The Longest Game Ever Played: Chiefs vs Dolphins | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Longest Game Ever Played: Chiefs vs Dolphins

Geforce

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
Coming up on NFL Network NFL's Greatest Games at 1:30 pm. 1 hour

The Longest Game Ever: Chiefs vs Dolphins. The 40th Anniversary of the historical Chiefs vs Dolphins matchup from the 1971 AFC Divisional Playoffs.

I'll check it out....thanks!

From that game....

Although a total of 13 future Hall of Fame players were suited up that day, the real star was Chiefs’ running back Ed Podolak. In one of the greatest post-season performances ever, Podolak carried the ball 17 times for 85 yards, caught eight passes for 110 yards, returned three kickoffs for 153 yards, and ran back 2 punts for 2 yards. For the day, Podolak gained a combined total of 350 yards.

The Longest Game Ever Played 1971 Dolphins vs Chiefs on Daily Motion

[video=dailymotion;x1lvdki]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1lvdki_the-longest-game-ever-played-chiefs-dolphins-1971_lifestyle[/video]

I remember that game! Was the best Christmas I had from my youth. One of the few times my father, and my four brothers watched the Fins together. I don't remember what I got but I remember that game.

Thanks, Geforce. Lots of great memories there. That was the game that turned a 10 year old into a lifelong Dolphins fan.

Two other things that I found interesting from the game.

Nick B had 20 tackles.

Dolphin players knew Griese couldn't throw the long ball but he was a master at the 10-20 yard passes.

Coming up on NFL Network NFL's Greatest Games at 1:30 pm. 1 hour

The Longest Game Ever: Chiefs vs Dolphins. The 40th Anniversary of the historical Chiefs vs Dolphins matchup from the 1971 AFC Divisional Playoffs.

That was the game that made me a Dolphins fan.

Two other things that I found interesting from the game.

Nick B had 20 tackles.

Dolphin players knew Griese couldn't throw the long ball but he was a master at the 10-20 yard passes.
I think that was due to him nursing an injury to his left shoulder. Uninjured, he could hit Warfield long just fine.

Amazing game. I'll never forget the atmosphere in our house, and while watching the game in general. Everything seemed so vibrant, like the players were jumping off the screen into your living room. Kansas City, then as now, has such awesome home uniforms. The announcing crew applied just the proper weight and perspective. With fewer teams in the playoffs every playoff game carried such significance, like you were among the absolute elite. Keep in mind that only two seasons removed from the merger there had been talk that the ex-NFL teams like Baltimore would dominate the AFC playoffs for years to come. That had played out in 1970, the first combined year, with the Colts making it to the Super Bowl and winning it.

A season earlier everybody watched the Dolphins playoff game at Oakland. But frankly, we expected to lose. Playing competitively in the mud was satisfying enough. Now it was time to do something in the playoffs or face the fraud label, and self doubt.

Of all the televised games in that wonderful era, my family and I watched that Chiefs game on our feet. That's what stands out to me. We were pacing the Florida room between plays, and then gathering in front of the TV just before the next snap. Followed by reaction. Every play was so pivotal, especially since neither team could dependably stop the other.

I thought it was goners after the long Podolak return late in regulation. Keep in mind the situational influence. Not everybody had a soccer style kicker in those years. The teams that did have one, particularly a very skilled one, it almost seemed like they were cheating. Stenerud was already a budding legend, not quite to the Vinateri level but as close as you'll get.

I was shocked when he missed the game winner. Then I'll never forget how calm my dad was prior to Stenerud's subsequent game winning attempt in overtime. I think it was 42 yards. Not exactly unlikely, for a kicker of that caliber. Dad insisted that Stenerud's body language was terrible, that he was shook up and wouldn't come through. That kick was partially blocked, if I remember correctly.

Such jubilation when Garo connected. Almost instantly you could hear neighbors rushing out of their homes and celebrating in the streets. Car horns and shouts were the method in those days. No such thing as pots and pans. It continued well into the night. We took a family drive just to be part of it. Miamians were standing alongside streets waving white hankies and Dolphin banners. Many held bedsheets with various tributes. Some were actually readable, but not many. Nobody cared if you could read it. We knew the theme.

