees.

Originally posted by VanDolPhan
The Killers Bees. They simply got the job done when it counted.

Not against the 49ers, that's for sure ! :rolleyes: Marino1983

I'd give the edge to the Killer Bees b/c they went further in the playoffs. However, talent-wise, this D looks as good as any since the 70's and I think they could be as good as any. Health will be big.

Marino 83, by the time the Dolphins made it to the '85 SB ('84 season), the Bees were essentially extinct. We had Jackie Shipp and Jay Brophy at LB's! AJ Duhe was gone and he was one of the best players. The DL had worn down to a skeleton of it's old self - I don't think Baumhower was starting, even. It was over with. The '83 SB (82 season) had them in their prime - but, their run defense weakness was exploited by the Redskins who really overpowered the Bees.

But, they didn't have the late season collapses that the current D has had. The shame is, we weren't able to draft a D like this in the late 80's and early 90's. Had we had this D with Marino - we'd have won at least two SB's imo, and I'm not exaggerating. There would be no 55-49 OT losses, like the Jests game (that was the epitome of the post '85 season Dolphins - spectacular offense, horrific defense).

The 2003 squad.

Sorry I didn't see the Killer Bees play.
:rolleyes:

But I'll go with them anyway cause they prove they can dance. We are waiting that from the current team for 5 years now. This year they have to prove they're better than a great defense. In 10 years I want to see a post that will ask which D was better, the 70's Steelers,85 Bears, Ravens, Bucs or 2003 Fins.

The difference was that the Killer Bees were built around Baumhower - the best NT in football and using AJ Duhe to confuse the OL and QB w/his blitzing, lining up all over the field play. Arnsparger's schemes were the key to the D, not the talent. They are practically the opposite of our current D. Killer Bees - small DL, big LB, slow smart DBs. 2003 D, big DTs, small, fast LB and DE. Fast and smart DBs. I would like to compare the Bruise Bros. to Brock and Sammy. Of course, Wanne-Bate's D does not rely on much strategy and scheme, just straight up risk-averting may guys are betta than yours play.

Give me Bill A as DC with this D and we can start comparing to the no-names ;)

If memory serves me right, the Killer B's heyday was prior to the '83 Super Bowl, wasn't it???

So neither the Killer B's or the current D has won the Super Bowl...

The Killer B's were 5-5 in the playoffs, if you count from '79 to '84...

And they lost to Seattle, that was awful... I'll never forget where I was that day, I was sick to my stomache...

I think that overall the current Defense is a better unit, all the way around...

Madison will likely pass Blackwood in INTs this season...

JT will pass Betters in sacks...

and remember, we had Paul Lankford and Don McNeal at CB... Has there been a worse pairing on the corners in team history??? I can't remember the other CB who was there... Actually I think Lankford and McNeal were early '80s guys...

Back
Top Bottom