The Miami Dolphins Are A 10 Win Team And Here Is Why | Page 18 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Miami Dolphins Are A 10 Win Team And Here Is Why

Pouncy having a great season in LAC

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LandJa00.htm

60 Catches 630 yards 2TDs 10.5 yards per catch. Yeah this is the guy you thought was a #1 receiver. A guy making 15+ mil per year. He is averaging under 58 yards per game and .18 TDs per game. Just what many said he was. An average slot receiver with no game breaking ability who will average about 10 yards per catch. Only an idiot would pay that guy top 5 WR money.

How is that working out for you?

Last edited:
Can we also revisit our Landry debate in this very thread?

Dolphins made the right decision with Landry when you factor in who we had behind him, the signing of Wilson and price.

This guy was wrong about Landry while he was right about Pouncey who has magically been able to stay completely healthy for the first time in his career. Then he is gloating about all the injuries the Dolphins have endured this season. What an awesome fan.

Gase's play calling has sucked but those blaming Gase's play calling for Landry's lack of big plays and measly average per catch are looking like they were completely wrong. Landry is what most of us thought he was. A tough slot WR, who is not a true #1 and definitely not worth 15mil per year. Gloating about the Dolphins injuries to players like Wilson, Grant and whoever else isn't going to change the type of player that Landry is in this league.

Here's why:

Because Dolphin fans are always hyped on their squad in the summer. I've heard we're gonna be a 10+ win team every year for the past... every single year I've been on this board. The year we went 1-15 people were saying 9-7 haha.
Because everyone overrates the team in the spring. Part of it is because some players are good at practice but not when the pads come on they suck. Or they only look good in practice because they’re practicing against other scrubs.

That leads to fans thinking Miami can be a 10 win team based on a bunch of ifs:

If Tannehill takes the next step
If the O-line plays above average consistently
If Drake plays like he did last 5 games last season
If Parker becomes an alpha WR
If Mcmillian becomes a stud LB
If Jordan Philips has a breakthrough
If Harris plays like his draft status
If tank steps up to be the #2 corner
If injuries are few
If Gesicki becomes a red zone threat.
If branch earns his contract
If wake avoids Father Time

All that is highly unrealistic individually let alone all of that becoming true in one season at the same time. That never happens for any team ever.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LandJa00.htm

60 Catches 630 yards 2TDs 10.5 yards per catch. Yeah this is the guy you thought was a #1 receiver. A guy making 15+ mil per year. He is averaging under 58 yards per game and .18 TDs per game. Just what many said he was. An average slot receiver with no game breaking ability who will average about 10 yards per catch. Only an idiot would pay that guy top 5 WR money.

How is that working out for you?

Said top slot WR. Never said WR1...how’s the alternatives working for Miami? Point has always been that they pay all this money on the alternatives instead of players that are young, reliable and one of the best at their position. Who knows what he’d be doing in Miami....Cleveland isn’t using him the same way either.

Who on Miami is on pace for 90 catches and 1,000 yards? I’ll take that for a player not even being used like Miami would be.

Last edited:
Said top slot WR. Never said WR1...how’s the alternatives working for Miami? Point has always been that they pay all this money on the alternatives instead of players that are young, reliable and one of the best at their position. Who knows what he’d be doing in Miami....Cleveland isn’t using him the same way either.

Cleveland isn't using him much because he is a limited player. Paying Landry 15 mil/year would just be another bad contract for the Dolphins. How do we know the Dolphins would be any better with Landry instead of who they have now. They probably lose to the Bears and Raiders if they had Landry instead of Wilson. Whose to say Pouncey would still be healthy had he stayed with the Dolphins? With the insane amount of injuries the Dolphins have had this year and Pouncey's injury history, do you really think he wouldn't have turned into another casualty bound for IR if he was still with the Dolphins?

Cleveland isn't using him much because he is a limited player. Paying Landry 15 mil/year would just be another bad contract for the Dolphins. How do we know the Dolphins would be any better with Landry instead of who they have now. They probably lose to the Bears and Raiders if they had Landry instead of Wilson. Whose to say Pouncey would still be healthy had he stayed with the Dolphins? With the insane amount of injuries the Dolphins have had this year and Pouncey's injury history, do you really think he wouldn't have turned into another casualty bound for IR if he was still with the Dolphins?

Pouncy played all 16 games in 2017...so yes, I’d keep him over the alternatives.

