The Miami Dolphins have the most horrible offensive coordinators in the league | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Miami Dolphins have the most horrible offensive coordinators in the league

Maybe but if by the end of the season they’re won 8 games or more, likely won’t be a top 15 pick for the eagles snd likely it ain’t quite as bad as you make it.

We’ll find out at the end of the season I guess.

We do need changes, 2 off coaches isn’t efficient snd HC Flo will surely deal with this in the off season. More heads may role.

I want to be able to dive deep down to the root of the cause of everything as always. And here are my first few questions that we can all do our best
to answer objectively.

1. Who's idea was to implement this play calling system?
2. Who should be held responsible for this?
3. Why isn't this working for this team?
4. Are the players a driving factor to our play calling? (ex. qb that starts)
5. Would an elite qb change the execution of our Offense?
seth meyers wow GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

They look like two dudes who play a bunch of Madden on PlayStation but have never actually stepped foot on a NFL field.
might look like it, but 30 years (in Studesville's case), after playing Defensive Back in College:

Coaching career​

Studesville began his coaching career in 1991 being the Assistant Graduate Coach for the University of Arizona. In 1992 Studesville became the video coordinator for the University of North Carolina where he would work with the secondary coach until the end of the 1993 season. in 1994 Studesville became the defensive coordinator for Wingate University where his defense would allow only 15.7 points a game and help the bulldogs have an 8-2 record in the regular season and make it to the third round of the playoffs. In 1995, Studesville became the defensive coordinator for Kent State University where he would remain the defensive coordinator until the end of the 1996 season. In 1997, Studesville became an NFL coach for the Chicago Bears as a quality control coach. He would remain in Chicago until the end of the 2000 season.

2001-2003​

In 2001, Studesville was hired as the New York Giants running backs coach. There, he guided running back Tiki Barber to three consecutive 1,000 yard rushing seasons and paved the way for Barber to become one of the best offensive weapons for the Giants in the coming years. In 2002, Barber recorded 1,554 rushing yards which was not only a career high for the running back, but the second-most total in Giants franchise history.

2004–2009​

After a coaching change with the Giants in 2004 he joined the Buffalo Bills coaching staff as the running backs coach under offensive coordinator Tom Clements. The Bills would finish the season 9-7, their last winning record until the 2014 season, by scoring 24.6 points a game, with Bills running backs 13th in the NFL in rushing.[3] Studesville is largely given credit for the emergence of Willis McGahee, who, after recovering from a catastrophic knee injury sustained in college, gained 1297 yards from scrimmage. In 2005, the running game was the main highlight of an otherwise stagnant team led by journeyman Kelly Holcomb and 2nd year quarterback J. P. Losman, as the Bills finished 5-11 while McGahee gained 1,425 yards from scrimmage.[4] In 2006, Mularkey was fired and Dick Jauron was brought on to replace him; Jauron would keep Studesville as the team's running backs coach under offensive coordinator Steve Fairchild. After a pedestrian year for the Bills rushing attack spearheaded by Willis McGahee and Anthony Thomas in 2006 (the same year that Division III Coe College product Fred Jackson was recruited to the Bills by its then-general manager and fellow alum Marv Levy and remained on the practice squad that season), in 2007, the Bills drafted Marshawn Lynch who gained 1299 yards in his rookie season[5] under Studesville's tutelage. 2007 also saw Fred Jackson's call-up from the practice squad and emergence as a threat, as he played in 8 games and gained nearly 500 yards from scrimmage while maintaining a special teams role as well. 2008, under new offensive coordinator Turk Schonert, the Bills offense experienced a renewed commitment to its running backs and Studesville pupils Lynch and Jackson combined for 2,224 yards from scrimmage.[6] 2009 brought about an unsettled year for the Bills offense, as Turk Schonert was fired midway through training camp with former Bills quarterback and quarterbacks coach Alex Van Pelt being appointed in his stead. Studesville's charges saw a reversal of fortunes, as Lynch experienced injuries and off-the-field troubles leading to a suspension,[7] and Fred Jackson led the way with 1,433 yards from scrimmage as they combined for a total of 2,062 between Jackson and Lynch. Head coach Dick Jauron was fired midway through the season and replaced by interim head coach Perry Fewell for the remainder of the season. The entire Bills staff was let go following the 2009 season.

