The Miami Dolphins worst football Coach Hall of Fame | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Miami Dolphins worst football Coach Hall of Fame

The Miami Dolphins worst football Coach Hall of Fame. Select your winner!

• Dave Wannstedt

• Nick Saban

• Cam Cameron

• Tony Sparano

• Joe Philbin

• Adam Gase

Results are only viewable after voting.
To be honest with you, I added Sparano there, but I felt bad after that. He really was Wanny part two except he didn't **** up the team, and inherited a built team. As for Philbin I agree.

I late-edited a section for Sparano in my post. I don't really hold him responsible for the situation he was given. That team seemed competent with Bill Parcells behind the curtain, and there was a sense of optimism with Sparano leading the team during the second season. The turning point, unfortunately, would be that game against the Saints, I think. Leading up to that game, the Dolphins had been the victims of some 4th quarter losses to QB's capable of lighting up the score board with quick drives. Unfortunately, NFL football games are not 3 qtrs long, and Chad Henne to Ted Ginn Jr. was never a feared connection unless you were a Dolphins fan. Those interceptions were nightmare fuel... Sparano deserved better than Henne for a rookie QB. He was basically forced to accept that arrangement.

The worst was Adam wild Eyes followed by Tony S

p.s. I can't decide if Principal Joe looks more like the current NBA Commish or the farmer in American Gothic

why is Wanny even on this list? He gets a lot of flak but he won a lot of games. He just never could get us over the hump, and that likely had to do with the fact that he didnt have a QB worth a damn. wanny and our GM at the time knew we were "close" and sacrificed picks to get us there. I don't blame them that much, as a coule of those Fins teams were very good.

His win loss record was terrible but weren’t we competitive for the most part? I think I remember us losing most of our games by a FG or something like that.
Nah. Point differential was -170. Worst by far; I think Gase's 2017 or 2018 is second worst, but it's not even close.

Like some of the other posters, I can't see how this is even a competition, at least as the OP is worded. Cam was the worst Dolphins head coach. Period. End Thread. By far. If you change it to "most harmful to the franchise" or "most embarrassing" or "Biggest clown", etc., then I can see multiple other choices, sure.

why is Wanny even on this list? He gets a lot of flak but he won a lot of games. He just never could get us over the hump, and that likely had to do with the fact that he didnt have a QB worth a damn. wanny and our GM at the time knew we were "close" and sacrificed picks to get us there. I don't blame them that much, as a coule of those Fins teams were very good.
One-Wanny had GM power---Bypassed Drew Brees for Jamar Flechter...spelling?....end of story.

he destroyed a playoff team in three seasons with terrible management and no understanding of offensive football.

My vote is for Saban only because i believe he did the most damage. His inexplicable decision of choosing Culpepper over Brees in free agency still stings just as bad as the moment it happened, and then to bail on the franchise just made me hate him worse than any other hc. Wannestedt definitely is up there too because all those teams needed was an above average qb and its crazy his idea for that was trading a 2nd for aj freakin feeley.

he destroyed a playoff team in three seasons with terrible management and no understanding of offensive football.
Harsh. He had a philosophy (ie punting isn’t a sin) that may be contrary to how you would’ve run a team, but he’s light years better than anyone on this list. No one with his win loss record should even be considered compared to the tragedies we’ve had at HC. Wanny won a lot of football games here with his philosophy.

One-Wanny had GM power---Bypassed Drew Brees for Jamar Flechter...spelling?....end of story.
Get real man. We can do this type of thing every single draft. Every single one.

and this poll is HC.

You should have removed Cam Cameron from the list since h'es the obvious run away answer. It's like asking who the GOAT WR is we all know it's Jerrry Rice the more intriguing question is who's the 2nd best WR of all time.

it depends on what metric you’re using for evaluation. pure leadership and coaching skills? sure Cam was probably the worst. who did the most lasting damage? it’s a tie berween that POS Saban and Wansteadt. Both of those morons passed on Breese and set this Franchise back 20 years. They also both had a penchant for drafting busts and trading away picks.

He shouldn't be on the list. It always amuses me when Dave Wannstedt is assigned such remarkable power he was responsible for 10-20 years to follow. Ten is standard but I knew I'd see 20 in this thread. Sure enough.

Those were fun teams to watch. Hard trying and overachieving. Excellent point differential and point spread records. Of all the years I was in Las Vegas the Wannstedt years were easily the ones in which I was wagering on the Dolphins more than against them. His teams cooperated when they fit the positive angles.

I'll never understand why there was such lofty expectation of those teams by Dolphin fans. Baffled the heck out of me. I wasn't posting here but I was on some Dolphin site. Google related, I think...alt.sports.football. Apparently I'm still listed there because I receive emails from time to time. The excellent poster Lloyd Heilbrunn was there. He posts here also. There was one guy on that site who kept insisting that the Dolphins were "primed" for a championship yet Wannstedt blew it. I guess that was the consensus here also.

Meanwhile the YPPA Differential was nothing. If I remember correctly it was something like -.1 to +.8 during those seasons 2000 through 2003. That is non competitive. The best teams now are +2.0 range but then it was often closer to +3.0. Miami's pass defense was lousy on the road, which partially accounted for the mediocre defensive YPA. Offensive YPA wasn't special anywhere.

Every reference point indicated the Dolphins were a consistently overachieving team. I was pointing out all of this on that Google site but it was drowned out by that insistence that the Dolphins were "primed."

He shouldn't be on the list. It always amuses me when Dave Wannstedt is assigned such remarkable power he was responsible for 10-20 years to follow. Ten is standard but I knew I'd see 20 in this thread. Sure enough.

Those were fun teams to watch. Hard trying and overachieving. Excellent point differential and point spread records. Of all the years I was in Las Vegas the Wannstedt years were easily the ones in which I was wagering on the Dolphins more than against them. His teams cooperated when they fit the positive angles.

I'll never understand why there was such lofty expectation of those teams by Dolphin fans. Baffled the heck out of me. I wasn't posting here but I was on some Dolphin site. Google related, I think...alt.sports.football. Apparently I'm still listed there because I receive emails from time to time. The excellent poster Lloyd Heilbrunn was there. He posts here also. There was one guy on that site who kept insisting that the Dolphins were "primed" for a championship yet Wannstedt blew it. I guess that was the consensus here also.

Meanwhile the YPPA Differential was nothing. If I remember correctly it was something like -.1 to +.8 during those seasons 2000 through 2003. That is non competitive. The best teams now are +2.0 range but then it was often closer to +3.0. Miami's pass defense was lousy on the road, which partially accounted for the mediocre defensive YPA. Offensive YPA wasn't special anywhere.

Every reference point indicated the Dolphins were a consistently overachieving team. I was pointing out all of this on that Google site but it was drowned out by that insistence that the Dolphins were "primed."
Basically Wannstedt got screwed imo. Building your offense around a great player who retires just before preseason? Fiedlers broken thumb and Ray Lucas being the worst backup in the NFL.

Back
Top Bottom