I have one memory from that game winning kick that I always held, but not sure I've ever shared. For a 37 yarder, it didn't clear by much. Maybe 6 yards. The goal posts were on the goal line in that era. Yepremian had plenty of leg, as evidenced by his 50+ yarder outdoors at Minnesota a season later. Throughout the postgame show and celebration I remember thinking it was fortunate we weren't just a bit further out. Garo's kick was like a golf drive that goes nice and straight but pathetic distance since you didn't catch it flush, not even close.

I was five years old but I don't remember this game, but I remember listening to us winning the SB on Armed Forces Radio with my dad when we were stationed at base in Italy In 1972 and 1973. Been a fan ever since.

Amazing game. I'll never forget the atmosphere in our house, and while watching the game in general. Everything seemed so vibrant, like the players were jumping off the screen into your living room. Kansas City, then as now, has such awesome home uniforms. The announcing crew applied just the proper weight and perspective. With fewer teams in the playoffs every playoff game carried such significance, like you were among the absolute elite. Keep in mind that only two seasons removed from the merger there had been talk that the ex-NFL teams like Baltimore would dominate the AFC playoffs for years to come. That had played out in 1970, the first combined year, with the Colts making it to the Super Bowl and winning it.

A season earlier everybody watched the Dolphins playoff game at Oakland. But frankly, we expected to lose. Playing competitively in the mud was satisfying enough. Now it was time to do something in the playoffs or face the fraud label, and self doubt.

Of all the televised games in that wonderful era, my family and I watched that Chiefs game on our feet. That's what stands out to me. We were pacing the Florida room between plays, and then gathering in front of the TV just before the next snap. Followed by reaction. Every play was so pivotal, especially since neither team could dependably stop the other.

I thought it was goners after the long Podolak return late in regulation. Keep in mind the situational influence. Not everybody had a soccer style kicker in those years. The teams that did have one, particularly a very skilled one, it almost seemed like they were cheating. Stenerud was already a budding legend, not quite to the Vinateri level but as close as you'll get.

I was shocked when he missed the game winner. Then I'll never forget how calm my dad was prior to Stenerud's subsequent game winning attempt in overtime. I think it was 42 yards. Not exactly unlikely, for a kicker of that caliber. Dad insisted that Stenerud's body language was terrible, that he was shook up and wouldn't come through. That kick was partially blocked, if I remember correctly.

Such jubilation when Garo connected. Almost instantly you could hear neighbors rushing out of their homes and celebrating in the streets. Car horns and shouts were the method in those days. No such thing as pots and pans. It continued well into the night. We took a family drive just to be part of it. Miamians were standing alongside streets waving white hankies and Dolphin banners. Many held bedsheets with various tributes. Some were actually readable, but not many. Nobody cared if you could read it. We knew the theme.

I have one memory from that game winning kick that I always held, but not sure I've ever shared. For a 37 yarder, it didn't clear by much. Maybe 6 yards. The goal posts were on the goal line in that era. Yepremian had plenty of leg, as evidenced by his 50+ yarder outdoors at Minnesota a season later. Throughout the postgame show and celebration I remember thinking it was fortunate we weren't just a bit further out. Garo's kick was like a golf drive that goes nice and straight but pathetic distance since you didn't catch it flush, not even close.
Awsi- I thoroughly enjoyed your note, while not every game has the historic significance of that game, I do enjoy going back in time and reminiscing about our history. Notes like this remind me of why I love our PHINS so much. I think it keeps all of us hanging on for "our turn" once again.
Merry Christmas Awsi

That was the game that made me a Dolphins fan.

Yep, me too. I was 5. Brother-in law who lives in Sun Valley, ID (and is a Phins fan too) was paired in a celebrity golf tournament a few years ago with actor Sidney Poitier and Jan Stenerud. Said all he did the whole round was talk to Stenerud about that Christmas day game. Said that game still bothers Stenerud.

without a doubt one of my favorite memories as a kid, it also keeps me holding on hoping, praying that my Phins will give me that feeling again. It also made the following week anticlimactic, living in west palm we couldn't watch the afc championship game on tv because of the blackout rule. instead gleefully listened to rick weaver describe greise scrambling before hitting warfield for a td, then dick anderson returning pick six to put it away. I wonder if God will let me see another great Dolphin team.

I was actually a teenager back then and went to the
Airport to great the team when it came back from KC.
There were Tens of thousands of fans there. Insane. Lots
Of fun.

Back
Top Bottom