The Miami Dolphins Are A 10 Win Team And Here Is Why | Page 17 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Miami Dolphins Are A 10 Win Team And Here Is Why

My biggest worry was originally the DT spots but I have a feeling Godchaux is going to break out this year. I have been following him this off-season. He has been training at a reputable facility. I think it's the one in Sarasota but cannot remember the name. He has been working on his conditioning and strength and looks like a beast. He's in great shape and is visibly bigger than last year.

Unfortunately I can't say the same about Jordan Phillips. I just don't know that he has the right attitude to be successful in this league. Sure, he will flash at times but that's been his M.O. since he got here. He will never be great until he dedicates himself in the off-season. I saw an interview with him recently and he just looks soft.... Hardly any muscle definition at all. I hope I am wrong about him but Akeem Spence is an adequate player.

Hopefully the offense can help the run defense so they can finally play with a lead. I would not be surprised to see a late addition to the DT spot when someone gets cut.

I like that this thread keeps popping up to the top. Here's what I keep coming back to this year:

This schedule might be a lot easier than it looks.

Of the 16 games this year? Nine of them are potentially against a rookie QB or a new head coach.

Yes, I know the division games are always tougher than they look before the season. But look *close* at the Bills and the jets. Where are their weapons? Kelvin Benjamin and Zay Jones starting for the Bills? Robby Anderson, Jermaine Kearse, and Quincy for the Jets? And are the Jets going to have ANY sort of pass rush this year? I just don't see them doing well at all in 2018. There's more stuff; the Raiders traveling east on the second leg of a road trip after playing the Broncos, the Fins only have ONE road trip with back-to-back weekends on the road, the Pats come to Miami in between hosting the Vikings and traveling to Pittsburgh...almost every game has a little something like that where I think, "you know, if the Dolphins play half-decent, they could easily win that game."

Three wins, my ass.

I like that this thread keeps popping up to the top. Here's what I keep coming back to this year:

This schedule might be a lot easier than it looks.

Of the 16 games this year? Nine of them are potentially against a rookie QB or a new head coach.

Yes, I know the division games are always tougher than they look before the season. But look *close* at the Bills and the jets. Where are their weapons? Kelvin Benjamin and Zay Jones starting for the Bills? Robby Anderson, Jermaine Kearse, and Quincy for the Jets? And are the Jets going to have ANY sort of pass rush this year? I just don't see them doing well at all in 2018. There's more stuff; the Raiders traveling east on the second leg of a road trip after playing the Broncos, the Fins only have ONE road trip with back-to-back weekends on the road, the Pats come to Miami in between hosting the Vikings and traveling to Pittsburgh...almost every game has a little something like that where I think, "you know, if the Dolphins play half-decent, they could easily win that game."

Three wins, my ***.

Are any of our WRs notably better than Benjamin? Who's our top receiver? Parker? Stills? Has either of them produced a better best season than Benjamin?

I know we like to think we're full of weapons, but I'd guarantee Bills & Jets fans are writing similar things about our WR room.

While its true Landry had a very high YAC #,(7th in NFL) you fail to mention that the only 6 players ahead of him were ALL RUNNING BACKS.... I think this speaks volumes to the fact that we were throwing it to him so close to the line of scrimmage that he was guaranteed to get YAC on every reception....

The next closest receiver in YAC? Julio Jones.... however these next numbers show exactly why many informed fans believe Landry won't be missed very much, and DEFINITELY wasnt worth the money he wanted.

Landry yards per catch - 8.8
Jones yards per catch - 16.4

Landry total yards - 987
Jones total yards - 1444

Landry YPG - 61.7
Jones YPG -90.3

Landry just wasn't all that efficient of a receiver.....Consistent sure, but he also had a whopping ZERO 100yd games for the year and never really dominated a single game....Yet he wanted the same type of money as Jones and others... I'll pass on that every time and glad the team did as well

So he was the highest WR? OK, so from there you’re comparing him to one of the best in the league in Julio Jones. Who was used very differently than Landry. IMHO, Landry isn’t worth 15mil, but he’s worth 13-14mil. Sounds like Miami was willing to pay around 13mil. Which is cheap compared to Allen Robinson and Sammy Watkins who got more than that and have missed a lot of time.

