The Miami Dolphins 2020 free agency strategy and why fans should be excited — and wary | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Miami Dolphins 2020 free agency strategy and why fans should be excited — and wary

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
1569152250436.png

The only thing the 2019 Miami Dolphins might win between now and December is an ugly season contest.

So Dolphins fans are medicating their pain by having warm and fuzzy thoughts of next spring when the draft will come bearing three first-round picks, and free agency will beckon, with the Dolphins holding perhaps $125 million in disposable salary cap space.

The facts in the previous paragraph are compelling, and the Dolphins this week fed fans begging for any morsel of optimism by allowing general manager Chris Grier to share a glimpse of the strategy the team will use to start building next March.

That strategy is, in part, the Dolphins are going into the next free agency period loaded with more cap space than any other NFL team and more space than this franchise has ever had since the salary cap was introduced in 1994.

Making these facts a big deal is that owner Stephen Ross is expected to open his vault and let his football people spend.

And Grier intends to go for it.

2020 NFL Free Agents (https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/)

Curious who would be the free agents that legitimately would be chances to sign for that 6-7 million a year and would be of benefit to the Fins. Not expecting any pro bowlers or superstars for that price.

Curious who would be the free agents that legitimately would be chances to sign for that 6-7 million a year and would be of benefit to the Fins. Not expecting any pro bowlers or superstars for that price.

Notice how he didn't suggest anyone they should target. Joe Schad's list had Amari Cooper on it :lol:

There are so many holes, and those FA aren't actually going to hit the market. They are going to overpay for mediocre talent. Grier set this franchise back 5 years with his terrible management.
Is it the overall plan of "blow it up and start over" that you disageed with, or just the individual moves?

It's hard for me to nitpick the individual moves, once the decision to rebuild from foundation up was made.

Coaching hire? No established coach was going to touch this job.

Cuts? We needed to rid ourselves of bad contracts, moving forward.

Tunsil? Too good to pass up.

Minkah? Didnt want to be here, and we got our rd1 back.

What, specifically is your big complaint? Not fielding a competitive team this season?

Do you just think Grier is incompetent, therefore anything he does is wrong?

I'm not trying to be a jerk. I really want to know what you are thinking, beyond the blanket statement you posted.

Too many would-be free agents have signed extensions with their current teams, so its too early to know who will be available when free agency comes around.

Notice how he didn't suggest anyone they should target. Joe Schad's list had Amari Cooper on it :lol:
Didn't suggest any one because I don't have the time work wise and other interests to follow all the other teams so was asking a genuine question hoping to get a reply or two so I could look up those suggestions and get a better feeling for what other people think this team needs.

I think the Dolphins should start a school and teach media and fans what they actually want to accomplish. There is a misconception that we are splurging money for the big names in FA. For the most part we will be spending FA money in a measured way for players which will fit the system rather than the big names. Same with the draft. At this point we have nobody in particular target. We have options. At the end of the season they will evaluate what FA and what draft pick will bring us to the next level? Which player is a good fit for us now for us to make the next step as a team.

If people think we are loading up with big flashy names in FA or the draft just because we could will be in for a big surprise and probably major disappointment. To understand our FA and/or draft strategy you have to understand the Dolphins.

Didn't suggest any one because I don't have the time work wise and other interests to follow all the other teams so was asking a genuine question hoping to get a reply or two so I could look up those suggestions and get a better feeling for what other people think this team needs.

You misunderstood me. I wasn't talking about you, I meant Armando Salguero. He is always critical, yet he has no plan.

I didn't expect you to have a free agency plan.

The thing about free agency is that you end up with mostly veterans who might have a year or two left or young players with potential who haven't yet produced. Sometimes you get some good talent from teams that just simply can't keep them. In this free agent period, Miami needs to capitalize on those types. The team is in great shape to overpay without affecting the 2019, 2020 and 2021 draft picks when their contracts come due.

As to the draft, Grier has to hit at a better than NFL average. Miami looks like almost a sure bet to get the #1 overall pick. Maybe Pittsburgh goes 6-10 and the Dolphins end up with another pick close to the top 10. Houston probably wins at least 10. That's a good team. Bottom line, the Dolphins might be able to get five starters from this draft and maybe a couple in free agency. The offseason definitely should be exciting.

The Dolphins are not the first team to have $100+ mil. in cap space to spend on free agents. Every year there are a handful of teams, awful teams, with money and a delusion they'll work the f/a market to fill the many holes their inept team management and scouting have left on their rosters and every year they just manage to overspend on replacement level players that don't make the team better, at all. The Raiders and Jets did it this year, the Browns the year before, the Jags the year before.

When teams like the Dolphins shop the market they will grossly overpay for subpar production because it's the only way any free agent is coming here. A bunch of good teams: Colts, Cowboys, Ravens, Seahawks, Bills are going to have $80 mil.+ to spend in ufa next year, if you're a quality player on the market you're going to one of those teams unless a bad team grossly overpays like the Raiders did for Trent Brown and Tyrell Williams, like the Jets did for Trumaine Johnson or Kelvin Beachum, or the Broncos did for Ju'wain James. The Texans paid a career backup from the Jags, Aaron Colvin $34 mil/18 guarenteed, to play CB only to cut him one year later.

These are the exact kind of guys the Dolphins will bring in, they're the only kind of guys that would come. I remember a few years ago when the Giants paid Olivier Vernon $70 mil. to suck, everyone was astounded a team would pay a guy like that that kind of money, well prepare to be astonished by what this organization will pay for comparable talents next year.

Back
Top Bottom