The mock offseason of substantial impossibility | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The mock offseason of substantial impossibility

SCLSU Mud Dogs

Foosball is the devil
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
I'm no fortune teller. I wouldn't even call myself smart. But here's my take at a mock offseason of moves that make sense to me (but probably won't happen).

Cuts: Lawrence Timmons (5.475M saved 2.75M dead), Julius Thomas (6.6M saved)
Restructure: Wake (not quite sure how the contract would work but go from an 8.6M to a 5M cap hit)

Our own:
Jarvis Landry-Not worth $15M a year, so he leaves in free agency.
Ja'Wuan James-pretty sure Miami dropped his 5th year option. I think they'll let him walk and replace him with Jesse Davis.
Sam Young-sign for 1 year, $1.25M
Cody Parkey-sign for 2 years, $2M
Michael Thomas-1 year, $1.25M

As for the rest, Miami's restricted free agents aren't worth the price tag of an original round tender (which will be close to $2M for a one-year deal).

Room left for draft and free agency: $35M

Free agency:

Jeremy Hill, RB: 1 year, $2M—young back that had success early and definitely fell flat as of late.
Marqise Lee, WR: 3 years, $18M (10 gtd, $4M first year cap hit)—not a number 1 receiver but would definitely be capable in a WR committee.
Justin Pugh, G/T: 4 years, $36M (17 gtd, $7M first year cap hit)—played mostly right tackle for the Giants this past season but I'm pretty sure his natural position is left guard. He'd probably help a lot being next to Tunsil, as well.
Joe Berger, C/G: 1 year, $2M—old veteran (36 years old) but insurance for Pouncey and very solid depth.
Avery Williamson, SLB: 3 years, $15M (7.5 gtd, $3.5M first year cap hit)—young strongside linebacker who played decently well for Tennessee
Trey Burton, TE: 3 years, $24M (12 gtd, $6M first year cap hit)—this is kind of a pipe dream, but I think he'd thrive in this offense and be very capable of being that missing piece.

$10.5M left after free agency

Draft:
Round 1: Marcus Davenport, DE, UTSA—raw and from a small school, but with some grooming he could be a great DE
Round 2: Braden Smith, G, Auburn—finalizes the offensive line overhaul
Round 3: Troy Fumagalli, TE, Wisconsin—another weapon for an offense that loses its top target in Jarvis Landry
Round 4a: Shaquem Griffin, OLB, UCF—I truly believe he gets drafted higher than the 4th round, but not many draft websites are projecting him higher than round 5. He only has one hand, but if you watched any UCF games, you'd know what an impact player he is. He's great in coverage, but also has an insane ability to get to the quarterback, considering he's undersized at about 225 pounds. Miami could definitely use him in sub packages and on third down in a multitude of ways.
Round 4b: Michael Gallup, WR, Colorado State—decent WR prospect with solid college production
Round 6: Bo Scarbrough, RB, Alabama—Not sure he lasts this long, but he's a bruiser.

Projected starters and such:
QB: Ryan Tannehill
RB: Kenyan Drake, Jeremy Hill, Bo Scarbrough
TE: Trey Burton, Troy Fumagalli, Marquis Grey
WR: Kenny Stills, DeVante Parker, Marqise Lee, Michael Gallup, Jakeem Grant
LT: Laremy Tunsil
LG: Justin Pugh
C: Mike Pouncey, Joe Berger
RG: Braden Smith
RT: Jesse Davis
DE: Charles Harris, Cameron Wake, Marcus Davenport, Andre Branch
DT: Suh, Phillips, Godchaux, Vincent Taylor
LB: Kiko Alonso, Raekwon McMillan, Avery Williamson, Shaquem Griffin
CB: Xavien Howard, Tony Lippett, Cordrea Tankersly, Bobby McCain
S: Reshad Jones, TJ McDonald, Michael Thomas

There you have it. Flame away.

Nice work. Two points:
* I really want a true FS...either for a 3 safety look and/or because I dont like interchangeable safeties. Thoughts on this?
* Would you keep Hayes at DE if we can get him for a decent price and there is confidence that he bounces back from the injury? I liked him as a run stopper and hustle player...

Miami dropped James's option? When? Link? Sorry if true, I just hadn't heard it.

Man I would do just about anything to Get Shaqeem Griffin on this team..

the culture could use a kid like this, the defense could use his game.

he's a gifted defensive football player who plays calm and cool when diagnosing, the explodes, built with intrinsic ability to maneuver quickly to point B, and counter athletically in a fraction of a second to an offenders move, without hesitation and wasted steps, he's fast, quick, and overall athletic...and oh yeah, because of his one arm, he's very very creative when getting to the qb..

Last edited:
You are smart

tenor.gif

I didn't love your first rounder but when Troy Fumagali showed up I was happy about it. This is one player that I've watched a bit at Wisconsin and he's very hard to cover. He catches everything and his catch radius isn't too shabby either and he even likes to block. Fumagali would be a great welcome home gift for Tannehill. I feel this prospect has a super good chance to be effective right away in the NFL.

Well seeing as he only listed 38 players, I’m assuming he isn’t listing all players on the 53 man roster

I'd be ok with a developmental QB late and go forward with Moore as backup. He is good in spot duty

I actually like what you’ve done here with the exception of signing any free agent running back. There are just way too many I love in the draft.

Tannchise beat me to it. The QB room is going to be lonely for RT.
the backup qb on this team has to be the 2nd most important position, especially after the ordeal this offseason. You cannot win with Matt Moore. Sure, he might provide a spark here and there, but he can't win. Foles is going to the SB for Pete's Sake. In addition, there is the injury concern of Tannehill. There are those who are self-proclaimed doctor's here that think it will never happen to him again. They are also the ones that are complaining about a terrible line for 12 years and essentially is the reason he is hurt. There is also the future. Miami owes it to them to have a strategic plan

Back
Top Bottom