I know this for sure, Miami put together a mediocre team again. Their strategy/process for personnel is flawed and needs to change. I pointed out all my reasons for why I felt they’d be mediocre again. The fanatics in here got angry and defensive about it. Miami spent their money terribly regardless what you think is right. Can only put blame on the players and coaches there now. But letting go of quality players is part of the problem.

And yes, I’d have paid Landry 15 mil per (probably got him for 14, but they wanted him for 13) to play 16 games, 90+ catches and 1,000 yards because they downgraded and got worse overall while paying out similar money. Not saying that’s fair market value for production. 13 probably the right number but 1-2 mil more to build a playoff team is the correct overall strategy.

Last edited:
Pouncey is having a great year in LA while Kilgore is on IR. Swanson is an average Center at best. Time to draft another Center. Still have my doubts that Pouncey's hips will hold up for the entire season but we will see. Sitton has been on IR for most of the season. Time for the team to invest in some young OGs as well.

Drake has had a disappointing year, while Gore has been solid.Overall the running game has been disappointing. Ajayi is on IR for the Eagles and his NFL career may be in doubt. Ballage hasn't done much. Might be time to invest in another RB to replace Gore when he retires.

Landry has been an average slot WR for the Browns. Wilson was having a good year while showing great big play making ability. Of course he got hurt and is now on IR. Danny Amendola has had an average season. His numbers are not as good as Landry's but if you factor in Wilson's play before he got hurt combined they have produced more than what the Browns have gotten from Landry and for less money.

The team is at 5-6 and whether people want to admit it or not injuries have really hurt the team. They should have beaten the Bengals and Colts. If this team had Tannehill, Wilson, Sitton, and Hayes healthy for all 11 games, IMO they would be sitting at 8-3 right now. Of course injuries are a part of the game. Gase's play calling cost the team the Colts game. Burke's scheme and game planning has cost the team more than one game.

Some fans are enjoying gloating because they predicted the team to fail this season. However how much better would this team actually be with Landry, Pouncey and Ajayi? IMO really not much better than they are now. You can't predict injuries and can't say guys who left would have stayed healthy or been hurt had they stayed.

The two biggest disappointments for me this year have been Tannehill's injury and Gase's play calling. Gase needs to bring in competition for Tannehill in 2019 despite Tannehill's cap hit. Gase also needs to hire a real offensive coordinator and new defensive coordinator. Get rid of Tannenbaum because he really serves no purpose. Let Grier continue to run the draft with a contingency that he hire some scouts who specialize in identifying offensive line talent.

Because everyone overrates the team in the spring. Part of it is because some players are good at practice but not when the pads come on they suck. Or they only look good in practice because they’re practicing against other scrubs.

That leads to fans thinking Miami can be a 10 win team based on a bunch of ifs:

If Tannehill takes the next step
If the O-line plays above average consistently
If Drake plays like he did last 5 games last season
If Parker becomes an alpha WR
If Mcmillian becomes a stud LB
If Jordan Philips has a breakthrough
If Harris plays like his draft status
If tank steps up to be the #2 corner
If injuries are few
If Gesicki becomes a red zone threat.
If branch earns his contract
If wake avoids Father Time

All that is highly unrealistic individually let alone all of that becoming true in one season at the same time. That never happens for any team ever.

'everyone' overrated Gase. I'll say it again . . . put above average HC, OC, DC in Miami and few will argue they're 7-4. And that's WITH injuries. And 7-4 is in reach of 10 wins for the season. If you give prognosticators a 1 win variance (9-7 to 11-5), predicting 10 wins wasn't far off. And that includes no 'if's' for players playing lights out (e.g., Parker becomes an alpha WR). There are still holes, but no reasonable person can say Miami has no talent.

Who on Miami is on pace for 90 catches and 1,000 yards? I’ll take that for a player not even being used like Miami would be.
Like Albert Wilson?

No no no no no no no no

I don’t like many of the calls or usage either but overall, this team lacks talent to be more than 8-8. With all the injuries, I give credit they’re keeping games as close as they are. That’s as much coaching as anything, but play calling has been an issue too.

I don’t like many of the calls or usage either but overall, this team lacks talent to be more than 8-8. With all the injuries, I give credit they’re keeping games as close as they are. That’s as much coaching as anything, but play calling has been an issue too.
Not sure what games you are watching. We have the 5th worst point differential in the league.

Like Albert Wilson?

I like Wilson...as a WR3 and have a few plays designed and dialed up for him. His speed is nice as a role piece. Target him a few times a game like they did, but not as a main WR paired with Amendola. They needed Parker to be a true WR1 and he’s not that.

Back
Top Bottom