2010–2019​

In January 2010, Studesville was hired by the Denver Broncos as the running backs coach.[8]

On December 6, 2010, then-Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels was fired by owner Pat Bowlen and Studesville was named the interim head coach in his place.[9] However, the choice of Studesville to replace McDaniels was viewed by some as a surprise. Studesville held the interim head coaching position for the final four games of the 2010 season, during which the team went 1-3, and Studesville started rookie Tim Tebow in weeks 15-17. Studesville recorded his first win as a head coach on December 26, 2010, when the Broncos defeated the Houston Texans 24-23. He remained on the Broncos coaching staff during the tenures of John Fox and Gary Kubiak.

On February 7, 2016, Studesville was part of the Broncos coaching staff that won Super Bowl 50. In the game, the Broncos defeated the Carolina Panthers by a score of 24–10.[10]

On January 1, 2018, Studesville was released by the Denver Broncos.[11]

Studesville had retained his position as running backs coach under four different head coaches: Josh McDaniels, John Fox, Gary Kubiak, and Vance Joseph.

On January 17, 2018, the Miami Dolphins hired Studesville as running backs coach.[12] The team announced on February 8, 2019, that they were retaining Studesville as the team's running backs coach despite the firing of Adam Gase as head coach and the hiring of Brian Flores in that role.[13] Studesville received an additional title of co-offensive coordinator on March 11, 2021.[14]

It's a fair question, but again I'll say it's tough to evaluate the OC'S.

The offensive line is ranked 32nd, last in the NFL. Tua is pressured on short drops. Hence, limiting deep opportunities. The run game struggles in most games.

I haven't liked a lot of what I've seen on offense, but I did think the game plan against the Jets was pretty sound.

My feeling is it's mostly the offensive line coach.

But, I would like to see Miami roll Tua out to possibly create some big play opportunities. Also, Waddle needs to run some deeper routes. Finally, design some runs to the edges. Everything seems to go up the middle.

The offensive line is ranked 32nd, last in the NFL. Tua is pressured on short drops. Hence, limiting deep opportunities. The run game struggles in most games.

I haven't liked a lot of what I've seen on offense, but I did think the game plan against the Jets was pretty sound.

But, I would like to see Miami roll Tua out to possibly create some big play opportunities. Also, Waddle needs to run some deeper routes. Finally, design some runs to the edges. Everything seems to go up the middle.
here is the recipe so far this season:

1) we can't protect Tua, so whatever you do, never fall behind the sticks.

2) we can't run effectively, so you are always behind the sticks.

3) Godsey and Studesville and Frye and Flores:...

I get the roll out suggestions. It can buy the QB some time, but when you do that you also take half the field away, both for Tua and what the opposition has to defend.

In other words, It's something to consider at times, but there are disadvantages that go along with it.

It's also not something that lends itself to audibles, as the tackle and gaurd to the "roll side" have to "set" a completely different way. I don't think they trust the line that far to make a habit of it.

might look like it, but 30 years (in Studesville's case), after playing Defensive Back in College:

Coaching career​

Studesville began his coaching career in 1991 being the Assistant Graduate Coach for the University of Arizona. In 1992 Studesville became the video coordinator for the University of North Carolina where he would work with the secondary coach until the end of the 1993 season. in 1994 Studesville became the defensive coordinator for Wingate University where his defense would allow only 15.7 points a game and help the bulldogs have an 8-2 record in the regular season and make it to the third round of the playoffs. In 1995, Studesville became the defensive coordinator for Kent State University where he would remain the defensive coordinator until the end of the 1996 season. In 1997, Studesville became an NFL coach for the Chicago Bears as a quality control coach. He would remain in Chicago until the end of the 2000 season.

2001-2003​

In 2001, Studesville was hired as the New York Giants running backs coach. There, he guided running back Tiki Barber to three consecutive 1,000 yard rushing seasons and paved the way for Barber to become one of the best offensive weapons for the Giants in the coming years. In 2002, Barber recorded 1,554 rushing yards which was not only a career high for the running back, but the second-most total in Giants franchise history.

