The Miami Dolphins Need A Big Year From Pass-rusher Charles Harris | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Miami Dolphins Need A Big Year From Pass-rusher Charles Harris

I don't know if Harris is the man or not... I do know he isn't the only player that hasn't lived up to his billing... It's easy to cherry pick a player and point out his flaws but I truly believe our issues across the board is poor leadership (coaching teaching and holding accountable) is the root cause of our issues....

How motivated can a man be when the coaches are ego maniacs and the schemes don't work day after day... week after week...season after season... If the student isn't learning then (in most cases) the teacher isn't teaching IMO... most of these players didn't get to the NFL by being a "JAG"..... they have skills and the coaches need to identify these skills (hopefully that's why the player is on a team) and scheme around the player... take advantage of their skill set... game plan with this in mind

My hope is we finally got it right with this staff and players like Harris will have an opportunity to really showcase their skill... players can "step it up" all they like but if the team is constantly breaking down around you it can wear out your "want to"...

It would be super cool if the offense could manage drives that allow the defense to rest a bit

Correct. Pick any top pass rusher in the NFL, put them in Burke's D and convince me they'd be just as dangerous.

I am probably very wrong, but i just have a feeling Harris in a 3-4, will be much more consistent as a pass-rusher.

As mentioned, we absolutely need him to turn it around, or this year will be uglier then it should be.

This team has talent, and could be far more competitive then people think, but players are going to have to show up.

The kid should know his pro football career hinges on making an impact
NOW and should be working his a$$ off to get 'er done!

Another big test for the coaching staff -- to get this dude playing ball
at a level somewhere near his draft position status -- like an R1
as opposed to an R7.

The kid should know his pro football career hinges on making an impact
NOW and should be working his a$$ off to get 'er done!

Another big test for the coaching staff -- to get this dude playing ball
at a level somewhere near his draft position status -- like an R1
as opposed to an R7.

I agree, but I'll add a caveat. There are a number of players who seem to have the talent to excel in the NFL, but, for some reason, never have. The good news is I expect a the coaching staff to get that 'potential' out of a few players. The bad news is they won't get it out of ALL of those players. I hope Harris is one of them.

I agree, but I'll add a caveat. There are a number of players who seem to have the talent to excel in the NFL, but, for some reason, never have. The good news is I expect a the coaching staff to get that 'potential' out of a few players. The bad news is they won't get it out of ALL of those players. I hope Harris is one of them.

And therein is the hope:

We finally got decent coaches.

If we didn’t, no matter what players we have will make a difference.

I didn’t think he would prove to be worth his draft stock at def end coming when he came out, hopefully standing up he gets to see the game from a better perspective, maybe it will help.

At def end he gets tunnel vision..does not use his hands and eyes harmoniously like the coaches stated they want to see in their front 7 players.

I love how everyone continues to make excuses for Harris.

Tip, hes undersized and has one move, with zero ability to get off his blocks.

I don't see a lot of ppl making "excuses". Lack of quality coaching has been a reality that hasn't done Harris any favors. It not the reason for his failure to become a front line pass rusher.

He just doesn't have the tools, nor the "motor", IMO.

I think many are just looking for some improvement, and hoping for the best.

Unfortunately, we don't have a lot to pin our hopes on for a good pass rush this year.

I'm not certain we disagree or not. Certainly you're not saying no player could improve with better coaching, right? If you disagree, with that, I disagree with you. If you agree with that, all everyone is saying is he could improve with better coaching. Not All-Pro - just improve.

I'm not certain we disagree or not. Certainly you're not saying no player could improve with better coaching, right? If you disagree, with that, I disagree with you. If you agree with that, all everyone is saying is he could improve with better coaching. Not All-Pro - just improve.
Good coaching can certainly elevate individual players, and good scheme/gameplans can make an even bigger impact, collectively.

Even with that being the case, aside from hand use, leverage, etc techniques, pass rushing, unlike some other defensive positions, is about will, desire, and who wants "it" more, when it's a one on one situation.

Good coaching can certainly elevate individual players, and good scheme/gameplans can make an even bigger impact, collectively.

Even with that being the case, aside from hand use, leverage, etc techniques, pass rushing, unlike some other defensive positions, is about will, desire, and who wants "it" more, when it's a one on one situation.

I'll agree with that, but "good scheme/gameplans can make an even bigger impact, collectively." That was part of the logic behind Suh/Wake . . . 'someone else HAD to get to the QB.' Except it didn't happen. Part was talent level, for sure, but part was the scheme didn't take advantage of talent. I'm not arguing Harris will get 12 sacks with new coaches, but if 2-3 guys can be schemed into 5-6 each , that will be a major improvement.

"Need?" Not sure that's the right word.

We need to generate a pass rush, and our rushers are gone. The rest of the people who are left have a great opportunity for snaps, and roles in a scheme that can create a certain amount of pressure on its own. I like Charles Harris the person … but the player has been a bust. He now has an opportunity to be a hybrid DE/OLB role and be schemed into pressure. I don't know that we need him, as even if he is dominant, we're going to be a poor team. But, he needs this chance, because he's quickly headed for a marginal NFL player. Once his rookie salary is done, he's going to be pushing for league-minimum jobs unless he can prove to be a pass rusher. His run defense is already too bad to earn a roster spot. If he can't rush or cover … he's out of the league.

For Black Ice, one of our best nicknames in recent memory, this is, unfortunately, the last chance saloon for his career. We may not need him, since this is a rebuilding year for us. But he needs this success, because he may not get many more good opportunities to prove himself.

Charles Harris is a very mediocre player. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him cut before the season opener.

Back
Top Bottom