The Miami Dolphins 2020 free agency strategy and why fans should be excited — and wary | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Miami Dolphins 2020 free agency strategy and why fans should be excited — and wary

Just a thought... we can afford to overpay... so what will we overpay on?
Flashy 50 million dollar stars... (say 2 of them)?
Or maybe 4 or 5 solid vets... very average players at positions that dont typically break the bank. Say... a guard, a safety, a second cornerback, a wr2 with great hands... none of these positions would drain us.

Just a thought...

The Dolphins are not the first team to have $100+ mil. in cap space to spend on free agents. Every year there are a handful of teams, awful teams, with money and a delusion they'll work the f/a market to fill the many holes their inept team management and scouting have left on their rosters and every year they just manage to overspend on replacement level players that don't make the team better, at all. The Raiders and Jets did it this year, the Browns the year before, the Jags the year before.

When teams like the Dolphins shop the market they will grossly overpay for subpar production because it's the only way any free agent is coming here. A bunch of good teams: Colts, Cowboys, Ravens, Seahawks, Bills are going to have $80 mil.+ to spend in ufa next year, if you're a quality player on the market you're going to one of those teams unless a bad team grossly overpays like the Raiders did for Trent Brown and Tyrell Williams, like the Jets did for Trumaine Johnson or Kelvin Beachum, or the Broncos did for Ju'wain James. The Texans paid a career backup from the Jags, Aaron Colvin $34 mil/18 guarenteed, to play CB only to cut him one year later.

These are the exact kind of guys the Dolphins will bring in, they're the only kind of guys that would come. I remember a few years ago when the Giants paid Olivier Vernon $70 mil. to suck, everyone was astounded a team would pay a guy like that that kind of money, well prepare to be astonished by what this organization will pay for comparable talents next year.

Yup. Every team has cap space available and all their good players have been resigned. The dolphins are going to be in a bidding war with other teams over scrubs that weren’t wanted. Juwan James should have been resigned, Minkah shouldn’t have been traded. Dumping all the older players is ok in a rebuild (wake,Quinn) but Grier is dumping young talent too. Terrible.

Free agency in 2020 will be different than any of the following years for the Dolphins.

This is the one year where they will add big time core pieces and spend big, they won’t have to worry about losing compensatory picks as they won’t have any major free agents leaving.

Yup. Every team has cap space available and all their good players have been resigned. The dolphins are going to be in a bidding war with other teams over scrubs that weren’t wanted. Juwan James should have been resigned, Minkah shouldn’t have been traded. Dumping all the older players is ok in a rebuild (wake,Quinn) but Grier is dumping young talent too. Terrible.

Minkah was not Derwin James....and he didn’t want to be here...Pittsburgh pick is looking like a top 5. Juwan James is not great either.

Minkah was not Derwin James....and he didn’t want to be here...Pittsburgh pick is looking like a top 5. Juwan James is not great either.

Pittsburgh pick isn’t going to be top 5, and will be lucky to be top 10. James is better than whatever they can fill that spot with in the next couple years. Tough **** for Minkah if he doesn’t want to be here.

Free agency in 2020 will be different than any of the following years for the Dolphins.

This is the one year where they will add big time core pieces and spend big, they won’t have to worry about losing compensatory picks as they won’t have any major free agents leaving.
I think a challenge is the list of free agents in 2020 does not seem to be a stellar crop so supply and demand may lead to mediocre players getting paid like stars.

It will be interesting to see whether Grier exercises patience and discipline to the longterm plan or tries to force a rebuild to fit his 2020 time-line if he has one. I recall him saying Miami would be aggressive in free agency but not sure if he was referring specifically ly to 2020 when he said it.

If he is aggressive in 2020 with a mediocre crop of FAs Miami might find themselves right back into bad contracts like they just got out of.

We set the house on fire then blame people when they start scrambling for the exits. Every player knows the Dolphins don't give a $h!t about their careers, they're literally sacrificing player's careers on the altar of their incompetence. These guys want to win and they want long, lucrative careers, that's not going to happen on a team where neither the coaching staff or front office has a clue.

We don't know what kind of player Minkah was because they wouldn't give him a position to play, he had to learn 6 positions in the off-season. How was this man supposed to excel? And if Minkah just wasn't a good player blame Grier for fighting to draft the guy just a year earlier.

Pittsburgh pick isn’t going to be top 5, and will be lucky to be top 10. James is better than whatever they can fill that spot with in the next couple years. Tough **** for Minkah if he doesn’t want to be here.
Lucky? I'll take that top 10

You might want to check out Pittsburghs schedule...already 0-3. I have them winning 4.

Also... check out Tristan Wirfs RT..Iowa...Be a perfect blindside pick for Tua in round one.

You might want to check out Pittsburghs schedule...already 0-3. I have them winning 4.

Also... check out Tristan Wirfs RT..Iowa...Be a perfect blindside pick for Tua in round one.

I did check their schedule. I think they win 7 cinx2 Miami, ind, cardinals, jets, and 1 vs Browns.

I have zero confidence that the Dolphins will be able to entice any of the better free agents to Miami this off season. There are are number of good teams who have a lot of cap space also and they aren’t in the middle of a complete rebuild.

Perhaps in 2 or 3 years and assuming the front office doesn’t doesn’t screw up the next 2 drafts, the Dolphins might be able to bring in some quality free agents. This is not going to be a quick rebuild and free agents looking to sign with a playoff caliber team will not have the Dolphins high on their list this off season., IMO.

We already have gotten lucky w/ that Pittsburgh pick

It should be a playoff team. We’re lucky it’s even in the realm of possibility to be top ten and a good chance at top 5. Insanely lucky

Tackle is a solid option, but maybe Wisconsin's center also

Tua, Jeudy, OL would be a solid 1st round

Or if Jeudy is gone, we could get Ruggs instead, maybe a pass rusher and OL

If the Dolphins use the rollover cap credit we can in theory have a lot more money to sign players with than most teams will, over the next 4-5 years.

Rolling over a credit is a game changer nowadays and shouldn’t be over looked as a significant asset in our rebuild.

Players will be lining up to sign with Miami and be apart of something with promise and potential.

As if anyone would rather sign with 3-0 Bills or Niners than the 0-3 Dolphins.

Back
Top Bottom