The more I think about it..... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The more I think about it.....

Taking a QB is risky, but in football you need to take risks. If I were the GM I would take Smith or Rogers because I don't think Feeley's ceiling is that high. He may end up being a solid QB, but I don't see him making to many visits to Hawaii. Smith and Rogers have the potential to make quite a few trips there. Will they ever realize that potential? That is the risk. But big risks yeild big rewards though, and Smith or Rogers could end up being a very big reward. If we end up with a RB I won't have a temper tantrum or anything, but if I had my druthers I would go QB.

mor911 said:
I know, I was just looking for a chance to take a shot at him... But Brady isn't Joe Mantana like ESPN like to compare him to.

why did joe montana get lifted so such a standard? the guy was playing along. :D

ether79 said:
When Julius played he was better than those 2 last year, in the end i dont know who will be the best out of those three though.

****... even eddie george ran well against the giants...

it's still to close to call for that class of RBs. they all did very well last year. hell, i think jackson looked the best, albeit in limited time. the rams are going to be just fine at RB after faulk retires.

see i see it the opposite with the signing bonus' and backloaded contracts these rookies get... by drafting a QB and giving him all that cash hes gotta play eventually, everyone acts like its a good situatoin SD has but its not, rivers next year will be going on his 3rd year collecting millions of dollars and still not NFL ready, and brees has turned into an all star, they are screwed if brees has another goo dyear...

when you take these young QBs and give them this high amount of money it forces teams into playing them early to get something out of these millions of dollars they are spending, at least with a RB and a big contract/bonus you know you're getting production immediately and getting something for that money... as with a QB who sits for a few years and maybe wont even pan out its much more risky...

IMO

mor911 said:
I think having a good RB allows you to have a screw-up prone QB and get away with it... You heard of a guy named Tom Brady and Corey Dillon?

Tom Brady is hardly a screw-up QB. I think a better analogy would be LT and Drew Brees in the years before Drew stopped screwing up. There's no question that LT is one of the finest RBs in the NFL yet SD stunk without an effective QB.

I don't think San Diego is screwed, they are talking about acquiring the number 1 pick this year for Rivers. If Brees has another good year then then you trade him or Rivers next year. I don't think it would be hard to trade a good, young qb or young qb prospect. Also I don't think a qb will get a higher signing bonus than a running back. I believe it is almost like the positions are slotted based on what other picks got around your draft position. The money you get is based more on draft position than the position you play.

arsenal said:
see i see it the opposite with the signing bonus' and backloaded contracts these rookies get... by drafting a QB and giving him all that cash hes gotta play eventually, everyone acts like its a good situatoin SD has but its not, rivers next year will be going on his 3rd year collecting millions of dollars and still not NFL ready, and brees has turned into an all star, they are screwed if brees has another goo dyear...

when you take these young QBs and give them this high amount of money it forces teams into playing them early to get something out of these millions of dollars they are spending, at least with a RB and a big contract/bonus you know you're getting production immediately and getting something for that money... as with a QB who sits for a few years and maybe wont even pan out its much more risky...

IMO

The problem is you're not just paying a RB, you're overpaying. A RB is rarely worth the money at #2. To ever get value from a RB eating such a large % of your cap he has to be exceptional. He has to be in the discussions about all-time greats. A QB just has to be decent to justify a large cap hit. IMO the odds of any RB being worth #2 money are much higher than a QB reaching that status.

Noodleman said:
I don't think San Diego is screwed, they are talking about acquiring the number 1 pick this year for Rivers. If Brees has another good year then then you trade him or Rivers next year. I don't think it would be hard to trade a good, young qb or young qb prospect. Also I don't think a qb will get a higher signing bonus than a running back. I believe it is almost like the positions are slotted based on what other picks got around your draft position. The money you get is based more on draft position than the position you play.

if they trade him they'll have a huge cap hit, not to mention incentives they have to pay him... heres his contract

The contract will pay Rivers about $40.5 million, including a $14.25 million signing bonus. He can earn about $10 million more in incentives.

theyd take about a 7mil cap hit having to trade him not to mention already paying a backup QB about 20 million dollars over 2 years... its crazy... then are they going to get the same value for him where he was drafted ? doubt it... its not as good a situation as you guys make it out for SD... if they cant deal him this eyar they will be screwed going into next year with either
A) brees whos established himself as one of the better QBs but having to most likely settle on a deal for rivers since he'll eating up all this cash and taking the cap hit with it...
B) trade/release their all-pro QB and go int othe season with a 3rd year QB with no playing experience who will start to get more money with extra incentives...

i dont want that situation... not to mention imagine if they would have chosen someone else, like one of those top WRs from last year htey woulda been a much better team than having to pay rivers millions of dollars to ride the bench...

and yeah a QB and RB might get the same amount depending on the draft spot, but whos gonna earn that money more? the RB obviously cause they will come in and start right away... wihle a QB will sit for at least a year, then prob come in midway year 2 (if feeley bombs) struggle a bit and not be really effective (HOPEFULLY) till year 3 when hes already raking in the big bucks, while by year 3 your RB is at the top of his game and a 2 time probowler who earned the money from the first 3 years of his contract...

