The Michael Bennett Option | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Michael Bennett Option

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I like Ronnie Brown and like him even better with Ricky Williams on board to help him out on the carry totals, but I do remember prior to the draft a lot of chatter about our options at runninback.

And, I remember, prior to the whole Whizzinator fiasco with Onterrio Smith, Michael Bennett was one of those options. Trade options were discussed regarding Michael Bennett.

http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/sports/11904934.htm

Unbelievable. The dude just smoked a 9.91 seconds in the 100 meters. That is good enough to have taken 5th place at the last OLYMPICS in Athens, Greece. Guy doesn't even train like Olympic sprinters do, and he's dang near an olympic medal in speed.

I'm not sayin anything, not saying we should or should not have gotten him, or that we should or should not have gotten Ronnie, or that we should or should not have let Ricky come back. But there was a lot of discussion around here about the merits of Michael Bennett. I seem to remember a lot of folks down on him because of his injury history, some even suggesting he lost speed etc.

I think we'll be happy with Ronnie Brown. But, I also think the Vikings will end up happy with Michael Bennett. His injury history isn't really as extensive as some have made it out to be.

That straightaway, sprinter speed doesn't always translate to the NFL. I think a RB's most important skills are his vision, followed by his agility, than maybe power, than I think top speed. But it doesn't matter how fast a guy is if he can't stay on the field. And if he doesn't have the power to break tackles, what good is that breakaway speed?

Yea i read that somewhere...and I couldn't believe it...he is soo fast and a force to be dealt with in the NFC..glad thats not our problem...he will be my second round RB grab for my yahoo fantasy league...steal...Ronnie is my third round choice of course...im confident with our rbs and Linehans ability to use them in his sophisticated screens and run plays.

i mewntioned something like this around draft time when everyone was throwing around trade scenarious with minny for there 2 first round picks. a deal involving bennett cuz of his great speed. it def didnt get a good response, it was along the lines of, he sucks, he gets hurt alot, hes not really that fast anyway, maybe people just dont like my ideas!

It was widely known since he entered the league that michael bennett was one of, if noth the, fastest players in the league.........

But I am VERY skeptical of that time.......who clocked him?? Was it an electronic time? I doubt it. I know he is fast, but I think that time may be skewed by human error.

Normally that straight sprinters speed doesnt translate but it seems to be translating just fine for Bennett and Kevin Jones. One player is a fluke, two you start to wonder if its the begining of a trend.

Stay tuned for my upcoming threads: Deion Sanders is Black, Dan Marino is retired, and Terrell Owens is arrogant. They will contain a lot of equally redundant information - much like this thread.

MelbournePhin said:
speed isnt everything. remember james jett? (wr for LA Raiders)
Different position, different skill level. Both bennett and Jones have shown themselves to have a good change of direction and be more than just the type of back who gets 2-3 big plays a game and does nothing else. Theyve shown they can grind it it out; in bennett's case he just needs to stay healthy and jones just needs more time to prove himself further after leading the league in rushing yards the 2nd half of last year. Speed isnt everything at RB but it adds a very nice dimension.

It's one thing to turn a sprinter into a football player, it's another IMO to have a football player who has olympic sprinter speed. Bennett is a good runningback. He's shown that before. IMO, if he stays healthy, he'll continue to be an excellent runningback.

vikes need to learn that boy some route running so he be dangerous as a reciever too

Back
Top Bottom