The Miami Dolphins Are A 10 Win Team And Here Is Why | Page 16 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Miami Dolphins Are A 10 Win Team And Here Is Why

Thanks for pointing this out. It’s gonna be a problem, not huge but enough to be a point of contention the next couple years. Drake isn’t known for being a patient runner behind the line. He’s a better RB in space than between the tackles. Runs to the outside when the hole isn’t there. Great hitting gaps quickly. I’m just saying it’s not a great fit, it’s gonna be a challenge and Gase has to know this. Gore may actually end up getting more carries than people think because of this.
Why would Gase, lessen the load of a player who led the NFL in rushing and yards after contact over the last quarter of last season, a player who can pass protect and be flexed out because of his dexterity and receiving ability?

Why would Gase, lessen the load of a player who led the NFL in rushing and yards after contact over the last quarter of last season, a player who can pass protect and be flexed out because of his dexterity and receiving ability?

All true, but Gore is a HOF quality RB. His ability to make adjustments and turn a negative play into a positive is a valuable asset against a D with 8 in the box. The strength of this o-line In run blocking will be between the tackles. If he proves to be more valuable on 1st and 2nd down, or designed running plays between the tackles, then Gore should get these carries. If Miami is ahead and they’re trying to control the clock; they’re not running too many outside zone plays.

On the other hand, Drake is the more dangerous weapon of the two. His upside is scary. He should be in early and often. He should be in when playing from behind. He can be a difference maker; cracking a big play when they’re playing tight football or need a spark.

The more I understand these players strengths and weaknesses, the more the pieces come together. And it’s starting to look like Gore and Drake May see a similar number of snaps.

Last edited:
All true, but Gore is a HOF quality RB. His ability to make adjustments and turn a negative play into a positive is a valuable asset against a D with 8 in the box. The strength of this o-line In run blocking will be between the tackles. If he proves to be more valuable on 1st and 2nd down, or designed running plays between the tackles, then Gore should get these carries. If Miami is ahead and they’re trying to control the clock; they’re not running too many outside zone plays.

On the other hand, Drake is the more dangerous weapon of the two. His upside is scary. He should be in early and often. He should be in when playing from behind. He can be a difference maker; cracking a big play when they’re playing tight football or need a spark.

The more I understand these players strengths and weaknesses, the more the pieces come together. And it’s starting to look like Gore and Drake May see a similar number of snaps.

Perhaps you are right.

Weeks 8-11 after Ajayi was traded away, both Williams and Drake saw similar snap counts.

Damien Williams
Week, snap count
8, 30
9, 31
10, 27
11, 24
Kenyan Drake
Week, snap count
8, 37
9, 25
10, 38
11, 25

Interestingly enough they lost all of those games. So maybe the sweet spot is 60% Drake?

Respect your take, I just simply don’t see them getting close to equal carries, one is a young vet just approaching his prime, a player that can play all three downs very well, the other is yes a hall of fame vet, but’s he’s 36 years old..

It comes down to who is the biggest threat from all over the field, right now there is no comparison, no disrespect to Gore...Gore can’t flex out and run a 9 route for 6..Gore can’t avoid an untouched defender in the gap, execute a perfect spin move and have the speed to House it..

I can see drake spelling him on a few series a game, but It should be mandatory in this offense that he touches the ball 25 times a game..you have the best chances to score and gain chunk yardage if you can do that.

Perhaps you are right.

Weeks 8-11 after Ajayi was traded away, both Williams and Drake saw similar snap counts.

Damien Williams
Week, snap count
8, 30
9, 31
10, 27
11, 24
Kenyan Drake
Week, snap count
8, 37
9, 25
10, 38
11, 25

Interestingly enough they lost all of those games. So maybe the sweet spot is 60% Drake?
Or maybe the QB has to compliment the run. Need a better QB then Cutler

The key to everything is QB play, no more no less.

Respect your take, I just simply don’t see them getting close to equal carries, one is a young vet just approaching his prime, a player that can play all three downs very well, the other is yes a hall of fame vet, but’s he’s 36 years old..

It comes down to who is the biggest threat from all over the field, right now there is no comparison, no disrespect to Gore...Gore can’t flex out and run a 9 route for 6..Gore can’t avoid an untouched defender in the gap, execute a perfect spin move and have the speed to House it..

I can see drake spelling him on a few series a game, but It should be mandatory in this offense that he touches the ball 25 times a game..you have the best chances to score and gain chunk yardage if you can do that.

This was my original take too. But if I’m right, watch, fans will be banging their head clamoring for more Drake because Gore is only getting 1-3 yards on a regular basis between the tackles. Even if he averages 4, the perception will be that they’re not being most effective with their personnel. But the logic will be that Gore getting those 1-3 yard carries would be better than Drake losing a yard because he’s trying to make something happen with his skill set.

Here are some highlights for you from the last 3 or 4 years, watch him run thru the Dolphins at about the 2:50 to 3:30 mark for 4 or 5 TD's doing this all behind Indy's O-line when it was crap...

Gore is only getting 1-3 yards - give me a break!!!!

Was an excellent pickup to pair with Drake - should be an excellent teacher to Drake who still appears at this stage, a little bit like a noob with unbelievable potential.

Were still a passing team so don't expect it to be 50-50 more like 65-70% pass, even if a lot more of those passes are going to RB's.

Love it. Drake will definitely be a help this year with his strength (if he doesn't fumble) and having a vet such as Frank Gore with him will be a big big help in improving his game.

If Gase is wise, he will be using a running back by committee. Drake's collegiate history was not one of durability, and he's been injured in the pros as well, so I cannot see him becoming a bell-cow back.

