The NBA's First Superstar Passes Away at 80 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The NBA's First Superstar Passes Away at 80

TerryTate

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. – George Mikan, professional basketball's first dominant big man, who led the Minneapolis Lakers to five NBA championships, died at a Scottsdale rehabilitation center, family members said Thursday. He was 80.

Mikan had suffered from diabetes and kidney failure. One leg was amputated several years ago, and he recently was hospitalized for six weeks for treatment of a diabetes wound in the other leg. He also underwent kidney dialysis three days a week.

Last Saturday, he was moved from the hospital to a rehabilitation center, his son, Terry, said. He died Wednesday night, according to family members.

http://espn.go.com/classic/obit/s/2005/0602/2074322.html

RIP George!

clear.gif

Wow, I just saw on ESPN and was about to post it here. I had recently just seen a biography of him on TV not too long ago. During his time period he dominated and was really ahead of his time. I wish I had gotten the chance to grow up to see him play. A sad HUGE loss in the world of basketball.

R.I.P. George

I wish his family the best. It is a tough time for them. I have never seen George play but the first 5 out of 6 championships is impressive.

Was not alive when he played but from what I understand he change the game and helped made what the NBA is today. R.I.P.

They say George was the orignal "big man" in the NBA, sad to see him go.He was the first of the Lakers great big man tradition.

Back
Top Bottom