The most underrated Dolphins in history? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The most underrated Dolphins in history?

Lee2000

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
Who are the most underrated Dolphins in history? This can be anyone guys, including special teams. There are several that come to mind for me. Tim Foley had a consistent performance. Irving Fryar improved dramatically with Miami. Don Nottingham was a fan favorite. There are many names that come to mind. Please come up with some of your own.

Lee2000

The first name that comes to mind is Fiedler. He was an avg. QB, but if you listen to many fans (I don't) he was always the worst QB in the league.

might sound stupid but Larry Czonka...the guy was guarenteed 4-5 yards everytime he touched the ball, no exceptions

Without a doubt Reggie Roby, best black punter in league history.

clear.gif

Howard Twilley. Too slow, too short, all he did was make 3rd down conversions, every time. He stated one time, "f I can touch it, I can catch it", and he did. Griese's $ man when the game was on the line.

Lee2000 said:
Who are the most underrated Dolphins in history? This can be anyone guys, including special teams. There are several that come to mind for me. Tim Foley had a consistent performance. Irving Fryar improved dramatically with Miami. Don Nottingham was a fan favorite. There are many names that come to mind. Please come up with some of your own.

Lee2000
Crash Jensen and OJ Mcduffie for their 3rd down conversions. Since we're talking underrated here I would have to throw in the entire No Name defense as well.

Irving Fryar, Keith Jackson, Mark Duper underrated????? Hardly.

OJ *maybe* but really there was just one season that *may* have justified his being referred to as "underrated" in the sense of the national media. Among Dolphin fans, he was hyped up to the hilt. He was good, don't get me wrong, but he got recognized for it, at least among Dolphin fans.

Nat Moore is one. The guy was a great receiver, but the Dolphins didn't throw much early in his career, and he also lost a few years of productivity with David Woodley at QB. But, look at the monster year he had in 1977 when the Dolphins opened up the passing game. And look at how good he was with Marino, late in his career.

I think Tony Nathan was underrated. The guy was a great receiver out of the backfield, and he averaged 4.8 yards per carry for his career. Shula loved to use multiple RBs, and Tony just never got enough carries to put up big numbers. Look at his 1981 season. 50 catches for 452 yards, and 782 yards rushing (5.3 yards per carry).

Mercury Morris is also a bit underrated. He was an amazing big play back, averaging 5.1 yards per carry for his career. Look at 1973. He ran for 954 yards, averaging 6.4 yards per carry with 10 TDs. Again, Shula loved to use multiple RBs, and Kiick and Csonka took carries away from Merc. It's hard to say if Mercury would have held up under the bigger workloads, but it would have been fun to see what would have happened if he had a 250 carry season while in his prime.

Others who I think were underrated:
Ed Newman- 4-time Pro Bowler
Earnie Rhone- leader of the killer B's
Bob Brudzinski- a great run stuffer
Steve Towle- a tackling machine, 217 in 1976!
Vern Den Herder- a very productive player for a very long time

Tommy Vigirito....the old school Wes Welker. :)

The first name to come to mind before I scrolled down the thread was Earnie Rhone, glad to see a couple of others think of him too. I also agree with Rusty Chambers and Steve Towle. A couple of others I think of off the top of my head are Norm Evans and Mark Dennard.

The whole "No Name Defense", one of the best Defense of all time and they don`t get enough credit; specially Manny Fernandez, Van Den Herder and Dick Anderson . . . .

Back
Top Bottom