So if you, Randy (see what I did there?) are willing to pay him in that neck of the woods, then why not make the extra effort to find a middle ground? Maybe it’s 14.1mil... surely they can make that work within the cap. Which puts him in the Alshon Jeffrey- Devante Adams range.

So he was the highest WR? OK, so from there you’re comparing him to one of the best in the league in Julio Jones. Who was used very differently than Landry. IMHO, Landry isn’t worth 15mil, but he’s worth 13-14mil. Sounds like Miami was willing to pay around 13mil. Which is cheap compared to Allen Robinson and Sammy Watkins who got more than that and have missed a lot of time.

So if you, Randy (see what I did there?) are willing to pay him in that neck of the woods, then why not make the extra effort to find a middle ground? Maybe it’s 14.1mil... surely they can make that work within the cap. Which puts him in the Alshon Jeffrey- Devante Adams range.
Jahn- they really didn't want him

Are any of our WRs notably better than Benjamin? Who's our top receiver? Parker? Stills? Has either of them produced a better best season than Benjamin?

I know we like to think we're full of weapons, but I'd guarantee Bills & Jets fans are writing similar things about our WR room.

Compare Kenny Stills to Benjamin the past two years and tell me which one you'd want. Benjamin has regressed every year, and Stills has improved. And yes, I know they're two completely different WRs. If you want to look further, Benjamin *barely* outproduced DeVante Parker last year.

My point is that the Bills WR corp is...thin. At best. And they're going to have either a rookie who needs development, AJ McCarron, or Nathan Peterman throwing to them.

Pouncey's pass blocking statitsics were inflated by Miami's quick short passing game. Cutler was always looking for for the outlet receiver and rarely stood long in the pocket to find a receiver deep. Of course you are just going to ignore this. It is ok when he is struggling with the Chargers we will come back to these posts.

Can we come back to this yet?!?? Lol

F01E1709-D4C1-425B-85E5-4FCDA5349721.jpeg

Little redemption:

CC284006-E874-47E9-B161-8EDF11A8D87B.png

Can we come back to this yet?!?? Lol

View attachment 14001

Little redemption:

View attachment 14002

Finheaven hates Pouncey, there is biased there. Did anyone really think Kilgore, a guy the 9ers were dying to move on from, would be better? I thought there could be an uptick in Pouncey's play because he was a full year removed from the most recent hip injury. Still not sure he's worth the extra money and the Swansen signing may be the bail out. I'd love to see Swansen's PFF grade, can you add it?

Finheaven hates Pouncey, there is biased there. Did anyone really think Kilgore, a guy the 9ers were dying to move on from, would be better? I thought there could be an uptick in Pouncey's play because he was a full year removed from the most recent hip injury. Still not sure he's worth the extra money and the Swansen signing may be the bail out. I'd love to see Swansen's PFF grade, can you add it?

Swanson is in the 12-15 range. Not bad, certainly not a liability. Which is all I hope for. If the guards were there too then RT would be fine.

8C678A89-A84E-442B-9263-00633978170B.png

Dolphins coaches looked at 2017 tape and decided Pouncey wasn't worth the money he was getting paid or the risk of another hip injury, also seeing Tunsil having trouble at left tackle they decided they wanted to get him so help, so they asked Pouncey to take a pay cut he balked and said he wanted a raise or his release. No one has a crystal ball and everyone knew that Kilgore was not the up to par with the old Pouncey, hip is a degenerative disease so It seemed like a safe bet. It didn't actually work out the way they had hoped with both Kilgore and Sitton out for the year and Pouncey still playing and at a high level but the logic was sound.