2004–2009​

After a coaching change with the Giants in 2004 he joined the Buffalo Bills coaching staff as the running backs coach under offensive coordinator Tom Clements. The Bills would finish the season 9-7, their last winning record until the 2014 season, by scoring 24.6 points a game, with Bills running backs 13th in the NFL in rushing.[3] Studesville is largely given credit for the emergence of Willis McGahee, who, after recovering from a catastrophic knee injury sustained in college, gained 1297 yards from scrimmage. In 2005, the running game was the main highlight of an otherwise stagnant team led by journeyman Kelly Holcomb and 2nd year quarterback J. P. Losman, as the Bills finished 5-11 while McGahee gained 1,425 yards from scrimmage.[4] In 2006, Mularkey was fired and Dick Jauron was brought on to replace him; Jauron would keep Studesville as the team's running backs coach under offensive coordinator Steve Fairchild. After a pedestrian year for the Bills rushing attack spearheaded by Willis McGahee and Anthony Thomas in 2006 (the same year that Division III Coe College product Fred Jackson was recruited to the Bills by its then-general manager and fellow alum Marv Levy and remained on the practice squad that season), in 2007, the Bills drafted Marshawn Lynch who gained 1299 yards in his rookie season[5] under Studesville's tutelage. 2007 also saw Fred Jackson's call-up from the practice squad and emergence as a threat, as he played in 8 games and gained nearly 500 yards from scrimmage while maintaining a special teams role as well. 2008, under new offensive coordinator Turk Schonert, the Bills offense experienced a renewed commitment to its running backs and Studesville pupils Lynch and Jackson combined for 2,224 yards from scrimmage.[6] 2009 brought about an unsettled year for the Bills offense, as Turk Schonert was fired midway through training camp with former Bills quarterback and quarterbacks coach Alex Van Pelt being appointed in his stead. Studesville's charges saw a reversal of fortunes, as Lynch experienced injuries and off-the-field troubles leading to a suspension,[7] and Fred Jackson led the way with 1,433 yards from scrimmage as they combined for a total of 2,062 between Jackson and Lynch. Head coach Dick Jauron was fired midway through the season and replaced by interim head coach Perry Fewell for the remainder of the season. The entire Bills staff was let go following the 2009 season.

2010–2019​

In January 2010, Studesville was hired by the Denver Broncos as the running backs coach.[8]

On December 6, 2010, then-Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels was fired by owner Pat Bowlen and Studesville was named the interim head coach in his place.[9] However, the choice of Studesville to replace McDaniels was viewed by some as a surprise. Studesville held the interim head coaching position for the final four games of the 2010 season, during which the team went 1-3, and Studesville started rookie Tim Tebow in weeks 15-17. Studesville recorded his first win as a head coach on December 26, 2010, when the Broncos defeated the Houston Texans 24-23. He remained on the Broncos coaching staff during the tenures of John Fox and Gary Kubiak.

On February 7, 2016, Studesville was part of the Broncos coaching staff that won Super Bowl 50. In the game, the Broncos defeated the Carolina Panthers by a score of 24–10.[10]

On January 1, 2018, Studesville was released by the Denver Broncos.[11]

Studesville had retained his position as running backs coach under four different head coaches: Josh McDaniels, John Fox, Gary Kubiak, and Vance Joseph.

On January 17, 2018, the Miami Dolphins hired Studesville as running backs coach.[12] The team announced on February 8, 2019, that they were retaining Studesville as the team's running backs coach despite the firing of Adam Gase as head coach and the hiring of Brian Flores in that role.[13] Studesville received an additional title of co-offensive coordinator on March 11, 2021.[14]
Was hoping for the best but those guys are just not getting it done along with their Boss...No accountability in Miami that we know of either which also leaves fans feeling empty at the end of 7 game losing streaks. They need a culture change and its long over due.

Was hoping for the best but those guys are just not getting it done along with their Boss...No accountability in Miami that we know of either which also leaves fans feeling empty at the end of 7 game losing streaks. They need a culture change and its long over due.
I'm no expert, but the offensive scheme and play calling would likely be successful with a run game and pass blocking.

I get the roll out suggestions. It can buy the QB some time, but when you do that you also take half the field away, both for Tua and what the opposition has to defend.

In other words, It's something to consider at times, but there are disadvantages that go along with it.

It's also not something that lends itself to audibles, as the tackle and gaurd to the "roll side" have to "set" a completely different way. I don't think they trust the line that far to make a habit of it.
True. I'm sure trusting the line is part of the reason we haven't seen it.

Don't know if it's an advantage, but being a rare lefthanded quarterback teams aren't defending the same "half" of the field they are used to.

Until u have a legit OL coach and OL then we will never truly know what the co-coordinators can do. You listen to the coaches speak and they constantly say "there were plays there to b made" but this went wrong and that went wrong.
The coordinators will fight for their jobs saying if the OL could give more than 1 sec then there r plays there. Buckle up, we r gonna get another year of this experiment, just plz bring in a Veteran OL coach and a couple really good Vet Olineman.

George Godsey and Eric Studesville. Looking for employment Jan 10th, hopefully.

I highly doubt it. The reason we got to this point is because Flores has treated OC as the professor of dark arts. No one with options is going to consider it if he cans Godsey this offseason.

The rumor i've heard was Dorsey was actually offered but chose to stay away after talking it through with some people, Dorsey and Charlie Frye are close.

Maybe that changes this offseason if Daboll isn't hired as a HC.

Back
Top Bottom