The merits of 'Drafting For Need' | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The merits of 'Drafting For Need'

CBS has Smith at 5 above Parsons.
CBS, as a media conglomerate might not be one of the better outlets, but it's an opinion... just like mine.

I'm low on Smith... and many people are. As a consistent reader of mockdraftdatabase.com, I have seen that Smith's draft position has consistently fallen out of the top 10 in most mocks.

I agree more with Smith being 'need' than Waddle.
Smith is polished and shining like a diamond. His ceiling is already inches from his head, currently.
Waddle is the Athlete of the bunch and with a little more development time, seems, to me, to have the highest ceiling.
I'd greatly prefer Waddle. So, I'm with you on that.

CBS, as a media conglomerate might not be one of the better outlets, but it's an opinion... just like mine.

I'm low on Smith... and many people are. As a consistent reader of mockdraftdatabase.com, I have seen that Smith's draft position has consistently fallen out of the top 10 in most mocks.
I think Smith is rated top 10 more often than not.

In 2020, after the all star games and combine, I feel all objective data pointed to Herbert being the right pick. Prior to that 'data', it made sense to take Tua. While I, as a 'fanboy', was excited about the idea of Tua, I expect the FO of an NFL team to be better than a 'fanboy', but, I feel, Grier went full 'fanboy' on Tua.

I bring this up because the data, again, should push us away from Smith. He's tiny, refused to weigh in or run or do drillz, etc.
But, I seriously think Grier is already bathing in 'Bama kool-aid. He will pick Smith because he looked great on tv.

CBS 5
Daniel Jeremiah 6
Walter Football 6
Sporting News 7
NBC Sports 7

He is a legit top 10 prospect according to the so called experts.

The thing people don’t understand about BPA is that teams all have different boards and scout differently. So there is going to be a wide variety of BPAs. The mainstream draft media does their best to make a generalized board that ranks prospects in a generic rankings based off traits, tape and what they hear.

CBS 5
Daniel Jeremiah 6
Walter Football 6
Sporting News 7
NBC Sports 7

He is a legit top 10 prospect according to the so called experts.
In DJ's mock, he has him going 11th, to the Giants.
Josh Edwards CBS, 17th to the Raiders
Walter is a fan site.
Sporting News, 7th to Detroit
NBC Sports 18th to us.

Your sources... and even they vary quite a bit.

Early in the process, a lot of people had him going top 5... mostly to us, but that has greatly cooled as the immediacy of the last schoolboy season has ended and cooler heads have prevailed.

I'll give you one thing, he has been greatly hyped for a player who refuses to be weighed or to run (because he knows that both will hurt him even more).

Smith is THE most polarizing player in this draft. Those that love him, refuse to even consider that his game might not work in the NFL with bigger and better opposition, and those of us who have our doubts, mostly think he'll be a good #2 WR.

We'll see, I guess... I wouldn't touch him before the second round as I'm a player who believes in prototypes, but your mileage may vary.

I think drafting for need has killed Miami over the past 20 years or so. We can cite example after example of taking the lesser player to fill a need.

I look back to when Tennessee drafted Kearse. He dropped into their lap unexpectedly, but the Titans really needed wide receiver help. Every mock draft had a wide receiver going to the Titans. They took Kearse and his rookie year was phenomenal, helping Tennessee to the super bowl.

When needs meets the talent in the draft, that's a perfect marriage. Wide receiver is a draft strength and Miami needs talent there. That makes sense.

Barmore at #18 could represent the best value if he makes it there. Do you pass, or make it work? That's just an example.

The goal of the draft is to assist the team in creating a good football team. I've seen the team draft for need and draft an underwhelming player. I've seen the team draft for bpa and draft an underwhelming player since they were wrong on that guy. There isn't a surefire draft strategy. The real deciding factor is whether a team has properly evaluated and scouted players. If they are doing that right they will draft good players at needs and draft great players who were beaten from time to time.

There is nothing worse, though, than a team that missed its eval and drafteda supposed bpa that isn't even a warm body at a needed position.

Back
Top Bottom