Dolphins offensive line is playing good, barring an injury to one of the tackles
Why Sam young was released then picked back up? his poor play led to the downfall in the Cincinnati game, Dolphins were up 17-0 until he came in

JohnDao you really don't sound like a Dolphin fan to me - you were off on Jarvis - Amendola/Wilson so you switch your to dissention to Pouncey

When Pouncey does go down it will more than likely be for good.....he will need a hip replacement

Some here are/were over the top on the Pouncey hate. He was always a decent player, sometimes great. Maybe not a good leader or role model but blame the team for not getter better ones. The key for Pouncey was keeping him healthy and this year he's been just that. How long? Who knows but I've always been in the "better a year early" camp, especially with a solid replacement in the fold

Can we also revisit our Landry debate in this very thread?

Dolphins made the right decision with Landry when you factor in who we had behind him, the signing of Wilson and price.

Sure, but let’s start with his 10 catch, 97 yard 1Td game. If Parker were the man then Stills, Wilson, Amendola, Grant would be nice playmaking/depth pieces. Amendola had a nice game; with Wilson and Stills on the shelf for some of the game.

My point is and always has been two fold: that the fins lack talent and it’s a bad strategy to move away from young, homegrown, reliable and productive talent. They’re sitting on the cap space to have signed Landry and they overpaid other players who are mediocre at best and far less reliable.

They flash at times because they found some playmakers on offense, but they lack the overall depth and high end talent to be consistent moving the football. Landry is a chain mover. He helps keeps drives alive. Pepper in the big plays and this offense is better today than 2017.

I had also said this fanbase would be screaming for a true number 1 WR before the season ended. Either wanting to draft one or get one through free agency. And here we are, already wishing we had one.

Maybe a little more this then that.

DL is somewhat known, not sure if it was better with Suh, since we weren't top 10 run stop. We're have to see how they them. As far as DE, isn't Wake still here?, Quinn had 8 1/2 sacks from his LBer position last year, now he can hunt full time. So it's possible for one of those two to get double digit sacks if not both. Our 1st round pick from last year may improve and Hayes and Andre aren't bad.

True

Landry was not a true #1 receiver, he was the #1 targeted receiver. Basically playing the blanket of a TE and Slot. Think back over the years, our slot receivers have done pretty good, making up for not having a real good TE.

Wasn't Kilgore on the field last year G was killing it for his new contract. That was Kilgore at center correct, SF did resign him if I'm not mistaken. Just don't think he's a downgrade. We know what the rest of this group can do. The only one we haven't had was Sitton, so other than James being out the last 8 games, Drake was running behind these guys for the league leading rush job at the end correct? Now some who were there are back ups. Not a bad place to be in.

wasn't Drake a difference maker once he was the starter? Just sayin, he beat out all those guys you named in the last 5-6 games if I remember correctly. Gore, HOF, looked pretty good last year. If our OL remain as good as they were at the end of last year, then I can see him having a very successful 2018 campaign, and our rookie, agreed, unknown.

Who knows some rooks show their stuff from the get go, others need a year or two. I really thought Gray should have played more last year, especially when Thomas wasn't showing much. Gray had a pretty good 2016, so I couldn't understand why they didn't use him more last year. When he did get in, he played pretty good. At least he has chemistry with Tannehill..we'll see.

Agree, we should compare our team to those we're going to play. But if you don't have hope, you have nothing. It's not about strategy for the fan, its supporting your team and HOPING they've done enough to be better this year. The strategy is at the GM/coaches level.

How’s hope working out for you? Offense has no weapon at WR/TE. OL didn’t last long at all. Been one of my issues with TBomb bringing in aging starters. DT and DE very mediocre at best. Quinn not panning out as I posted. Kiko playing better with support as I expected. Secondary inconsistent, but Howard and Fitz look dominant at times with playmaking ability. Fitz making rookie mistakes but will be fine. Personnel more than coaching is the main issue although Burke has to go for sure and Gase play calling been bad at crucial times.

Back
Top Bottom