rafael said:
The problem is you're not just paying a RB, you're overpaying. A RB is rarely worth the money at #2. To ever get value from a RB eating such a large % of your cap he has to be exceptional. He has to be in the discussions about all-time greats. A QB just has to be decent to justify a large cap hit. IMO the odds of any RB being worth #2 money are much higher than a QB reaching that status.

lol@all time greats...

id rather overpay a RB who will at least perform for most of his contract than overpay for a QB who will sit for probably half of his contract terms... whos more worth it?

paying a QB over a 5 year contract 30mil for playing 18 career games, or paying a RB over a 5 year contract 30mil for playing 80 games?

arsenal said:
lol@all time greats...

id rather overpay a RB who will at least perform for most of his contract than overpay for a QB who will sit for probably half of his contract terms... whos more worth it?

paying a QB over a 5 year contract 30mil for playing 18 career games, or paying a RB over a 5 year contract 30mil for playing 80 games?

I'd rather pay the QB who has a better chance to someday be worth the contract. Then I'd find a lesser touted prospect at RB. At RB all you need is about 1000-1200 yds and a guy who picks up third downs. The difference between 1200 yds and 1800 yds means little in the win column and even less in advancing through the playoffs. So the RB may provide some value in terms of ticket sales and jersey sales, but little in terms of victories.

Noodleman said:
the more I think the Fins should take Alex Smith. I am not a scout, but with the signing bonus a number 2 pick is going to command, I think you should draft a QB over a running back. While I really like Brown, Benson, and Williams there are alot of other good backs that could be had in the later rounds(Think Julius Jones,IMO the best back in last years draft). When you look at the qbs there are interesting guys later, but Smith and Rodgers are in a class by themselves over the other qbs. In recap, I believe it is much harder to find a good QB than it is to find a good running back. At worse, we are in the same dilemma the chargers are in now. Not a bad situation, if Feeley does well then we trade him or Smith for a high draft choice next year.

The issue to me, is that neither Smith nor Rodgers are worthy of the #2 pick...it is being said that they both would rank lower than the top 3 QBs taken last year and Losman is on par with them (as far as scouting rankings go, not draftniks). That is too high a price to pay for a 30% chance that the guy helps us THIS year. On the other hand, a RB or WR would almost definitely impact our team THIS year. If Saban did what you are suggesting, we would be in the same situation that the Chargers are in now...a guy that has proven his play on the field vs a guy that has great promise and more than likely, in the long run will have a better career than Brees. It' a tough call, but if we cannot trade down, you have to go with a guy who will impact your team this year, since the QBs are not of the quality that you expect at the top of the draft.

LarryFinFan said:
The issue to me, is that neither Smith nor Rodgers are worthy of the #2 pick...it is being said that they both would rank lower than the top 3 QBs taken last year and Losman is on par with them (as far as scouting rankings go, not draftniks). That is too high a price to pay for a 30% chance that the guy helps us THIS year. On the other hand, a RB or WR would almost definitely impact our team THIS year. If Saban did what you are suggesting, we would be in the same situation that the Chargers are in now...a guy that has proven his play on the field vs a guy that has great promise and more than likely, in the long run will have a better career than Brees. It' a tough call, but if we cannot trade down, you have to go with a guy who will impact your team this year, since the QBs are not of the quality that you expect at the top of the draft.

Do you have a link to that? The reason I ask is that I've seen you post that opinion several times yet I've only seen one comparison between 2004 and 2005. That comparison directly contradicts your claim that this year's top QB are rated lower than last year's.

rafael said:
Do you have a link to that? The reason I ask is that I've seen you post that opinion several times yet I've only seen one comparison between 2004 and 2005. That comparison directly contradicts your claim that this year's top QB are rated lower than last year's.

everyones opinion is differnt, some will say they do compare, some will say they dont...

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfl/draft05/news/story?id=2023594

One rumor that is picking up speed has the 49ers dealing this pick in exchange for Chargers QB Philip Rivers. It might not come to fruition, but it certainly makes sense for both sides. The Chargers would then have three first-round picks and their starting quarterback of the future in Drew Brees. The 49ers, on the other hand, would get a better quarterback prospect than they could find in this draft, as Rivers grades out considerably higher than Rodgers and Alex Smith (Utah).

Noodleman said:
Brady and the Pats won a super bowl with Antowain Smith. The most important position on the field is a QB. I am not saying that Feeley is not going to be good, but when is the next time we will have an opportunity to get the top qb in a draft?(hopefully not for a long time):)

Brady and the Pats won a SB with good Defense. The Offense benefited, but lets not deny that Antowain Smith had good games in the playoff, that OL did a nice job.

Why would we even draft another Qb i mean we got three already i mean we havent given feeley frerrote or rosenfels a chance in this offense who knows this season could go are way if we do all the right things and fill some more holes ;)

Back
Top Bottom