JahnDho's point about how Gore should see increased snaps when we are protecting a lead, and Drake should see increased snaps when we're playing from behind, will likely change their snap counts on a game by game basis. But overall, Gase will want to get two things: 1) Lots of touches for Drake to generate chunk plays and defensive focus, and 2) Enough snaps for Gore to keep Drake fresh and healthy. I'm expecting Ballage to get the lion's share of the 3rd down snaps, lessening the load for both Gore and Drake.

While there is likely a snap-count target for each back, I think situational football and switching backs to keep the defense off kilter (and the RB's fresh) should be the overriding factor on a game by game basis. My worry is that we have 3 rather specific backs, and if any one of them gets injured--which is almost surely going to happen to at least one of them--the entire scheme gets thrown off. IMHO, that makes us a bit fragile at the RB position … kinda like 'we're only as strong as our weakest link' sort of thing. I'm hoping our RB's can adapt and handle that kind of adversity.

If Gase is wise, he will be using a running back by committee. Drake's collegiate history was not one of durability, and he's been injured in the pros as well, so I cannot see him becoming a bell-cow back.

JahnDho's point about how Gore should see increased snaps when we are protecting a lead, and Drake should see increased snaps when we're playing from behind, will likely change their snap counts on a game by game basis. But overall, Gase will want to get two things: 1) Lots of touches for Drake to generate chunk plays and defensive focus, and 2) Enough snaps for Gore to keep Drake fresh and healthy. I'm expecting Ballage to get the lion's share of the 3rd down snaps, lessening the load for both Gore and Drake.

While there is likely a snap-count target for each back, I think situational football and switching backs to keep the defense off kilter (and the RB's fresh) should be the overriding factor on a game by game basis. My worry is that we have 3 rather specific backs, and if any one of them gets injured--which is almost surely going to happen to at least one of them--the entire scheme gets thrown off. IMHO, that makes us a bit fragile at the RB position … kinda like 'we're only as strong as our weakest link' sort of thing. I'm hoping our RB's can adapt and handle that kind of adversity.

I don't see Ballage being a major contributor barring injury. Most mid to lower round rookie backs have to prove they can handle pass pro responsibility.

I'm sure he get some opportunities, but asking him to be the third down back, with all that goes into it, is asking a lot. I'm thinking next year for him.

I don't see Ballage being a major contributor barring injury. Most mid to lower round rookie backs have to prove they can handle pass pro responsibility.

I'm sure he get some opportunities, but asking him to be the third down back, with all that goes into it, is asking a lot. I'm thinking next year for him.

You make a very good point about pass pro. But, that is the exact skillset that got Ballage drafted, so he is likely being targeted for a 3rd down pass pro/receiving role and becoming a core special teamer.

I get that you’re saying Amendola/Wilson will fill in and the offense will run just as well. But it doesn’t mean Landry won’t be missed. RTs impact can be heightened by Landry or worsened by Amendola/Wilson. Not sure how to measure the difference in offensive production with different variables. Will either have as good yac? Because Landry was one of the top WRs in that statistic. Will either score 9 TDs? As many catches, first downs or combined yards? I’d be willing to bet those two players combined don’t replace Landry’s 2017 stats.

Parker, Stills and Drake will be RTs 3 most productive targets. I realize the expectation is that combined, all their weapons will cover what Landry et al did last year. However, while you say they’re more well rounded, I say they’re more diluted.

While its true Landry had a very high YAC #,(7th in NFL) you fail to mention that the only 6 players ahead of him were ALL RUNNING BACKS.... I think this speaks volumes to the fact that we were throwing it to him so close to the line of scrimmage that he was guaranteed to get YAC on every reception....

The next closest receiver in YAC? Julio Jones.... however these next numbers show exactly why many informed fans believe Landry won't be missed very much, and DEFINITELY wasnt worth the money he wanted.

Landry yards per catch - 8.8
Jones yards per catch - 16.4

Landry total yards - 987
Jones total yards - 1444

Landry YPG - 61.7
Jones YPG -90.3

Landry just wasn't all that efficient of a receiver.....Consistent sure, but he also had a whopping ZERO 100yd games for the year and never really dominated a single game....Yet he wanted the same type of money as Jones and others... I'll pass on that every time and glad the team did as well

If Landry would have checked his ego just a tinyyyyy bit and accepted a contract closer to his actual value, Id be happy to have him as a Dolphin....In reality though he demanded way too much money. (Cleveland will regret paying him that much) I highly doubt a more successful/smart team would have paid him anywhere near that.

He also took some completely unnecessary parting shots at both Tannehill and the Dolphins organization....for what reason exactly? Because we didn't want to pay him what 1-31 historically bad Cleveland paid him?

Anyone defending Landry after that is bordering on delusional....the parting shots were a complete joke and showed how immature he still is.

If Landry would have checked his ego just a tinyyyyy bit and accepted a contract closer to his actual value, Id be happy to have him as a Dolphin....In reality though he demanded way too much money. (Cleveland will regret paying him that much) I highly doubt a more successful/smart team would have paid him anywhere near that.

He also took some completely unnecessary parting shots at both Tannehill and the Dolphins organization....for what reason exactly? Because we didn't want to pay him what 1-31 historically bad Cleveland paid him?

Anyone defending Landry after that is bordering on delusional....the parting shots were a complete joke and showed how immature he still is.

I watched the interviews and His words didn’t bother me the way media and fans have taken it. The questions were aimed at pulling something out of him. He didn’t have to say he never had a good relationship with RT, but I’m sure he took it personal, as did Miami. Both sides have said things they could have said better. Gase shouldn’t have called him an embarrassment. Even if the case, it wasn’t savy business sense and it wasn’t good for his trade value.

Which it shouldn’t have been said because he got shoved in the neck first. Gase should have been more mature instead of reacting, watched the film closer before making any comments and then defended him once he saw Poyer shove him first.

Back
Top Bottom