The Miami Dolphins worst football Coach Hall of Fame | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Miami Dolphins worst football Coach Hall of Fame

The Miami Dolphins worst football Coach Hall of Fame. Select your winner!

• Dave Wannstedt

• Nick Saban

• Cam Cameron

• Tony Sparano

• Joe Philbin

• Adam Gase

Results are only viewable after voting.

juniorseau55

Go Fins
Reaction score
Make your selection for worst Miami Dolphins Coach!
Coaches​
Record​
Accomplishments​
Leave more worthless feedback​
Dave Wannstedt73-422 playoffs berths, division championship, systematically destroyed the team for years giving away draft picks like grubhub coupons.
Nick Saban15-17Bailed on the franchise. Made a smart move for himself.
Cam Cameron1-15Who is this guy?
Tony Sparano
29-32Dave Wannstedt in disguise. Same porstache, same bad decision, same lame post conference quotes. Minus GM destroying skills, and minus being gifted a talented defense. We also won a division championship under Wanny Jr.
Joe Philbin24-28Looking like Mr. Burns
Adam Gase23-25Surprised he is still a head coach in the nfl.

Last edited:
Cameron was the worst coach by far but Wannstedt drove a proud, legendary franchise into the dirt for a decade. If you paid someone to destroy a franchise, his competition for highest paid would be Bill O Brien...maybe Matt Millen and his "Yes, Im drafting a WR high in the 1st round for the third straight year"

I mean on paper he really is the worst coach, but probably the one that did the less damage to the team by being here that briefly.
I agree. Cameron may have had that 1-15 record, but as I recall, Miami was somewhat competitive in most of those games. Even with a lack of talent they fought hard, and I think they were only blown out in a few games. In hindsight, there was one positive result of that season; their only win was versus the Ravens, the team that has twice knocked Miami out of the playoffs in the first round! Because of how hard they played, I'd never consider Cameron to be the worst Coach.

Cam Cameron was probably the worst but Wannstedt is my most hated coach. Wasted so much talent and turned Miami into a dumpster fire.
Naamloos-1.jpg

Phailbin for similar reasons as others have pointed out about Wannstedt.

He wasted so much talent and was here for so long.

I'm kinda sorry for Ireland during his tenure here. He had coaches who were more busy trying to make him look bad to 'gain power' than trying to win games.

Gase also started playing that game against Bum-Grier later on his tenure.

Absolute lack of leadership. Jordan would have been a monster had we had Flo when we picked him.

Last edited:
My choice is Philbin and Gase. For years I've said that Philbin was the worst thing to ever happen to the Dolphins, and then Ross hired Gase, a man who made Philbin look almost competent!

Philbin took over a tough team that could compete with top teams, but usually lost because they lacked talent at the offensive skill positions and had to settle for FGs instead of TDs. Instead of fixing that problem by adding talent, Philbin neutered a decent defense and built a "finesse" o-line that couldn't protect their QB even with several 1st round picks on it. He described his offense as being dynamic, explosive, and high-scoring. But, this short pass based offense with little to no running game was as dynamic as molasses; Philbin's teams seemed unprepared at the start of every game and usually couldn't score until nearly half-time, and by then they were behind several scores. This slow moving offense which seemed to always have the team trailing the opponent was coupled with a defense that was built to play with a lead... which they rarely ever had! Also, even when Miami wasn't very good, they usually beat the Jets and the Bills... until Philbin ruined the team. Under Philbin (and then Gase), Miami's o-lines were consistently pushed around and dominated by the d-lines of New York and Buffalo. Philbin took a team that was a few key players away from being a playoff team and ran it into the toilet. I think it was 2013 when Miami had two games left against the Bills and the Jets, and all they had to do was win one and they earn a Wild Card berth. Philbin's team went 0-2, scoring just 10 total points in those two games!

Gase, like Philbin, placed little emphasis on the running game, preferring to use RBs as receivers out of the backfield. And, instead of replacing Philbin's weak o-line, he kept it. The only thing Gase did well was to run some creative trick plays that usually worked. However, when it came to "regular" playcalling he was a complete idiot. He must have thought he was a genius, because he'd call plays with the least chance of success probably thinking that the opponent would never expect that! Gase's offense (like Philbin's offense) struggled to convert 3rd or 4th and short on the ground because his o-line was weak and couldn't block, and he loved calling those short passes. Here's a sampling of Gase's playcalling: On 3rd and 10 most teams would throw an 11 or 12 yard pass, but Gase's offense would have several receivers running 5-8 yard routes with a completion resulting in a 4th down punt. On 3rd and 20, Gase seemed to always call a run up the middle for 2 or 3 yards. On 3rd or 4th and 1, most teams can run it and get the 1st down... but not Gase. His favorite play of all in this situation was a throw to a RB or WR behind the line of scrimmage who was then immediately tackled for a loss because the o-line couldn't block anyone!

Wannested wasn't a terrible coach, although I think he was a terrible talent evaluator.
Nah... He Was bad across the board but I voted for Gase. He systemically lowered the entire franchise to the point a half-witted moron could've followed him and looked like the second coming of Shula.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom