the name "griese" doesn't breed success | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

the name "griese" doesn't breed success

i2panzer

Practice Squad
Reaction score
i mean it's ridiculous at this point. i understand the whole give him a chance thing. i'm fine with it. if he is better then fiedler, i want him to start. i just don't think he is.

In Denver he had the perfect situation! he always had a 1000 yard back, great WR and an awesome TE. whats the excuse?

Rod Smith, Ed Mccaffrey, Shannon Sharpe, Clinton Portis, great offensive line!!!!! EVERY POSITION IS AS GOOD AS IT GETS!

not to mention he had help with the defense. a solid Line, the fastest LB in the league and some major talent (2nd to the Steelers overall), and you have a pretty good secondary with some pro-bowlers.

whats the problem? i don't get it... if it was the "pressure" then he'll fail in miami! he couldn't live in John Elways shoes, how can he live in Dan Marino's, and his own fathers Bob Griese!

IF griese starts, he'll be in the same offense fiedler is in... the offense is so predictable every team they've played has loved pointing it out. it's still Run, Run, Pass... no QB is going to make a huge difference right now.. not until NT opens last seaons playbook when fiedler had a 108 QB rating (first 6 starts).

if he is better, then i'm all for him starting... but everyone acts like because his last name is griese it means something.. it's only a name not his talent. give him a chance? ok, whatever... no problem there. but don't give him the team MVP award before the guy has even played a down.

with that thread title, i thought you were going to be dissing Bob Griese.

after reading, i agree with most of your points, except that things might be different for the guy after riding the pine lately, maybe that would give him a little more motivation.

but, as you said, give the guy a chance...

Speaking of Bob....wasn't he a weak armed QB in charge of a run first-play good D, type of ball club? I'm not comparing anything here except to say, it's about playing mistake free and EVERYBODY doing THEIR job. That was how we had the BEST TEAM in the league for three years back in the day.

I think the bueprint is right, it's the talent that's lacking..in order to make up for lack of talent, execution, decision making and technique needs to be top notch. When we have this, it doesn't matter if we are run run pass because it usually equals 4, 4, 6....First down!

Sorry to go off topic.

As for Griese, I don't have much faith in him doing any better than Jay. He's no Bob.

Apparently the name "Fiedler" hasn't bred much success either.

Sorry, it was just lying there and somebody had to take it.:tongue:

The problem with Griese is that he got hurt every year. And that seems to have taken a toll. His defense was not "all that" the last few years. Last year they started out stout, but ran out of gas and tailed off following the heartbreaking loss to our Phins.

That offensive line was not as good as it was in the Elway era. They were and still are a great run blocking line (amazing considering they're all under 300 lbs). But they're not among the best in pass protection.

The season-ending injury to Ed McCafferey was devastating to the offense in 2001. And there was no Shannon Sharpe until 2002. So along with playing hurt, he had an injured Rod Smith playing possession and a stable of nice TEs as his only outlets. The passing game was very inhibited.

Again, it wasn't as star-studded as people make it out to be. But it was a good situation. He wasn't the best fit for that offense, but he made it work for a while. Injuries and personal problems did him in in Denver.

Good post Muck.

The only way to see if Griese can do a better job is to give him the ball with this team. Saying he wasn't that good in Denver is true, but a lot of guys weren't that good before going to a new team. Gannon, Favre, Warner are all former (or current) NFL mvps and it's because they had a perfect fit for them after going to a new team. Is Miami the perfect fit for Griese ? I don't know, but we won't know until someone gives him the chance to do so.

Originally posted by FinsGoToGuy
Good post Muck.

The only way to see if Griese can do a better job is to give him the ball with this team. Saying he wasn't that good in Denver is true, but a lot of guys weren't that good before going to a new team. Gannon, Favre, Warner are all former (or current) NFL mvps and it's because they had a perfect fit for them after going to a new team. Is Miami the perfect fit for Griese ? I don't know, but we won't know until someone gives him the chance to do so.

true, but don't add gannon to that list. he had 1 good season, and thats that. he didn't even deserve the MVP. Steve mcnair anyone?

the key for fiedler OR brian griese is just to not make mistakes. the player who can do that, while having some decent games they'll get the job.

Just food for thought (for me):

Can everyone point out to me why Sage isn't the ideal starter.
I'm not being sarcastic or comeback-ish with that....I really want to know.

I realize Sage lacks experience (playing time), but that is something that can only be changed by playing him. I still think Jay can be better, but until our line shapes up....that won't happen.

Originally posted by JPhinfan86
Just food for thought (for me):

Can everyone point out to me why Sage isn't the ideal starter.
I'm not being sarcastic or comeback-ish with that....I really want to know.

I realize Sage lacks experience (playing time), but that is something that can only be changed by playing him. I still think Jay can be better, but until our line shapes up....that won't happen.

to be honest (and this is just my opinion) he isn't good. i'm not trying to be a smart *** or anything but does every 3rd string QB just lack expirence? he was OK in preseason, but he is facing players who just hope they can make it on the special team roster. plus in PS he had Edwards/Henry, Tolver, and Simmons. these are all potential starters going against people who just want a spot on the roster.

How else is he going to develop and emerge if he continue's to warm the bench. Personally, i'm not all that keen on yanking Fiedler. However, at the very least- if Fiedler does come out, Griese isn't the man for the job. Sage is a better fit from his knowledge of Miami's offense alone, not to mention he's injury free.

I would be happy to be wrong. If Griese came in and became our Bulger I would be happy to "eat my crow".

Back
Top Bottom